By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are you for or against voluntary euthanasia/assisted dying?

I'm...

For it 139 84.24%

Against it 14 8.48%

Undecided 12 7.27%

Total:165

Assuming they are not mentally ill, I am for it. I think people should be able to choose how they die and get the assistance of others to make it easier.

Around the Network

I am against prolong life for too long when the pacient is suffering, so I guess I am in favor of a pacient being able to say: enough, no more medicines, no more operations, let me die in my house, in peace.
Now, I would not ask for a lethal injection, that would be too much.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

One of the most moving documentaries I have witnessed , was based on a case in the Netherlands and it involved an elderly man and his wife , the man had decided to die before his terminal illness left him totally incapacitated , the treating doctor a man in his thirties spent the next few months looking after the patients mental and physical well being at the same time looking out for the wife , while he was doing this he did his utmost to convince the patient to keep on going, but when the time came he ensured the death was as dignified as a death can be.
To me this showed Euthanasia done in the right spirit , with the doctor giving the patient dignified death but advocating for his life up to the end and making sure his resolve was true.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Illusion said:

Thirdly, secularists believe that there is no heaven and hell but, in reality, proponents of euthanasia actually have no idea whatsoever about what lies after this life. Euthanasia is regarded as just being a simple medical treatment when in fact it has enormous implications on one's existence and goes far beyond the scope of medical care. Secularists have no idea what comes after this life and yet they hold euthanasia up as having a 100% success rate to end the patient's suffering. How can they be so sure that it will end the patient's suffering? What if hell is real and the patient ends up going there because of committing suicide? There is no undo button with euthanasia and I find it scary just how quick people are to disregard spiritual matters even though euthanasia goes far beyond just being a medical treatment and is in fact a permanent existential decision that delves into matters that science cannot explain.

Everyone on this planet is born Athiest, my own country is Secular. - Thus when we start talking about medical issues, religious "law" should not be a factor, it's ultimately irrelevent as not everyone believes/follows whatever religion you believe anyway.
Same goes for Same-sex marriage, religious law/standards shouldn't play a part, if you don't agree with it on religious grounds, then that's fine, but don't restrict anyone else's freedom because of your religion, keep it to yourself.

As someone who works in the Health industry and having to assist those with some highly debilitating issues and immense pain, Euthanasia is a HUMANE practice that should be considered for extreme cases with input from professionals, carers and family in a tribunal like environment.
In somewhere like the USA, people don't think twice about executing criminals. (Some who have been found innocent after the fact.) Yet are worried about someone writhing in pain where no help exists? I think that's some pretty terrible double standards in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find people our age not for it. The fact many nations don't allow it (mainly based on age old religious reasons) is stupid in our modern age. Sometimes I hear about how courts forcing someone to live in pain or how a loving family member getting put in jail over assisted suicide, these things make no sense in our culture. If the person is suffering and cannot be cured yet also can't take their own life, and it is their will to do so, then euthanasia is the answer.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
SkepticallyMinded said:
KLXVER said:

Well it should be for people with an incurable sickness that cant move or are in constant pain. Not for people who just want to check out because they are bored...

So you would rather the bored person be forced to continue living or to take action into their own hands and potentially cause a dangerous situation to others around that individual in the event that they choose a more dramatic way out? Makes perfect sense.

But killing people because they are bored make perfect sense...?

For it. End the suffering.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I am for it, provided that there are safeguards preventing possible abuses of Power of Attorney.  It'd be pretty dystopian if the decision could be forced upon unwilling patients.

If the person is in absolute pain, I am for it. But only in that case.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

I am 100% for it, there are worse things than dying. Besides if people want their live to end because they are terminally ill, why not ease their suffering if they want it.

Oh well certain religions are probably against it or something like that. Because when one thinks rational/practical instead of spiritual/emotional there is no reason to be against euthanasia/voluntary assisted dying.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar