By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - The NFL Thread 2016: New England Patriots Win Super Bowl LI

Who will win Super Bowl LI?

New England Patriots 51 47.66%

Kansas City Chiefs 3 2.80%

Pittsburgh Steelers 6 5.61%

Other (AFC) 3 2.80%

Dallas Cowboys 10 9.35%

Atlanta Falcons 15 14.02%

Seattle Seahawks 5 4.67%

Green Bay Packers 5 4.67%

Other (NFC) 4 3.74%

Scoreboard 5 4.67%

Total:107
JWeinCom said:
noname2200 said:

Do you want to be the John Lucas of the NFL thread? Because that's how you become the John Lucas of the NFL thread.

I don't know who that is... so... maybe.

The only correct answer is "no," unless you want to be lumped in with a guy who predicted the Wii U would sell a hundred bajillion units or something.

RolStoppable said:
noname2200 said:

(...)

Do you intend to predict a Super Bowl winner for your bracket or are you fine leaving it blank? Because "ugh" is too vague to count for anything.

Leave it blank. If that matchup happens, there can be no winners, and we'll have entered the darkest timeline.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

I have to assume that KAN stands for Kansas City, but you can't have both the third and the sixth seed (KC and NYJ) in the divisional playoffs. Furthermore, you can't have both the first and sixth seed (NE and NYJ) in the championship game because they will already meet each other in the divisional playoffs.

noname2200 said:

(...)

Do you intend to predict a Super Bowl winner for your bracket or are you fine leaving it blank? Because "ugh" is too vague to count for anything.

Right you are.  I originally went with a serious bracket, then decided to make the Jets win, so I screwed up a few things with that.  

Bracket Prediction #1 #2 #3 #4
AFC East NE NYJ  BUF  MIA
AFC North CIN PIT BAL  CLE
AFC South HOU IND JAX TEN
AFC West KC DEN  OAK  SD
NFC East NYG WAS  DAL PHI
NFC North GB MIN  DET CHI
NFC South CAR NO  TB  ATL
NFC West ARI SEA LA  SF
#1 Draft Pick CLE - - -
AFC Playoff Teams 1-4 NE CIN KC HOU
AFC Playoff Teams 5-6 NYJ PIT - -
NFC Playoff Teams 1-4 GB ARI CAR NYG
NFC Playoff Teams 5-6 SEA NO - -
AFC Divisional Playoffs NE PIT CIN NYJ
NFC Divisional Playoffs GB SEA  CAR  ARI
AFC Championship Game NE NYJ - -
NFC Championship Game ARI CAR  - -
Super Bowl LI ARI NYJ  - -
Super Bowl Winner NYJ - - -

I think that should be ok.

noname2200 said:
JWeinCom said:

I don't know who that is... so... maybe.

The only correct answer is "no," unless you want to be lumped in with a guy who predicted the Wii U would sell a hundred bajillion units or something.

O_o... Dunno why I was supposed to know that off the top of my head.  

RolStoppable said:
sethnintendo said:

Damn what happened?  Weren't they pretty decent like a year or two ago?

Two years ago the team had a meltdown and managed to lose to the back then craptastic Raiders among others. I think they finished 8-8 and Jim Harbaugh quit because he lost control over the locker room. Afterwards a good amount of talent left and the 49ers were expected to finish last in the NFC West in 2015 (which they did). Now they have yet again a new head coach: Chip Kelly who wrecked the roster of the Eagles. The 49ers in their current state do not instill confidence in anyone.

Harbaugh got in a fight with the front office, but yeah, pretty much spot on.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

burninmylight said:
I'm thinking about punting this entire season. Who the hell trades a first rounder for Sam Fucking Bradford? You can't help that your franchise QB shreds up his knee, but to mortgage the future for a guy who wasn't around for any of camp, OTAs or the preseason, can't stay healthy, and would only start one year anyway is just asinine. I hate football right now.

It is a terrible trade.  They gave up way too much for a QB who has never won more than 7 games in a season.  Could have done that this season with Hill.  Or any available or soon to be available QB.  However, to defend them a little bit, what they did was get a short term solution and a long term insurance policy in one guy.  Bridgewater is unlikely to be 100% by the beginning of next year.  I think we are still too early to even say his career is safe.  His surgery doesn't even happen until Thursday.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing

Around the Network
theRepublic said:
burninmylight said:
I'm thinking about punting this entire season. Who the hell trades a first rounder for Sam Fucking Bradford? You can't help that your franchise QB shreds up his knee, but to mortgage the future for a guy who wasn't around for any of camp, OTAs or the preseason, can't stay healthy, and would only start one year anyway is just asinine. I hate football right now.

It is a terrible trade.  They gave up way too much for a QB who has never won more than 7 games in a season.  Could have done that this season with Hill.  Or any available or soon to be available QB.  However, to defend them a little bit, what they did was get a short term solution and a long term insurance policy in one guy.  Bridgewater is unlikely to be 100% by the beginning of next year.  I think we are still too early to even say his career is safe.  His surgery doesn't even happen until Thursday.

What available or soon to be available QBs were on the table?  Mark Sanchez is probably the best off the available players and... he's Mark Sanchez.

Vikings had absolutely no leverage in the situation.  The Eagles probably actually would have asked for more for Bradford if he wasn't already unhappy with them.  Bradford actually may be a slight upgrade over Bridgewater in the short term.  Plus, I think the Vikings only had Shaun Hill on the roster, so they were going to have to sign a backup anyway.  That could have been from the free agent market, but that'd be kind of a waste of money.  

Vikings felt like they had the talent to win now, and Shaun Hill wasn't going to do it for them, and nothing good was on the horizon.  It was a steep price to pay, but when you're stranded in the desert and water is 20 bucks a bottle, you gotta consider it.

Bracket Predictions

AFC East NE NYJ BUF MIA
AFC North PIT CIN BAL CLE
AFC South JAX IND HOU TEN
AFC West KC OAK DEN SD
NFC East NYG WSH DAL PHI
NFC North GB MIN DET CHI
NFC South CAR TB NO ATL
NFC West ARI SEA RAMS SF
#1 Draft Pick CLE - - -
AFC Playoff Teams 1-4 PIT NE KC JAX
AFC Playoff Teams 5-6 CIN OAK - -
NFC Playoff Teams 1-4 CAR GB ARI NYG
NFC Playoff Teams 5-6 SEA MIN - -
AFC Divisional Playoffs PIT NE KC CIN
NFC Divisional Playoffs CAR GB ARI SEA
AFC Championship Game PIT NE - -
NFC Championship Game CAR GB - -
Super Bowl LI GB PIT - -
Super Bowl Winner GB - - -

My picks.

Now Playing

CAR-DEN 1 TB-ATL 2 MIN-TEN 1 CLE-PHI 2
CIN-NYJ 1 OAK-NO 1 SD-KC 2 BUF-BAL 2
CHI-HOU 2 GB-JAX 1 MIA-SEA 2 NYG-DAL 1
DET-IND 1 NE-ARI 2 PIT-WAS 1 LA-SF RAMS by 3

Weekly picks

Now Playing

JWeinCom said:
RolStoppable said:

I have to assume that KAN stands for Kansas City, but you can't have both the third and the sixth seed (KC and NYJ) in the divisional playoffs. Furthermore, you can't have both the first and sixth seed (NE and NYJ) in the championship game because they will already meet each other in the divisional playoffs.

Right you are.  I originally went with a serious bracket, then decided to make the Jets win, so I screwed up a few things with that.  

AFC East NE NYJ  BUF  MIA
AFC North CIN PIT BAL  CLE
AFC South HOU IND JAX TEN
AFC West KC DEN  OAK  SD
NFC East NYG WAS  DAL PHI
NFC North GB MIN  DET CHI
NFC South CAR NO  TB  ATL
NFC West ARI SEA LA  SF
#1 Draft Pick CLE - - -
AFC Playoff Teams 1-4 NE CIN KC HOU
AFC Playoff Teams 5-6 NYJ PIT - -
NFC Playoff Teams 1-4 GB ARI CAR NYG
NFC Playoff Teams 5-6 SEA NO - -
AFC Divisional Playoffs NE PIT CIN NYJ
NFC Divisional Playoffs GB SEA  CAR  ARI
AFC Championship Game NE NYJ - -
NFC Championship Game ARI CAR  - -
Super Bowl LI ARI NYJ  - -
Super Bowl Winner NYJ - - -

I think that should be ok.

I figured Rol would have checked by now but since it is so close until brackets are locked, I just wanted to let you know the NFC needs adjustments.

If NO is 6th then they face 3rd CAR, leaving CAR (3rd).

If Sea is 5th then they face 4th NYG, leaving SEA (5th).

So its GB (1st), ARI (2nd), CAR (3rd), SEA (5th).

So GB faces SEA, leaving one of them the victor.

And ARI faces CAR, leaving only one of them as the victor.

Your AFC makes sense, but it is a little confusing.

JWeinCom said:
theRepublic said:

What available or soon to be available QBs were on the table?  Mark Sanchez is probably the best off the available players and... he's Mark Sanchez.

Vikings had absolutely no leverage in the situation.  The Eagles probably actually would have asked for more for Bradford if he wasn't already unhappy with them.  Bradford actually may be a slight upgrade over Bridgewater in the short term.  Plus, I think the Vikings only had Shaun Hill on the roster, so they were going to have to sign a backup anyway.  That could have been from the free agent market, but that'd be kind of a waste of money.  

Vikings felt like they had the talent to win now, and Shaun Hill wasn't going to do it for them, and nothing good was on the horizon.  It was a steep price to pay, but when you're stranded in the desert and water is 20 bucks a bottle, you gotta consider it.

It is the end of the preseason.  Lots of cuts happen then, and sometimes unexpected ones.  Sanchez was a good example, but looks like Dallas grabbed him.

Of course the Vikings had no leverage.  That is a reason to stand pat, not to make a move.  How is signing a free agent a waste of money?  They still have to pay Bradford, and gave up picks to get him on top of that.

Listen, I am a former Rams fan.  Bradford is a below average QB in this league.  And the Vikings gave up two(!) picks to get him.  One was a first rounder!  That is nuts.  I am not even sure Bradford is a big upgrade over Hill.  Especially not Week 1.  It will be interesting to see how long it takes Bradford to get comfortable in this offense.

The way the Vikings are currently built, they only need a game manager anyway.  Why spend so much capital for a game manager?

By the way, here is the number of games Bradford has played in his career (starting with rookie year): 16, 10, 16, 7, 0, 14.  All those picks for about a 50% chance he plays the whole season.

Now Playing