By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo NX - Are 6 Months Enough Time To Advertise?

Tagged games:

bunchanumbers said:
I actually think that 6 months is too long. A proper viral campaign where its trending all over social media would be just as good as a 100 million dollar campaign. There's only 2 shots they absolutely need. They need that shot where everyone is standing in line and are absolutely pumped up for it. The other one is a shot of someone saying that all their friends that they know are buying this console. Even if the second shot is a lie. They need that shot.

But a product trending can be just as bad as it is good. Think of all the things MS could have done to fix its image with the xbone if they had more time than 6 months to get it to market.

Around the Network

Those decisions that MS made couldn't have been fixed. That was a perception thing that no amount of advertising could fix. The only things that could fix it were time and a concerted effort to show change. MS has done both things and now Xbox One is doing well thanks to the S model and the Scorpio announcement. Nintendo just needs to make sure they don't drive people away from NX like MS did with the X1. Zelda is a launch title. They just need to show the games, show that the NX version blows the Wii U version away and people will go after it.

bunchanumbers said:
Those decisions that MS made couldn't have been fixed. That was a perception thing that no amount of advertising could fix. The only things that could fix it were time and a concerted effort to show change. MS has done both things and now Xbox One is doing well thanks to the S model and the Scorpio announcement. Nintendo just needs to make sure they don't drive people away from NX like MS did with the X1. Zelda is a launch title. They just need to show the games, show that the NX version blows the Wii U version away and people will go after it.

They could have seen the negative backlash to the kinnect and ditched it and dropped the price. That alone would have gotten a lot more sales. And if you don't think a little PR talk and more time to show off games (dead rising 4 for instance that was exclusive) would have done no good than I think your imagination is lacking a bit.

bigtakilla said:
bunchanumbers said:

They could have seen the negative backlash to the kinnect and ditched it and dropped the price. That alone would have gotten a lot more sales. And if you don't think a little PR talk and more time to show off games (dead rising 4 for instance that was exclusive) would have done no good than I think your imagination is lacking a bit.

I think the Kinect thing was just a side thing to complain about. The DRM was the thing that pretty much sunk the X1 for the first few years. I don't think that could have been fixed with a little PR speak. There's videos dedicated to Mattrick and company self destructing after the reveal. Sony execs still sigh wistfully and say 'Remember when MS did that? All we had to do was say 'Always Online.''

MS wasn't coming back from that one for a while.

Guys, the immediate reaction of this for a lot of Xbox and Sony fans are its going to be an expensive handheld with a docking station that allows you to play games on your TV that look practically like 7th gen games on a 9th gen console. What could possibly go wrong with allowing no time to address any of the negative backlash?

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
bigtakilla said:

I think the Kinect thing was just a side thing to complain about. The DRM was the thing that pretty much sunk the X1 for the first few years. I don't think that could have been fixed with a little PR speak. There's videos dedicated to Mattrick and company self destructing after the reveal. Sony execs still sigh wistfully and say 'Remember when MS did that? All we had to do was say 'Always Online.''

MS wasn't coming back from that one for a while.

So you're saying it wouldn't have sold better with a cheaper price tag ($100 cheaper mind you) and a bit more advertising after the fallout of drm? I mean that's your opinion and all, but I would strongly disagree.

RolStoppable said:
bigtakilla said:
Guys, the immediate reaction of this for a lot of Xbox and Sony fans are its going to be an expensive handheld with a docking station that allows you to play games on your TV that look practically like 7th gen games on a 9th gen console. What could possibly go wrong with allowing no time to address any of the negative backlash?

You are insinuating that the majority of Xbox and Sony fans are so stupid that explaining basic stuff to them will take longer than six months.

No I'm saying it may take more than six months to get the actual message of the NX to people who don't surf the web for gaming news. Their first impressions are going to be what a lot of people tell them word of mouth, and it's hard to change first impressions.

bigtakilla said:

The immediate reaction is based on rumors and heresay. What happens if NX is actually a home console that is somewhere between the range of PS4 and Neo? The immediate reaction changes dramatically. If Nintendo shows that NX is a home console that can go toe to toe with the twins then the perception of it will be something entirely different from what it is now.

And you're free to feel that way, but I don't think that MS had any way to come back gracefully from the DRM Always Online fiasco. They didn't have a solid plan and it showed. They tried to stop the backlash with a family sharing plan, some sort of voucher for soldiers overseas, and other random bits. There was no real plan. Meanwhile, Shuuhei and Boyes show how to share a PS4 game by handing it to each other. MS looked like fools. Mattrick had to quit as a result of it. I don't see how corporate speak and a couple commercials bring back MS from that black eye.

RolStoppable said:
bigtakilla said:

No I'm saying it may take more than six months to get the actual message of the NX to people who don't surf the web for gaming news. Their first impressions are going to be what a lot of people tell them word of mouth, and it's hard to change first impressions.

That's assuming that the majority of Nintendo's potential customers takes Xbox and Sony fans seriously.

We would have to assume it as a potential risk, and one they are not giving themselves enough time to react to.

*edit* As it is now, they are giving themselves one shot, and whatever the reaction is and wherever the cards land is where they are going to stay (assuming it releases march 2017).

bunchanumbers said:
bigtakilla said:

The immediate reaction is based on rumors and heresay. What happens if NX is actually a home console that is somewhere between the range of PS4 and Neo? The immediate reaction changes dramatically. If Nintendo shows that NX is a home console that can go toe to toe with the twins then the perception of it will be something entirely different from what it is now.

And you're free to feel that way, but I don't think that MS had any way to come back gracefully from the DRM Always Online fiasco. They didn't have a solid plan and it showed. They tried to stop the backlash with a family sharing plan, some sort of voucher for soldiers overseas, and other random bits. There was no real plan. Meanwhile, Shuuhei and Boyes show how to share a PS4 game by handing it to each other. MS looked like fools. Mattrick had to quit as a result of it. I don't see how corporate speak and a couple commercials bring back MS from that black eye.

If we're talking about beating PS4? No. Are we talking about getting a lot more Xbones out the door? Yes.