By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2016 NPD Thread! Hardware and software up!

Jranation said:
Kerotan said:

Breaking news: Jranation calls the Playstation 4 the king.  Welcome to the kingdom :)

I cant remember that time I didn't say it was a king though :) 

I like you even more now :)

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Aquamarine said:

3DS sstill sells somewhat well hardware-wise, but it tends to be very weak software-wise. Third-party sales are low to non-existent....it's basically The Nintendo Machine. It's the only somewhat-viable platform in a quickly-dying market...and it's about to get supplanted by its successor in 7 months.

I get where youre coming from, im just saying i wouldnt put it in the same boat as the other platforms listed since it currently sells as much as all them combined.

By the way, if NX is primarily a handheld will you give numbers for it?

Hardware sales in isolation are meaningless. What matters is the macro----how healthy is the ecosystem, and how do the overall markets sell.

At the moment, Home Consoles are the future of USA retail, and Handhelds are almost dead.

3DS is unwell. It's technically alive hardware-wise thanks to fads and a few Nintendo IP, but as an ecosystem it's not healthy.

That's why historically I haven't been focusing on it.

Maybe this month will be different. We'll see.

Shadow1980 said:
I care about PS3 & 360 sales, because I need to complete my charts for 2015 & 2016.

Which ones?

Yaaaaay!!!! XB1 wins!!!!

Finally. I can start looking forward to NPDs again. it was becoming too boring.

Aquamarine said:
zorg1000 said:

I get where youre coming from, im just saying i wouldnt put it in the same boat as the other platforms listed since it currently sells as much as all them combined.

Hardware sales in isolation are meaningless. What matters is the macro----how healthy is the ecosystem, and how do the overall markets sell.

At the moment, Home Consoles are the future of USA retail, and Handhelds are almost dead.

3DS is unwell. It's technically alive hardware-wise thanks to fads and a few Nintendo IP, but as an ecosystem it's not healthy.

Like I said, i get where you're coming from.

Not sure if i missed it, have you or anyone else released any numbers yet?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Aquamarine said:

No.

CosmicQueso implied that 3DS had its best month out of any month in 2016, so you have a minimum for 3DS, but no benchmarks outside of that.

Aquamarine said:
zorg1000 said:

No.

CosmicQueso implied that 3DS had its best month out of any month in 2016, so you have a minimum for 3DS, but no benchmarks outside of that.

Doesnt NPD usually release a list of the top 10 games? Why havent they this month?

edit: nevermind, just saw in the OP that its next week.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Aqua when you usually post numbers?

Cause here in Italy are 3:30 am, if you think you can post numbers soon i can wait, but i you need some hours i think i'll go to bed.

zorg1000 said:
Aquamarine said:

No.

Doesnt NPD usually release a list of the top 10 games? Why havent they this month?

NPD changed their PR strategy.

Before, on the 2nd Thursday of every month (aka. July 11th), they would release a combined Top 10 Retail game unit sales without bundles list.

Now, on the 3rd Thursday of every month (aka. July 18th), they release a combined Top 10 Retail + Digital game REVENUES without bundles list.

Public NPD PR is now completely useless because only Activision Blizzard, Capcom, Deep Silver, Electronic Arts, Square Enix, Take-Two Interactive, Ubisoft, and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment give their digital data to NPD.

So, Bethesda, Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and every other publisher are not properly represented in the Top 10, so the combined NPD PR they do release dramatically favors the publishers who give data (therefore titles like Uncharted 4 and Kirby are now grossly misrepresented).

In addition, the Top 10 ranking is now sorted by Revenue instead of Units, so new titles are skewed higher in the Top 10 then they would be if you look at Unit Sales.

Nothing about NPD has changed. Old clients get the exact same data. But now, NPD only comments on their bizarre physical + digital charts which nobody has access to outside of the eight participating publishers. So I don't get any physical + digital data because I'm high-level at JPMorgan Chase.

Aquamarine said:
zorg1000 said:

hey aqua, could you maybe talk about the Halo 5 LimitedEdition, Fallout 4 and Rainbow Six Siege Xbox MoM % increase and unit numbers?
in that case we could gauge how big the prime day sales for xbox one were. That's the 3 retail games they included.

Or would that be to specific and nothing your are willing and allowed to share?
well NPD does also break down the sales weekly afaik, so you could give week 2 xbox numbers in comparison to the other normal weeks.
I would find it interesting to know, how big this "little black friday" sales in a slow summer month are.
But i assume that's the kind of information NPD wants to get theire money for ;)