By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - No Man's Sky Launches 12th On PC (Official)

vivster said:
Chazore said:

Isn't the refund system on Steam only 2 hours in length to play and then get a refund?. How would that even work for a game like NMS?.

Start the game -> see pop ins and shitty LoD -> refund the game

Easy, really^^

I've never used the system so I don't even know how easy it would be to claim it lol.

That said the pop ins will drive me just that bit nutty. It drives me nuts for Fallout 4 to a point where I've had to mod it to get the least amount of pop in possible, but that's me having to mod that game, I don't see that happening with NMS since the devs haven't said anything in terms of mod support. Makes me wonder if we'll even get an ini file to edit, at least that would do for me. Recently used Starbound's ini file to increase the number of players who can join my game since the default number is fine but I wanted more players. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

*Hovers over the refund button on steam*

There better not be any nonsense issues dudes... We have weapons of mass refunds! If you are gonna delay it, better make it worth it!

Isn't the refund system on Steam only 2 hours in length to play and then get a refund?. How would that even work for a game like NMS?.

Well... Considering the game isn't out yet and we havn't played it, the refund still works loll. Its also either 2 hours of gameplay or 2 weeks of purchase so one could buy it, play it for an hour, wait a week to see if the issues get fixed and if it doesn't, refund! It shouldn't take more than 1 hour to notice performance issues really. You start the game, it derps, refund, they fix performance problems, get it on sale, profit.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

Well... Considering the game isn't out yet and we havn't played it, the refund still works loll. It shouldn't take more than 1 hour to notice performance issues really. You start the game, it derps, refund, they fix performance problems, get it on sale, profit.

Well instant perf issues I can totally get behind and understand. I was going more with those bugs that can occur later on. Kinda like with Fallout 4, some people had no bugs until 20 hours into their game, some had bugs straight from the start, those at the start of course would be valid for that refund, those past 20 hrs not so much =P.

I guess if you don't get issues within the first few hrs then you could be fine for 100, anything past 5 would mean you're stuck with it until they sort out said bugs (which I imagine will be their go to thing upon release).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well... Considering the game isn't out yet and we havn't played it, the refund still works loll. It shouldn't take more than 1 hour to notice performance issues really. You start the game, it derps, refund, they fix performance problems, get it on sale, profit.

Well instant perf issues I can totally get behind and understand. I was going more with those bugs that can occur later on. Kinda like with Fallout 4, some people had no bugs until 20 hours into their game, some had bugs straight from the start, those at the start of course would be valid for that refund, those past 20 hrs not so much =P.

I guess if you don't get issues within the first few hrs then you could be fine for 100, anything past 5 would mean you're stuck with it until they sort out said bugs (which I imagine will be their go to thing upon release).

Thats true but 20 hours of playing is quite a lot of playtime to issue a refund really. If steam made it so users can refund games after playing that long, most people would just abuse the system since most games out there are bearly 10 hours. Heck, considering the amount of indie games on steam that barely make it 3 hours, I think it would be a giant issue. So to me it makes sense why they did it for two hours but extreme cases should be the exception of course like Batman was.

Bugs here and there are to be expected of every game, specially open world games. Just as long as it doesn't format ur pc or rape the save file, I think it should be fine.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I don't think the game will be very bug heavy. The mechanics don't really seem deep enough and I assume they had to keep it as simple as possible as to not encounter weird issues with these numerous amounts of different planet combinations.

If you don't encounter any problems on the first 3 planets you visit I doubt there will be many in the later game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:

Thats true but 20 hours of playing is quite a lot of playtime to issue a refund really. If steam made it so users can refund games after playing that long, most people would just abuse the system since most games out there are bearly 10 hours. Heck, considering the amount of indie games on steam that barely make it 3 hours, I think it would be a giant issue. So to me it makes sense why they did it for two hours but extreme cases should be the exception of course like Batman was.

Bugs here and there are to be expected of every game, specially open world games. Just as long as it doesn't format ur pc or rape the save file, I think it should be fine.

Also if I remember correctly, they limited the time because during Steam sales, it would have allowed for users to buy the game cheap, play it for a bit and get a refund without question. That I could see being a main reason as to why it's limited the way it is and I can agree why.

vivster said:

I don't think the game will be very bug heavy. The mechanics don't really seem deep enough and I assume they had to keep it as simple as possible as to not encounter weird issues with these numerous amounts of different planet combinations.

If you don't encounter any problems on the first 3 planets you visit I doubt there will be many in the later game.

I'm not expecting it to be like Fallout 4 in terms of bugs galore, but I am expecting perf issues and a lack of options that have been a staple with PC gaming (Totalbiscuit will make sure we don't hear the end of the options menu review lol).

That said I've got the 8gigs ram required, a 980, i5-4670k and a decent WD Black HDD and Samsung SSD, I should be able to handle the game like a breeze.

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Also if I remember correctly, they limited the time because during Steam sales, it would have allowed for users to buy the game cheap, play it for a bit and get a refund without question. That I could see being a main reason as to why it's limited the way it is and I can agree why.

vivster said:

I'm not expecting it to be like Fallout 4 in terms of bugs galore, but I am expecting perf issues and a lack of options that have been a staple with PC gaming (Totalbiscuit will make sure we don't hear the end of the options menu review lol).

That said I've got the 8gigs ram required, a 980, i5-4670k and a decent WD Black HDD and Samsung SSD, I should be able to handle the game like a breeze.

It's not like lack of options or performance issues are anything new for PC ports. Hope they don't dare to leave out FOV sliders.

But honestly unless they really give zero shits about the PC port I expect it to run pretty well, especially since it's optimized on low performance hardware. It's not a complicated game and all of the universe is basically cookie cutter with slightly different variables along the way. Hard to imagine that something so simple could be fucked up.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

It's not like lack of options or performance issues are anything new for PC ports. Hope they don't dare to leave out FOV sliders.

But honestly unless they really give zero shits about the PC port I expect it to run pretty well, especially since it's optimized on low performance hardware. It's not a complicated game and all of the universe is basically cookie cutter with slightly different variables along the way. Hard to imagine that something so simple could be fucked up.

I can already imagine TB's reaction if he found there was no FOV slider lol:

That's why I'm hoping they at least allow us to edit the ini file, if they even give us one. If they do then I can modify the FOV that way as well as LOD (hopefully).

You'd be surprised in this world with how some people can screw up even the simplest of things. I do hope they do a good job on the port though.

The pop-in seems to be really a big issue with the launch of No Man Sky, doesn't it?

The lazy OP didn't give any context for the PC date of 12th August. When was it supposed to be released? Was there some delays talked about recently? When is the console release?

Slimebeast said:

The pop-in seems to be really a big issue with the launch of No Man Sky, doesn't it?

The lazy OP didn't give any context for the PC date of 12th August. When was it supposed to be released? Was there some delays talked about recently? When is the console release?

Console release was the 9th, PC was going to be the same in the US and the UK was the 12th but now all PC regions are now the 12th which means the PC version in total has now been held back 3 days.