By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Suicide Squad comics are not about Anti-heroes!

Suicide Squad are not about Anti-heroes or people that are misunderstood by society. It's about a bunch of dangerous and crazy sociopaths VILLAINS doing a job for the government in exchange of something they need, like freedom or at least not be executed. What I see from all the critics the main problem about the movie is that they tried to make the Squad more likable and have a good interaction. I mean, what I expected to see is a group of dangerous people and a constant tension that they could turn on each other... I haven't watched the movie yet, I'll wait for a director's cut. 

Around the Network

That's what happens when you cast Will Smith - he always needs to be a good guy.

invetedlotus123 said:

Suicide Squad are not about Anti-heroes or people that are misunderstood by society. It's about a bunch of dangerous and crazy sociopaths VILLAINS doing a job for the government in exchange of something they need, like freedom or at least not be executed.

People who do "good" things for their own self-interest *are* anti-heroes, though.

The heroes we deserve.

This is kind of the least of the movie's problems. It has about 1000 other problems.

Still has some entertaining parts, but still has some boring parts too. Mediocre movie.

Hate to compare it Marvel, but basically Deadpool is everything this movie tries so hard to be but far, far, far, far, far better and more coherent.

Around the Network

Critics seem to hate it but most of the people who've seen it, at least on Facebook comment sections, seem to love it.

I hope like it and I hope it makes its money. I'm a huge comics and DC fan but my experience with Suicide Squad is limited to one New 52 comic, Batman Assault on Arkham, and the "Task Force X" episode of Justice League.

It's hard to market the true terrible villains. They had to make the characters somewhat intriguing and likeable. Sure enough had they kept them true to their form, critics still would have argued and said the characters are garbage and make you want to see them fail, etc.

Aielyn said:
invetedlotus123 said:

Suicide Squad are not about Anti-heroes or people that are misunderstood by society. It's about a bunch of dangerous and crazy sociopaths VILLAINS doing a job for the government in exchange of something they need, like freedom or at least not be executed.

People who do "good" things for their own self-interest *are* anti-heroes, though.

They aren't doing "good" things, though. They're doing things the government wouldn't dare do (why wouldn't the government do "good" things themselves?) in order to reach an end that is "good". 

Like, it'd be the equivalent of sending a squad to kill everyone in the village in order to get an ISIS leader. The government doesn't want to kill innocent civilians. So, if anything goes wrong, they can just blame "villains being villains" and be absolved of any responsibility. But if things go right, "the leaders of ISIS were killed", which is the "good".

Suicide Squad isn't about "villains" or "anti-heroes". It's about the moral ambiguity of a government agency.