By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Metroid Prime: Federation Force - Metacritic: 66 | GameRanking: 68% | Opencritic: 67

Are you interested in Federation Force?

Yes 29 17.16%

A bit 46 27.22%

No 77 45.56%

Don't have a 3DS anyways 17 10.06%

Total:169

Please lower the rating or make it higher. This game doesn't deserve such a god tier number

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

If not for the name choice, this game might have had a better public reception. It doesn't look bad to me at all.

Scores updated.

Well a 71 despite the amount of hate it had is not that terrible after all.

Biggest issue was to put the name Metroid Prime on it, other than that it just looks like a kind of generic but competent handheld shooter with a fun multiplayer.

Goodnightmoon said:
Scores updated.

Biggest issue was to put the name Metroid Prime on it, other than that it just looks like a kind of generic but competent handheld shooter with a fun multiplayer.

Yeah, but user review score is 5.6.

BigHailFan said:
Goodnightmoon said:
Scores updated.

Yeah, but user review score is 5.6.

The user score of this game was always gonna be low, most youtube video with federation force on it get tons of dislikes within minutes, is one of the most hated games ever on the internet. If something is surprising that the user score is not in red.

Around the Network

Is all this hate genuine. I love metroid but I just couldn't feel passionate hatred because of a shared name. Spin offs aren't uncommon and I've not seen people have such extreme issues in the past.

Maybe it's more about shared hatred online rather than real hatred. As if it's more like joining in with a meme than feeling the emotion. I certainly find it hard imagining the hatred causing any measurable biasing of the reviews. It wouldn't begin to affect my judgment and I'd expect the same is true for most people who are reviewing it.

JRPGfan said:
Leadified said:
Score seems just about in the range that I expected. Despite it not being very Metroid it still seems like a decent game, maybe when the anti-hype dies down it will see some more positive reception from the fans.

Also you notice all the really positive scores are from review sites with "nintendo" part of their name.

Come on that's not true at all.

CGMagazine: Metroid Prime: Federation Force is not only the best FPS on the 3DS, but perhaps one of my favorite FPS games ever. 95/100

Kotaku: It's actually very good! A smartly-designed and surprisingly-strategic shooter best played in co-op. 

Cheat Code Central: Had it been released under a different name, it'd be a perfectly serviceable mutliplayer mech adventure, but even with the Metroid name it's well worth picking up for a fun little weekend jaunt, especially if you're the type to return again and again to a game to best your previous scores and advance from there, you'll find an excellent entry in the Metroid series here. 8/10

Gaming Nexus: Enjoyable once you learn the controls, but it feels like it was more geared towards multiplayer. The ammo capacity and mod restrictions force you to think strategically about what to take on each mission which can be both good and bad depending on how you look at it. 8/10

From the 7 positive reviews this game has on Metacritic only 2 of them have the Nintendo name on it, and you know what? The only negative score of the game comes from a place called Nintendo Enthusiast:

Nintendo Enthusiast: Not a good game at all. When you find yourself just wanting to complete levels to see if the game ever changes and gets better, that’s a sign that something is very wrong. The core gameplay is simplistic, boring, and not the level of quality one would expect from a Metroid game. Other M may have been the most fan-derided Metroid game until now, but Federation Force will easily take the crown from here on out. 4.5/10

Better scores than some AAA games.

So it's between basically ok and pretty good and best given a hard look if you have 2 or 3 friends to play with. Not surprised to see this, but with like 3 tweaks this could have been an 8+ spinoff with a lot more respect. Make the 4 troopers characters to help establish connection to the universe rather than faceless avatars, change the art style to better align with Hunters and other Prime games, and adjust the game level structure and design to give it a more cohessive feeling of being interconnected rather than just levels.

Nuvendil said:
So it's between basically ok and pretty good and best given a hard look if you have 2 or 3 friends to play with. Not surprised to see this, but with like 3 tweaks this could have been an 8+ spinoff with a lot more respect. Make the 4 troopers characters to help establish connection to the universe rather than faceless avatars, change the art style to better align with Hunters and other Prime games, and adjust the game level structure and design to give it a more cohessive feeling of being interconnected rather than just levels.

The scores are misleading. Only 38% of the reviewers recommend the game according to Opencritic.