By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do Pokémon GO download numbers count in the biggest selling franchises in gaming ?

Should Pokémon GO downloads count ?

Yes. 21 11.86%

Yes, but only for people who purchased items. 12 6.78%

No. 128 72.32%

See Results 16 9.04%

Total:177
ktay95 said:
JWeinCom said:
Uhhhh, sure, if you want to.

It's not like there's any official standard, so people can count however they want. It's not that important.

Which is why Tetris will forever reign as king

But Angry Birds has 3 billion total downloads. I don't even want to talk about the "Crush" IP (primarily because I can't find recent numbers for it, but it was 500 million in november 2013.... god knows where it's at now. Probably like 5 billion.)

This also goes to the OP, if you include free downloads then Pokemon isn't even close to being the highest selling gaming IP.

Around the Network

That would be silly

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Nautilus said:
No.Sales and downloads are two very different things, and to be quite honest, its next to impossible to compare them in that regard(adoptance level).A fairer metric would be how much the game earned compared to another.

Is true! Vat you saying is true!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

JWeinCom said:

It's not like there's any official standard, so people can count however they want. It's not that important.

No it doesn't if you are asking a question does Pokemon Go download number count as sales.  That is what the OP is asking.  We can't redfine the world download to mean a sales.  The aren't the same thing.  (I'm a programmer by nature and trade and I have a real problem with blatent logical falsehoods)

CosmicSex said:
JWeinCom said:

No it doesn't if you are asking a question does Pokemon Go download number count as sales.  That is what the OP is asking.  We can't redfine the world download to mean a sales.  The aren't the same thing.  (I'm a programmer by nature and trade and I have a real problem with blatent logical falsehoods)

Of course we can.  We can consider whatever we want as sales.  With something so trivial and vague, we can define it however we like.  I'd like to see you stop us.

Around the Network

It shouldn´t, cause it is free. Any person can download it and them delete it, then download it again, like dozens of times, and never give the Pokemon co. a dime.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

No.

Nope. Because that would mean Angry Birds is the most popular franchise in gaming history. Makes me feel nauseous just to think about it.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Nope. Because that would mean Angry Birds is the most popular franchise in gaming history. Makes me feel nauseous just to think about it.

Even if you deny the fact by saying that downloads=/=sales it doesn't change the fact that Angry Birds is the most popular gaming franchise in hystory, instead you should embrace the Pokémon Franchise beeing currently the 2nd most popular frachise in gaming history on consoles  and adding to that the downloads it gets thank to Pokémon GO so that we can have a somewhat worthy #1 franchise !

You can use download count to argue [x] or [y] is the most popular game ever, but a sale is literally "the exchange of a commodity for money". You can buy stuff within Pokemon GO, but the game itself is not being sold, it's being given. That's not really a sale.