By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - New Star Wars Rogue One trailer!

Wasn't crazy about Awakens but this looks far more my style.

Around the Network

zoh my gawd look betta than Episode 7 which was nothing but a 21st century remake of A New Hope

Mr.GameCrazy said:
Lawlight said:

And guess who saved the day when those tentacle monsters got released...

I know Rey did, but that doesn't change the point I was trying to make, which was that she's not perfect. If anything, she's a bit too skilled, especially with the Jedi mind trick. Then again Ahsoka was able to use it as a Padawan (I'm not sure if it actually worked though).

It was a mistake (not from any flaw from the character) that she fixed brilliantly herself.

Lawlight said:
Mr.GameCrazy said:

She didn't seem flawless to me as she made the mistake of letting the Rathars out when she intended to close the doors on the two gangs to protect Han Solo from them. She also initially decided to run away after touching the lightsaber instead of listening to Maz. Still, I understand why she would be seen as a Mary Sue (even though I disagree with that).

She did.  But then, if I can go back to my Luke comparison, Luke - who was untrained in combat flight - was not only the best pilot we saw in the entire Death Star battle, outstripping grizzled veterans, he also succeeded in a very precise, dificult strike that two other teams of hardened Rebel veterans failed at.  And the excuse?  Same as Rey's:  the Force.  Not saying VII is perfect.  But a lot of complaints leveled at Rey COULD be leveled at Luke if you took IV out of the context of V and VI which both explained WHY Luke was the way he was and how he succeeded and allowed him to suffer a serious defeat (Episode V is a major part of what makes IV and VI good).  Also, Rey did get her but kicked and get captured.  Which is one more defeat than Luke suffered in IV.  My point: wait and see what happens before make such a sweeping declaration.  

Movie looks like crap and the only redeeming thing is the music and Vader.

Around the Network

Looks amazing. Can't wait to see.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nuvendil said:
Lawlight said:

She did.  But then, if I can go back to my Luke comparison, Luke - who was untrained in combat flight - was not only the best pilot we saw in the entire Death Star battle, outstripping grizzled veterans, he also succeeded in a very precise, dificult strike that two other teams of hardened Rebel veterans failed at.  And the excuse?  Same as Rey's:  the Force.  Not saying VII is perfect.  But a lot of complaints leveled at Rey COULD be leveled at Luke if you took IV out of the context of V and VI which both explained WHY Luke was the way he was and how he succeeded and allowed him to suffer a serious defeat (Episode V is a major part of what makes IV and VI good).  Also, Rey did get her but kicked and get captured.  Which is one more defeat than Luke suffered in IV.  My point: wait and see what happens before make such a sweeping declaration.  

Luke wasn't magically able to know as much as the Millenium Falcon as Han - remember that line from Han to Luke about dusting crop. Luke wasn't able to defeat Vader on their first encounter. Luke didn't train himself to use the force. Rey is basically Luke, Han Solo and Anakin all rolled up in one.

Just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvDso1B2_I8

Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:

Luke wasn't magically able to know as much as the Millenium Falcon as Han - remember that line from Han to Luke about dusting crop. Luke wasn't able to defeat Vader on their first encounter. Luke didn't train himself to use the force. Rey is basically Luke, Han Solo and Anakin all rolled up in one.

Just watch this:

No, it's even worse with Luke.  He went from "dusting crops" to destroying the Death Star in no time.  And he was blocking blaster bolts blindfolded in under an hour, which stretches credibility even with a teacher (who we don't see teach a thing).  And that's the only training we really ever see him get and with that brief time he manages to destroy the Death Star and use the force to grab objects.  

And Luke's FIRST ENCOUNTER happened in the SECOND FILM.  VII s the first film of the new trilogy.  Which was my whole point: Luke suffered no real defeats in his first film either, no matter how likely it would be.  And Rey was utterly helpless in her first encounter with Kylo Ren.  

Also, Rey was a scavanger living next to a massive ship graveyard.  She's probably seen those old style controls countless times in ships she had scrounged through for parts.  Which also explains how she understands systems in these ships so well: she would have to in order to properly collect the best parts.  Ad the Falcon isn't a custom super-bleedin edge ship, as was pointed out in every movie it has been in.  So her knowledge of ship systems would largely transfer over.  Which is better justification than we have for Luke being "the best pilot in the outer rim."  I mean, we never even SEE Luke work with or touch a starship before he sets foot on the Falcon.  

Nuvendil said:
Lawlight said:

Just watch this:

No, it's even worse with Luke.  He went from "dusting crops" to destroying the Death Star in no time.  And he was blocking blaster bolts blindfolded in under an hour, which stretches credibility even with a teacher (who we don't see teach a thing).  And that's the only training we really ever see him get and with that brief time he manages to destroy the Death Star and use the force to grab objects.  

And Luke's FIRST ENCOUNTER happened in the SECOND FILM.  VII s the first film of the new trilogy.  Which was my whole point: Luke suffered no real defeats in his first film either, no matter how likely it would be.  And Rey was utterly helpless in her first encounter with Kylo Ren.  

Also, Rey was a scavanger living next to a massive ship graveyard.  She's probably seen those old style controls countless times in ships she had scrounged through for parts.  Which also explains how she understands systems in these ships so well: she would have to in order to properly collect the best parts.  Ad the Falcon isn't a custom super-bleedin edge ship, as was pointed out in every movie it has been in.  So her knowledge of ship systems would largely transfer over.  Which is better justification than we have for Luke being "the best pilot in the outer rim."  I mean, we never even SEE Luke work with or touch a starship before he sets foot on the Falcon.  

He didn't destroy the Deathh Star alone. The Death Star weakness was just a plot hole. And we still see Luke getting force training, unlike Rey. While he didn't suffer any real defeat, he also didn't do amazing feats, unlike Rey.

And even in the 2nd film, he couldn't defeat Vader. And it's only in the 2nd movie that we see luke do a force grab - with great difficulty.

Even if we assume you're right, does that excuse the poor writing? We're in the 2010s - Star Wars, the first one, was written in the 1970s.

Lawlight said:
Nuvendil said:

He didn't destroy the Deathh Star alone. The Death Star weakness was just a plot hole. And we still see Luke getting force training, unlike Rey. While he didn't suffer any real defeat, he also didn't do amazing feats, unlike Rey.

And even in the 2nd film, he couldn't defeat Vader. And it's only in the 2nd movie that we see luke do a force grab - with great difficulty.

Even if we assume you're right, does that excuse the poor writing? We're in the 2010s - Star Wars, the first one, was written in the 1970s.

Taking down the Death Star after multiple veterans did is pretty impressive for a "crop duster", no matter how you try to spin it.  That medal he got wasn't a participation award :P

Didn't say Rey was perfectly written, just that you are being too extreme in your stance.  I am personally waiting to see what happens in VIII with regards to most of what you are saying.  

And on that last point...what does that have to do with anything?  Yeah, Star Wars was written in the 70s.  And Citizen Kane was written in the 30s and 40s.  And Hamlet was written centuries ago.  Time of writing is not an excuse for the flaws of any of the Star Wars films :P