By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - All Wii Sales Predictions neglect a sub $200 PS3

Sigh...

@theshoe23
I'm almost at a loss of words. Pray tell me what exactly did you state as FACTS in your op? It's hard for me to see a lot of factual information there, at least there are very little references to known facts. In fact (pun intended), most of it seems just pure opinion.

Around the Network
theshoe23 said:
FJ-Warez said:
theshoe23 said:

So in conclusion, the PS2 won on tried and true standards in gaming and broad library.

Tell me please, which library is going to appeal more to the gamers??? The PS3 one or the Wii one???

Remember the market is not full of "hardcore gamers"...

There you go again with "hardcore gamers". There are really only two types of gamers. People that play video games and people that try to play games. Grandma's, soccer moms, etc, play Wii games because they are easy, and are fun. But people who play games play fun games with some strategy and some required skill. Even if that skill is button mashing.

Thats the point, the so called hardcore gamers (as a decisive force) doesn't exist, this is why the great and migthy exclusives of the PS2 sold kinda poorly, SoC, MGS, GoW, you name it, the appeal of the library as a whole is what made the PS2 a successfull console, thats why the PS3 is not going to win this war, they aimed just to the small group of gamers who buy this kind of games...

This is one of the reasons of the success of the Wii, the library as a whole appeal to a more broaded group (Like the PS2)...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Im not sure if your being sarcastic the very mention of Michael Pachter and taking what he says serious like he is actually gonna be correct this one time (we can only hope he will be correct about something at some point) just makes me think your not being serious and you just want to stir trouble, coupled with the fact of most of what you said makes little sence and is far removed from reality.

theshoe23 said:

Here comes the "Nuh-uhs". "They can never drop the price that much until the generation is almost over" Lets remember Sony dropped the price $200 in less than one year.  Actually, they only dropped it $100 and are still losing money. Don't think they won't do it again, especially with the line up of games they have coming in 2008 and 2009. A $199 PS3 with the games it has coming will do EXTREMELY well. So would a $199 Wii, or a $199 360 Premium for that matter.  Doesn't make it any less of a fantasy.  Also, don't give me the "Sony is bleeding money", because its not true anymore (its debatable as to whether they ever bled money). Losing more money in one year than they ever made on the PS2 is not bleeding money?  They made money last quarter on strong software sales and PS2 sales alone, the PS3 hardware is still losing money as they've said in their financial reports (it will be until later this year at the earliest).  Try reading instead of just making up fantasy land information.  Also, where is all this Nintendo love coming from? A wacky controller does not make up for the fact that the same system, released as the GameCube didn't do too well.  It's already passed the GC and has sold more systems in less time than any other console that ever existed, it's relation to the GC is almost nil.

Like I said in another thread and was largely ignored (or called, how was it, "delusional"). The so called casuals don't buy Smash Bros, SMG, Metroid Prime 3, or even Monster Hunter 3.  Yet SSBB and SMG are still among the best-selling games, and selling better/faster than their GC iterations.  So are the casuals buying it, or are there more hardcore Wii owners than there were GC ones?  They buy, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, Wario Ware, Carnival Games, etc. Usually they might buy Wii Play, but many buy the system for Wii Sports and never buy a single game. Yet its attach rates are better than the PS3, and better than the 360 at this point in its life, so I guess most people aren't buying a single game for those systems either.  If you subtract the people buying Wiis for the non-games listed above from the people buying the "real" games (Smash Bros, SMG, etc) you are left with a number of consoles sold at or below that of the GameCube.  Who all apparently loved the Cube so much they upgraded instantly in the first year and bought two copies of each game so that they'd sell more than the GC versions did.  Wii passed the GC in less than a year and a half, while the GC sold for 5 years, so the fact that you subtract some mythical number and say it's less than GC is completely meaningless.   And guess what, blue oceans will dry out.  That's a stupid staetment with no meaning. The casual gamer is the quickest to get bored.  Ask the 10 million people who've been spending money every month to play WoW for years now how bored they are.

So in conclusion, the PS2 won on tried and true standards in gaming and broad library.  While it was a great system, it won more because the other systems had glaring flaws leaving the PS2 with no real competition.  The Wii, because of its novel controller, is currently feeding on a fickle "casual" crowd and a the remaining former GameCube owners.  Who are buying more systems and more games than any other one.  If this was not true we would be seeing "Petition to bring Capcom's Resident Evil 5 to the PS3", or "Why is third party support so bad for the Xbox 360?"  These games were never on the Wii and had their fates decided long before the Wii launched, but it's a straw-man argument anyway.  But in reality the third parties decide it all, and they have decided (in most instances, Monster Hunter 3 as an example exception) to pass on the Wii and are slowly leaking support back onto the PS3 from the 360.  Actually most decided to pass on the Wii before it launched, and nearly every one has put out an "Oh shit we screwed up" press release saying they missed the boat on the Wii and are going to start making more Wii games. Michael Pachter has said this and gets paid ALOT of money to make such claims. Do you get paid for saying "50 million Wii's by the end of 2009"? I think not. Its economics.  The analysts have been proven wrong over half the time.  Or has the Wii really sold less than 11 million units worldwide, as was predicted back in 2005?  The major consensus was that it would never pass the GameCube in its lifetime.

Well that was probably a waste of time because you're just a deluded fanboy, but since pretty much every single one of your statements is complete tripe I actually took the trouble to go in and respond point by point.

And people neglect a $99 Wii...

Around the Network

I was wondering who'd be the first person to actually take the time to disect that. Way to go DKII!

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

PooperScooper said:
superchunk said:
theshoe23 said:

Here comes the "Nuh-uhs". "They can never drop the price that much until the generation is almost over" Lets remember Sony dropped the price $200 in less than one year.

That's where I stopped.

Let's see, at launch PS3 had two sku's.

1. 20GB @ $500
2. 60gb @ $600

Now, PS3 has two sku's

1. 40GB @ $400
2. 80GB @ $500

hmmmmm.....I see a $100 effective price drop in a year.

Now, consider the PS2. Started @$300. In 8 years has only gone down to $130. That's approximately a 57% reduction in price after about 7 years.

You really think they are going to reduce the price of the PS3 by 60% om two years? hahahaha. The first drop was done out of neccesity to help the poor sales. It is selling pretty well now. In fact, it is now selling pretty close to PS2 levels. (Now, they can be compared since the PS2 at this point was in all regions).

I would say Sony may drop price again later in summer, but not by another $100. More like $50.

You won't be seeing a $200 PS3 until 2010.

You do understand you are comparing consoles percentage wise.... when one of those consoles was 200% more at their release.

Basically you cant say "its only 57% reduction." because it is way easier to get a higher percent with larger numbers

The original price differences between the two are irrelavent. They were dictated by the cost of manufacturing and I bet the that cost is going down in a similar fashion, which leads to the idea that the price will also drop in a similar fashion. i.e. the PS3 will not see a %60 price reduction in two years. That is just ill-logical.

The fact is the PS2 hasn't even had a %60 price reduction after 8 years on the market. The PS3 won't either. Sony is probably finally making a small amount of money on it at this point or pretty close to that. They are not selling tons of software as they originally hoped and thus, are not going to push the hardware back into the red when it is outselling the lower priced 360 by a decent margin.

Like I said, expect at most a $50 price drop in the sku's this year. 

Ok, I'm not being flippant, why is it that NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, on the massive wall of Wii games at my Hollywood Video even remotely interests ME or anyone I know (because they are either LITTLE kids games or they are mini-games). I had a GC for a short time last gen, but I was exclusively PS2 other wise. I had at least a few games to rent for my PS2.

Guys, guys, guys...

You've gotta remember, Sony isn't in this for the money. They're willing to sell the PS3 at a loss forever because they love gamers. They want to have hot, Cell-powered monkeysex with all gamers forever, something the competing console manufacturers don't understand.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

theshoe23 said:
Ok, I'm not being flippant, why is it that NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING, on the massive wall of Wii games at my Hollywood Video even remotely interests ME or anyone I know (because they are either LITTLE kids games or they are mini-games). I had a GC for a short time last gen, but I was exclusively PS2 other wise. I had at least a few games to rent for my PS2.

Well it is hard to argue with the "Well I don't like it" card. Which is probably why that's the card one always draws when their silly arguments are torn to shreds (thanks again DKII!)

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.