By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why you should get a Nintendo NX Day One!

Are you buying day one?

Yes 111 29.84%

No 141 37.90%

Maybe - Need to see full details. 99 26.61%

See Results 21 5.65%

Total:372
superchunk said:

False. NX needs to appeal to people who enjoy playing video games. The variations of playing at home or on the go is value-added benefit. 

Software sells consoles, not the hardware.

You can't simplify it like that, there are many different types of gamers who enjoy different types of gaming. You can't just say "oh anyone who likes gaming will totally pick up a $300 Nintendo system just cause it has Nintendo games," especially when that already isn't happening. $300 is too expensive for Nintendo's main and biggest market, definitely too costly for the mobile crowd, too much for console crowd without uber hardware and full third party support, and too expensive even as a secondary system to the third party machines most everyone already has.

If you believe that then why are you wanting powerful expensive hardware that'll make it more difficult to get to the software? And anyway, I never said hardware (atleast not alone) sells consoles, however the hardware can negatively affect sales when it gets in the way, such as gimmicks that jacked up the price of the Wii U and 3DS.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:

You can't simplify it like that, there are many different types of gamers who enjoy different types of gaming. You can't just say "oh anyone who likes gaming will totally pick up a $300 Nintendo system just cause it has Nintendo games," especially when that already isn't happening. $300 is too expensive for Nintendo's main and biggest market, definitely too costly for the mobile crowd, too much for console crowd without uber hardware and full third party support, and too expensive even as a secondary system to the third party machines most everyone already has.

If you believe that then why are you wanting powerful expensive hardware that'll make it more difficult to get to the software? And anyway, I never said hardware (atleast not alone) sells consoles, however the hardware can negatively affect sales when it gets in the way, such as gimmicks that jacked up the price of the Wii U and 3DS.

I will concede that I am potentially very wrong in the excitement for a console that has portable and home qualities. As we've seen in other hybrid devices such as laptops that can become tablets (or tablets with docking to become laptops), they are not flying off shelves. Add that to the perception that a portable is automatically one type of low-end gaming performance with phones being the dirt-bottom of that bar, it very well may mean that an NX with obvious portable qualities gets treated as automatically inferior for gaming. I personally disagree with that attitude as I see it as a home console with portable features. (yes I'm obviously assuming eurogamer and my op are right on what NX is)

As far as price... I don't think I pitched an expensive device with high price.

3DS has sold very well at $200 (XL). In fact, its done so well Nintendo stopped selling the $140 model and only focused on the XL size. Well, they do have the 2DS at $100, but that is a barebones device that also doesn't sell as well as the 3DSXL.

I think if NX is at $200 to $250 (completely reasonable prices for the tech being discussed), it will be fine. Then if the home docking bay is $100 with a controller and HDD plus ports for ext. HDDs, HDMI and some sort of CPU/GPU that can scale up its capabilities on TV... that is a great value. Though keeping it at $100 with all that will be hard... maybe.

superchunk said:

I will concede that I am potentially very wrong in the excitement for a console that has portable and home qualities. As we've seen in other hybrid devices such as laptops that can become tablets (or tablets with docking to become laptops), they are not flying off shelves. Add that to the perception that a portable is automatically one type of low-end gaming performance with phones being the dirt-bottom of that bar, it very well may mean that an NX with obvious portable qualities gets treated as automatically inferior for gaming. I personally disagree with that attitude as I see it as a home console with portable features. (yes I'm obviously assuming eurogamer and my op are right on what NX is)

As far as price... I don't think I pitched an expensive device with high price.

3DS has sold very well at $200 (XL). In fact, its done so well Nintendo stopped selling the $140 model and only focused on the XL size. Well, they do have the 2DS at $100, but that is a barebones device that also doesn't sell as well as the 3DSXL.

I think if NX is at $200 to $250 (completely reasonable prices for the tech being discussed), it will be fine. Then if the home docking bay is $100 with a controller and HDD plus ports for ext. HDDs, HDMI and some sort of CPU/GPU that can scale up its capabilities on TV... that is a great value. Though keeping it at $100 with all that will be hard... maybe.

Ah so we actually agree then, if they can do all of that for $250 or idealy $200 then of course they should go for it, though it just seems unlikely to me. Price is pretty much my only concern at this point as there's clearly a market for Nintendo games, but that market doesn't like paying much.

Einsam_Delphin said:
Nogamez said:

what? i dont really think they do mate maybe 20 years out of date type games but could imagine 3ds playing games like assasins creed 4 and stuff. Also the new 3ds zelda game was a simple top down view ( even if it was the most fun ive had on a zelda game)

What what? My question is pretty simply and straightforward. It's undeniable that most 3DS games play the same as their console counterparts, be it Mario Kart 7 & 8, Smash 4 3DS & Wii U, Animal Crossing New Leaf & City Folk, Kirby Triple Deluxe & Return to Dreamland, you get the idea. You can claim Nintendo is 20 years out of date, but that doesn't change the facts. And that's just the 3DS, now we're gonna have the NX which will atleast be more powerful than the Wii U, thus it very much can run games like ACIV, I mean you do realize Zelda BotW is confirmed for NX. That also trumps your one example ALBW even if we go with the faulty logic of "top down view = simple game", though Ocarina 3D and Majora 3D already did that.

I didnt say nintendo was outa date i said the 3ds only plays 20 year old games in full 3d ie ocarina mm and mgs

Nogamez said:

I didnt say nintendo was outa date i said the 3ds only plays 20 year old games in full 3d ie ocarina mm and mgs

That's well besides the point and I don't appreciate you ignoring almost my entire post. That's not even true, you clearly said "20 years out of date type games."

Eitherway, you're wrong, there aren't just remakes on the system that play in 3D, and 3D doesn't automatically mean it isn't a simple game, unless you believe Wii Sports is complex and full of depth. Plus, you do know that Nintendo consoles aren't nothing but full 3D games either. Pretty much all of the same series that are 2D on handheld are also 2D on console, such as 2D Mario, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, Smash Bros., etc. This just goes back to my main point that most Nintendo games play the same whether they're on handheld or console.