By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie explains why the WiiU underperformed.

pokoko said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Maybe if you read the part when he ask me how much devices they sold on prior generations you would understand why I posted that.

"Yeah its kind of hilarious how in order to support that pov you need to completely ignore the most succesful generation that a company has ever had in the industry with 250m of dedicated devices sold. Is also ironic the way they are supossed to be losing branch power since the beggining when all their handhelds have been very succesfull thanks to their own games, even 3DS despite having everything against it."

Your very first post in this thread and you were alreadly trying to deflect and muddy the subject despite the OP clearly talking about home consoles only.

Now you are blind, that's not my first post in the thread look the very first page. And I don't see how I'm deflecting anyhing, I'm giving my opinion about that theory of Nintendo losing branch power since the beggining that BMaker11 exposed, because it completely ignores the wii era and the handheld department, no need to make those acusations.

Around the Network

I like the way he rounds up WiiU and X1 but severely cut out on PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I'm getting kind of sick of all these responses from Nintendo regarding the lack of successful sales of the Wii U on "miscommunication". They're implicitly saying "We made all the right decisions regarding hardware and software; if we explained things just a little differently, sales would have been twice what they were." Now I don't want or expect them to bash themselves too much, but if they never acknowledge some issues other than miscommunication, they'll have a hard time improving.

At least Reggie admitted there were few games at first, but they still have a problem with new games coming out (anything besides Paper Mario coming out before March 2017?!?!?).

Poor Reggie. He forgot that games sells hardware, and the dull Wii U library was the only thing to blame.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

All I read in that statement were empty words and lies. The Wii U actually had a decent launch with a decent library and it was selling much better in the first few months when compared to the X360/PS3 and their respective launches.

Reggie is still in denial unfortunately :(.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network
maxleresistant said:
"we weren't clear on the concept"

Hope you learned your lesson, seriously, EVERYBODY told you saw at E3 2011. Did you listen? Nope...

Nintendo can be the king of dummies some times

then after all that they ran those Wii u adds calling it an "upgrade"-  it s like they refuse to call any replacement console or " new" console what it is -  I wonder how many people will think the NX is an add on to the Wii u when they release it 

Mbolibombo said:
bonzobanana said:

I don't have kids myself but noticed a 7 year old approx soon after launch struggling with the gamepad in a video game shop and find it unwieldy myself.  3-4 year old handing it is impressive but maybe that depends on the game. If you have a game where you need to react instantly move fast and hit multiple buttons quickly I think most find the gamepad awkward compared to sony and microsoft controllers but as ever individual experience may vary.  Some of the games you mentioned where not successful and personally I think Bayonetta is awful.  I enjoy Mario kart myself on wii u but its got horrible aliasing and although the graphics are bright and colourful and imaginitive technically they are poor and unimpressive. Remember my comment was about the wii u missing out on important genres fo games. Clearly platform games is a strength of Nintendo but the wii u doesn't have a well rounded collection of games it has a limited library that simply doesn't have the type of games many people want.

Again with the NX we have hardware simply not capable of competing and therefore not required by most gamers who may want fps, racing and good versons of the latest multi-format games. Already before even launch we know the NX will be a terrible home console. I personally don't need a tablet size portable console so can't really comment on that but do occasionally need a portable handheld console but that needs to be small almost pocket size. The NX simply isn't a product for me and I suspect for a mass audience either. 

Again going back the wii u library is awful not only are the games technically very weak overall but the library is very limited and the games you mentioned have limited appeal. Many of Nintendo's games are nice but even if they were multi-format they wouldn't sell that well on other formats. Would Pikmin or Splatoon sell well on ps4 or xbone I don't know. Did rare games sell as well on xbox as they did on Nintendo hardware no. Would a ps4 gamer rather play the latest fps game or smash brothers? Comparing the wii u library to ps4 is like comparing the android library to Xbox 360. Yes there are some nice playable games on android but the Xbox 360 game library is on a higher level with far more ambitious games.

1. No, we dont know that. In fact, we know nothing about the hardware.  A rumor by Eurogamer is hardly confirmation. Could be true, but let's not act like it's some sort of confirmation what really is going to be the final product.

2. Just like FPS games dont really sell well on Nintendo hardware you mean? There are a niche on every console.

3. I think you are giving the PS4 library too much credit, this entire generation has been rather lackluster compared to previous generations when it comes to software. 5 of the top 10 games on PS4 are from last gen remastered. There are some gems for sure, but overall it's definately lackluster compared to how the PS3 library looked after 3 years on the market, same for Xbox.

It's more than a rumour sadly and other sites have confirmed the information from their sources. I'm hoping its wrong but have little confidence it is. 

With regard fps games they need respectable hardware and a decent controller and that isn't something the wii u has. What fps games are on the wii u struggle to match the 360 and ps3 let alone ps4 and xbone so its no wonder its an unacceptable format for fps games just like android devices are with hardcore fps gamers.

I don't agree with you about the ps4 library I think its scope is excellent with fantastic games in every genre. Yes there is padding in there but I guess if you are coming from xbox 360 then visually improved versions of classic ps3 games is no bad thing.

Well, at least Reggie gets some of the problems with the Wii U, and despite that, yeah, it did have some pretty awesome games in the lil system Hopefully Ninten learned their lesson with the NX.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

i think people are giving Reggie too much credit. He is probably saying what his Japanese masters told him to say. He is a puppet

The concept simply wasn't very good, no amount of explaining it or marketing it would've changed that.

It was a controller with streaming capabilities that only went about 20-30 feet away from the console which was connected a much better quality home HDTV, why would you want to use a shitty 6 inch sub HD display to play games on when it basically had to be in the same room as your HDTV?

Also the whole asymmetric gameplay thing didn't work well for games, people can only focus on one screen at a time, asking them to look up/down and keep track of two screens added nothing to 99% of games and made some of them (Star Fox 0) harder to play for no reason.