By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft: We Think The Future Is Without Console Generations

Not so soon, but eventually there won't be generations like we've come to know them. Thus is the flow of time and Moore's law.

Around the Network

Once gigabit internet becomes a thing, I think the game console's days are numbered.

A Netflix service will come (maybe from Netflix themselves) and you'll get all your games/movies/music ala cart from a streaming service.

That and in a decade or so I think even phones/tablets will be capable of generating near photo realistic graphics, good enough to stream to any display around a house that many people may not care for a dedicated "giant box" console.

bananaking21 said:
KBG29 said:
This needs to happen, and I am glad both Sony and Microsoft are moving in this direction.

The next thing they need to do is build tablets/laptops and cell phones around the PlayStation and Xbox architecture and offer a fully cohesive line-up for home and mobile computing. This is the only stragtagy that can put them on course to compete with Google and Apple.

As a gamer, I need Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to compete and succeed, otherwise an Apple/Google future looks extreamly depressing. Trust me, I feel it in the mobile space already, if home went this way I would die.

they dont need to compete with apple and google. they need to focus on their key and core demographic and cater to them. something that has proven very succesfull to Sony this generation. if they want to compete with apple and google, they are gonna lose, while losing a lot of the core fanbase that made them succesfull in the first place. just look at WiiU

They absolutely have to compete with Apple and Google,  and Ms and Sony are not going to loose.  They only have to sell enough units to be viable and make money doing. 

Gaming is only a small factor in the sale of Xbox and Playstation devices.  If they don't continue to expand the capability of them,  people will just be happy enough tethering their phone or using their Amazon fire box. 

Console gaming is not the vacuum it used to be.  They are competing with PC,  Set top boxes,  and tethered devices.  

As gamers we need to make sure gaming devices maintain a strong position in the market.  If PC,  tablets,  and smartphones rule the roost,  gaming is going to turn in to a heap of garbage. Again just look at what has happened to mobile gaming since smartphones killed off Vita and 3DS.  We can't let this happen to home gaming next. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Shadow1980 said:

Yoshida makes a throwaway "It's an 'if'" comment, and that comment made it to the media from a second-hand source so we're not even sure exactly what exactly he said or if he was being serious, and yet some people think it's confirmation that generations as we know them are done. Yet more baseless doom-mongering. There's no reason to think the Neo & Scorpio are just one-off things fundamentally no different than what the New 3DS is to the regular 3DS.

Doom-mongering. Right...

It's only doom for people paralyzed by the fear of change. It's not doom; it's progress.

CaptainExplosion said:

Yes, but what if it's progress that leaves people like us in the dust?

What are you even talking about? It won't. The concept of generationless consoles isn't complicated. It just means that everything can play everything, to an extent. No one is being left behind.

Around the Network

so that means it's now back to Nintendo, and Sony to duke it out once more for supremacy of the living room.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

There are so many signposts now that I'm certain most people will be looking in the right direction.

The PS5 Exists. 

Chazore said:
KBG29 said:
This needs to happen, and I am glad both Sony and Microsoft are moving in this direction.

The next thing they need to do is build tablets/laptops and cell phones around the PlayStation and Xbox architecture and offer a fully cohesive line-up for home and mobile computing. This is the only stragtagy that can put them on course to compete with Google and Apple.

As a gamer, I need Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo to compete and succeed, otherwise an Apple/Google future looks extreamly depressing. Trust me, I feel it in the mobile space already, if home went this way I would die.

I don't know why you need them to. You already have a choice between WIndows, Linux and Mac OS's for laptops and desktop computers, Apple Tablets as well as Android and of course MS ones as well.

I don't want to have 3 or 4 different OS's for my computing needs.  As a consumer I want all of my tech to talk,  and I want all of my purchased software to work whether I am using a stationary home device,  a large portable,  a phone,  or vr/AR. 

Microsoft is already heading in this direction with UWA,  and I think it is the greatest thing in the world. It is absolutely illogical to have an Xbox,  an Android,  a Mac,  and a Sony TV.  People that fracture the market like this are just making life harder for themselves and everyone else.  

If Apple fans buy only apple devices and Sony fans Sony device and so on and so forth,  then that will make the market so much stronger. Furthermore having the same tech in your Home Computer,  You Laptop/Tablet,  your Phone,  and your VR/AR devices makes development a dream,  and results in much higher quality software. 

This is why we need a Playstation and Xbox line of phones and laptop/tablets.  We need cohesive ecosystems,  and we need options that are built around make world class gaming and entertainment experiences. 

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

CaptainExplosion said:
KBG29 said:

You mean make gaming tablets/laptops and phones but not consoles anymore?

I mean add portable and mobile devices to the line-up.  

Yes,  these would be gaming focused laptops/tablets and phones.  You would have you base Xbox on the big screen.  You have your laptop/tablet Xbox for around the house,  in the garage,  etc.,  and you have a mobile Xbox to replace your phone. Finally you have a vr/AR Xbox down the road that can be used for basically infinite tasks. 

All form factors run on the same family of chips,  with all software and OS features being shared.  This is a seamless experience between devices. Everything,  everywhere,  on every device. 

If that is not the pinnical of where computing should go,  then I don't know what we are even trying to progress for. 

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

NX would be sorta new gen right..? Don't know where to put that xD but PS5 will most likely be a thing and I'm guessing there will be another Xbox.