By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Take-Two “believers” in Nintendo, feeling “pretty enthusiastic” about NX

Are you I believer too?

Yes, I believe 79 68.10%

No, But I like Justin Bieber 37 31.90%

Total:116
Mike_L said:
Aielyn said:

1: Snip (bad ports, etc.)

2: If a title was "mature", they argued that there was "no market", yet they made no attempt to build a market for their own games, expecting Nintendo to build it for them.

3: But if it wasn't a "mature" title, their argument was that they couldn't really compete with Nintendo.

4: There were a few cases that explicitly demonstrated the potential in the Wii market. Goldeneye 007 sold better on Wii than the PS3 and 360 versions combined (by more than 50%), No More Heroes set a record for a Suda51 title, purely due to the Wii, with PS3 version selling about a third as many units and the 360 version massively bombing. Sonic Unleashed sold far better on Wii, as did Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga.

5: Resident Evil 4 sold comparably on Wii to how it did on Gamecube and PS2, despite being 2 years later (but they didn't bother making Resident Evil 5 for Wii). Call of Duty 3 sold nearly as well on Wii as on 360 and far better than on PS3 (but they didn't bother making Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for Wii until two years later, meaning the Wii never actually got Modern Warfare 2 at all), Star Wars: The Force Unleashed sold about as well on Wii as on PS3 and 360, but the sequel prioritised PS3 and 360 and the Wii version did poorly as a result.

6: I could start to list off all of the games, franchises, and genres that publishers never even attempted on the Wii, despite it being the best-selling system at the time, but I think I've already made my point.

7: These companies are mostly public companies - they can't just ignore a system without some form of "justification". So they release inferior titles.

8: There is no doubt that there is bias against Nintendo. Nintendo doesn't bend itself to the will of the third party, the way that Sony and Microsoft usually do.

1: I've heard all of that about bad ports so many times now. The 3rd party ports I've tried on my Wii U have been fine. Personally, I believe it has more to do with the tastes of the majority of Nintendo console demographics. I don't believe 3rd parties are biased and only release bad ports on Nintendo consoles.

2: That most Western 3rd parties are developing many "mature" titles (which mostly don't sell great on Nintendo consoles) doesn't make them biased against Nintendo. It's just happens to be where they've found their market and way of earning money. You could argue that it isn't fair to expect Nintendo to help improve that "mature" market for them but don't call 3rd parties biased when they offer stronger support elsewhere where manufacturers actually go the extra mile in order to create platforms where 3rd parties thrive. Sony and Microsoft are sucking up to 3rd parties to the point where it sometimes actually conflicts with their own financial short term interests. Fair enough if you don't want Nintendo to do that but then don't complain about weaker support in the same breath. See my 2nd comment to Rol above.

3: You're saying that especially "non-mature" 3rd party titles couldn't compete with Nintendo? Very few of the top 15 selling 3rd party titles on Wii were "mature".

1. Just Dance
2. Zumba Fitness
3. LEGO games
4. Guitar Hero
5. The Experience
6. Carnival Games
7. EA Sports Active
8. Epic Mickey
9. Cooking Mama
10. Skylanders
11. Sonic and the Secret Rings
12. Deca Sports
13. Game Party
14. uDraw
15. My Fitness Coach

4: As you mention GoldenEye 007, No More Heroes, Sonic Unleashed and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga all did great on Wii but at the same time they're all actually proof that 3rd parties will indeed support Nintendo if their games are selling well on their consoles.

GoldenEye 007 - All the following Activision shooters were on Nintendo consoles (007 Legends + COD: Black Ops + COD: Modern Warfare 3 + COD: Black Ops 2 + COD: Ghosts).
No More Heroes - Goichi Suda's next 4 games were all Nintendo exclusives (Flower, Sun and Rain + Fatal Frame IV + The Silver Case + No More Heroes 2).
Sonic Unleashed - The following Sonic and the Black Knight + Sonic Colors + Sonic Lost World + Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric + Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal + Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice were all Nintendo exclusives.
LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga - All the following 27 LEGO console games were on Nintendo consoles and 5 of them were Nintendo exclusives (LEGO Battles + LEGO Battles: Ninjago + LEGO City Undercover + LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins + LEGO Friends).

5: You criticize 3rd parties for not putting games like Resident Evil 5 and COD: Modern Warfare 2 on Wii in spite of the Wii being the market leader. I believe this was purely based on the Wii's weaker hardware specs. You don't want bad ports. Well, I think RE5 and MW2 would've run pretty bad on Wii's hardware. Additionally, in point 3 I listed the top 15 best selling 3rd party Wii games and there's not a single game like RE5 or MW2. Besides, MW2 was in development before GoldenEye 007 showed Activision that Wii had a market for shooters.

6: You can't just force motion controls into all those never attempted games you speak of. You could argue that the Wii had a "classic" controller but then the argument about biggest install base wouldn't be valid. Again, those big franchises wouldn't necessarily be big successes on Wii (see point 3).

7: I don't believe in this conspiracy and 3rd party bias against Nintendo. If there's money to be made, they'll come.

8: As I wrote to Rol: The monkey that went over to the bucket full of fruits instead of the empty one wasn't prejudiced. It was just acting as a rational thinking creature and chose the option where it got rewarded (also see point 2).

1. Can you name a specific example of a port that wasn't either poorly done, released more than 3 months late, or otherwise handicapped going in (like Rayman Legends with the massive, cynical public delay, or Black Ops 2 with it blatant that it wouldn't get support post-launch)? I don't care about what you "believe", I care about facts.

2. Mature titles sell fine on Nintendo consoles, when they're well-made. On the Wii, you had titles such as Call of Duty 3, Resident Evil 4 (and Umbrella Chronicles), Goldeneye, No More Heroes, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, and Monster Hunter Tri all demonstrate that (in the case of NMH, it's relative to typical Suda51, and comparison with PS3/360 version sales), as do Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. Can you name a "mature" title that was released on the Wii, that wasn't low quality or otherwise handicapped, that didn't sell at least decently-well?

3. I addressed the "casual game" case in the previous paragraph: "When they had a big casual hit, such as Just Dance or Carnival Games, they started pumping more and more of them out with lower quality and less value, to pump as much out of it before it died, rather than trying to cultivate a long-term audience. And if a casual title didn't sell huge numbers, they simply cut and ran." Casual titles work differently. But more than that, you're actually making my point for me. Third parties frequently LITERALLY said that it's hard to compete against Nintendo... but when they actually tried, they didn't have any trouble. Remember, I'm not describing the ACTUAL situation in that paragraph, I'm describing third party attitudes.

4. I listed four examples. They demonstrate that Nintendo has a broad and open market. And you think that proves me wrong? These games sold well BECAUSE the developer and publisher put in the effort. Did they put in the effort with Dead Space? Nope. Did they put in the effort with Grand Theft Auto? Nope, didn't even put it on the system. Final Fantasy? Nope. Call of Duty? Nope (publisher-specific, here - I have no qualms with Treyarch). Assassin's Creed? Nope. The Batman Arkham games? Nope. Any EA sports title except the Tiger Woods ones (which were never big-sellers)? Nope. Battlefield? Mass Effect? Far Cry? Crysis? Street Fighter? Mortal Kombat? BioShock? None of them. Shall I continue?

As for the examples themselves. Activision did put all of their shooters on the Wii following... except that nothing changed. They continued to be lacking in features (not talking about stuff the Wii couldn't handle, but stuff the Wii was completely capable of handling), unsupported after release, with no attention given to the Wii version prior to release either. Suda 51, I have no qualms with - understand, I'm not making sweeping "every developer does it" statements, I'm talking about the major publishers (Suda 51 tends to work with Marvelous, who have been quite good, and can't really be called a "major publisher") - incidentally, The Silver Case was never released for DS, and it was just a port of a 1999 game.

Sonic has almost always had a place on Nintendo consoles - it's undoubtedly a special case. Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom were from a Nintendo/Sega deal, though, so you really can't count those. And notice that they're all the spinoff Sonic titles; the "real" ones - Sonic Generations and Sonic 4 - didn't really get proper representation, with Sonic Generations skipping the Wii and Sonic 4 Episode 2 never making it to any Nintendo system.

TT Games, I have no problems at all with - they've been fine, have given proper support to Nintendo systems, and put real effort into every release. The LEGO games have been on-point, as they say nowadays.

5. "Bad ports" aren't about the quality of the graphics. They're about glitchiness, missing features that aren't particularly hard to implement, and more generally inferior quality of game. Would Resident Evil 5 on Wii have looked as good as it would on the other systems? No. But other than the graphical downgrade, is there anything in the game that would fail to work on the Wii? Not that I've seen, at least.

Modern Warfare 2 is a different situation entirely - it was missed because Infinity Ward didn't want to make their games for Wii, so Treyarch had to argue with Activision for the opportunity to port the IW games to Wii. They ported Modern Warfare 1 two years late (because World at War proved that there was at least some market), and despite not really getting much support from Activision, they managed to make a decent game with more features than were found in World at War. As I've said, I have no problem with Treyarch; Infinity Ward and Activision are to blame for the state of CoD on Nintendo systems. But MW2 didn't get missed because it would be a "downgrade", it got missed because they skipped MW1 originally, and they were basically trying to catch up. By MW3, they realised they were better off porting the current game, and so MW2 never happened.

World at War proved a market for shooters well before Goldeneye. Call of Duty 3 proved it even earlier - sold almost as much as the 360 version, and more than the PS3 version, despite lacking online entirely (another thing I don't blame anybody for - online wasn't fully prepared on Wii until a few months after CoD3 released).

Not sure what your point is regarding the "top 15" part, but let me ask you think - can you think of a Wii FPS title that wasn't gimped in terms of functionality, and that sold well on other systems? Goldeneye proved that Wii FPS titles can do well, but where was the follow-up attempt to make a Wii FPS? The closest is The Conduit, and while High Voltage Software were skilled at making a game engine, they sucked at game design.

6. Who said anything about forcing motion controls? Many genres have no need for such things on Wii, with Wiimote+Nunchuk buttons being more than sufficient. Others would have explicitly benefited from the Wii's controls. Where was the big turn-based RPG series? The RTS or Tactical RPG series? These would have used motion controls perfectly. Where were the big Survival Horror titles, considering that Resident Evil 4 did quite well and Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was the best-selling Silent Hill title of the generation (for one platform)? Every other survival horror title was either Nintendo-published (Fatal Frame), actually an on-rails shooter (RE Chronicles games, Dead Space, House of the Dead), completely missing the point of the original (Dead Rising), or published by a minor publisher (Cursed Mountain).

Something to think about - the Wii got both a Soulcalibur game and a Castlevania game. The Soulcalibur game was an adventure title and the Castlevania game was a fighter. Both franchises got normal titles on the other systems, and neither one got a game from their normal genre on the Wii. What does this tell us?

7. I'm not asserting a conspiracy. That implies organised intent. I'm suggesting the exact same kind of human behaviour that saw Square Enix refuse to work with Nintendo in the N64 era due to policies that were, by that time, defunct. I'm suggesting the exact same kind of behaviour that saw EA stop development on the Wii U before they had any real idea of how well it would sell, with just about everyone identifying it as a "falling out" - to such an extent that EA refused to allow a practically-finished Crysis 3 (according to the developers) to be released on the Wii U because there was "a lack of business support" from EA.

And again, I don't care what you "believe". And again, you can't use the "if there's money" argument - Crysis 3 could have been released on the eShop for nearly nothing; EA still wouldn't allow it. There have been other titles, along the way, that have been cancelled at the last minute for Nintendo systems. And "money" doesn't counteract any of my other points, which you have conveniently left off your summary of my post.

8. Monkeys aren't businesses, and a closer analogy would be the monkey going to the basket that they can SEE fruit in rather than a closed basket that might have more fruit... and refusing to ever go over to the closed basket because there's no current evidence that it contains fruit.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Mike_L said:

1: Again, I don't believe 3rd parties are prejudiced or biased against Nintendo. They go where the money is. You act as if EA = all 3rd party developers. GTA V had been in development for far too long to receive a Wii U port and other than that only EA games didn't come to the console. Enough with the conspiracy theory about bias and intended bad ports. The ports I've played on Wii U have been fine.

2: Why should 3rd parties blame the PS and Xbox audiences when most of their games sell well with the PS and Xbox audiences? I agree, that they shouldn't publicly blame the Wii U owners (that's EA for ya) but other than that you can't deny they got a point. Their "mature" games (which represents most of their library) don't sell well on Nintendo consoles. Just look at Wii's top 15 best selling 3rd party games.

1. Just Dance
2. Zumba Fitness
3. LEGO games
4. Guitar Hero
5. The Experience
6. Carnival Games
7. EA Sports Active
8. Epic Mickey
9. Cooking Mama
10. Skylanders
11. Sonic and the Secret Rings
12. Deca Sports
13. Game Party
14. uDraw
15. My Fitness Coach

3: Again, I don't believe they're biased but due to history and past experiences they may expect "non-mature" games to sell better than their "mature" games, I'll give you that. Whether that's fair I don't know but if making "mature" games is their thing, can we expect them to suddenly start developing a bunch of dancing and fitness games? I don't think so especially not now that most of Wii's audience is no longer interested in consoles.

Are you at times prejudiced against 3rd parties or is that a result of past experiences?

1: Your reasoning is very bad. You post a list of Wii games to prove that M-rated don't sell well while completely ignoring that most of the games in question didn't even release on the console. A game that does not exist cannot sell.

I am not interested in responding to any more because I've read the same flawed arguments hundreds of time before and hardly anything ever comes out of such a long discussion. However, I'll answer your final question because it's something that did not commonly appear before.

2: Of course I am prejudiced against third parties based on past experiences, but I've already addressed the cycle in my previous post. It's on third parties to put an end to the cycle, because from the consumer end, we can't solve the problem by buying low quality ports in higher numbers. All that will lead to is that third parties will continue with what they are doing, because it will be deemed as good enough when the games are selling. The cycle was also originally started by third parties. Upset because their games didn't sell as well as the best games on the system, they scaled back their efforts which in turn made it even less likely that they would be able to compete with the best games on the system.

1: Thank god I can just use copy/paste on this one as I agree this specific kind of "discussion" takes too damn long time XD

"You criticize 3rd parties for not putting games like Resident Evil 5 and COD: Modern Warfare 2 on Wii in spite of the Wii being the market leader. I believe this was purely based on the Wii's weaker hardware specs. You don't want bad ports. Well, I think RE5 and MW2 would've run pretty bad on Wii's hardware. Additionally, I listed the top 15 best selling 3rd party Wii games and there's not a single game like RE5 or MW2. Besides, MW2 was in development before GoldenEye 007 showed Activision that Wii had a market for shooters.

You can't just force motion controls into all those never attempted games you speak of. You could argue that the Wii had a "classic" controller but then the argument about biggest install base wouldn't be valid. Again, those big franchises wouldn't necessarily be big successes on Wii."

2: So basically it's like this?
3rd parties: "You did it first."
Rol (and others): "No, you did first!"
3rd parties: "Nuh uh!"
Rol (and others): "Yuh huh!"
etc.

XD Sorry. Yeah. Let's leave it. I guess I'll just have to live with some conspiracy theories.

Aielyn said:
Mike_L said:

Snip

Snip

7. I'm not asserting a conspiracy. That implies organised intent. I'm suggesting the exact same kind of human behaviour that saw Square Enix refuse to work with Nintendo in the N64 era due to policies that were, by that time, defunct.

Snip

In point 7 we're so close to finding a middle ground when you say that 3rd parties aren't conspiring against Nintendo but I'm not 100% sure that you understand that Square Enix's decision was based on financial logic rather than bias. Why the hell should they be biased against Nintendo?

Regarding everything else:

No offense but it'd just lead to an endless babbling from the both of us

RolStoppable said:

You need to be more realistic in your argument. You can't go from "Nintendo has to appease third parties to get quality ports" to "$350 console" when both Sony and Microsoft are already guaranteed to launch new consoles with more processing power than the PS4 and XB1, respectively. I also have to wonder how you think that it's possible for the NX home console and handheld to share most of the games when at that price difference for the hardware most of the big third party multiplatform games couldn't possible run on the handheld.

Instead of worrying about being the second choice, NX should focus on being the one and only choice for all those people who don't even consider a PlayStation or Xbox. NX should not encourage segregation between home console and handheld, but rather tear down such a wall. I get that a lot of people around here want a Nintendo console to be for the "pros", but it's exactly that kind of elitism that leads into the death spiral. The "casuals" should play on the handheld and not mess up "hardcore gaming", but the logical result of that are low sales for the home console which lead to bad sales for third party games which lead to third parties abandoning ship. The NX home console should be as much entry level as the NX handheld, so that it's up to the market to decide which device they'd rather play on.

And yes, I know that you are going to say that you aren't such an elitist, but when you arrange the pieces of the puzzle in the way you did above, there's at least a subconscious desire at work. Appeasing to third parties, home console and handheld sharing most of the games, neither of these two things are feasible at the hardware prices you mentioned. It sounds great (well, not for me, but you) as a fantasy scenario, but that's what it is: A fantasy scenario.

At $350 they would get quite a capable console, one to match and probably even surpass the current iterations of X1 and PS4 and for $400 the NX would be as powerful as the Neo and Scorpio (or close enough). And besides, they could make a home console for $300 and then have it up to the consumer to buy the handheld and link them together to boost the power, if the patents are to be believed. And regarding the graphical differences between the home console and the portable, why couldn't the games be scalable? The PC have managed that trick for years now, and by the sound of it, it seems like the NEo and Scorpio are heading that way too.

The problem with being the one and only choice for "casuals" is that they might not get a home console at all. Nintendo might be forced to invent a new gimmick each and every generation to keep them coming back. And we all know how that went down the last two times they tried it... I wanna make two points about this:

1) There isn't a big difference between the DS and 3DS, not really. The 3DS is a more powerful DS with 3D capabilities, more or less. So why didn't it sell as well as the DS? Or close to it? We could argue that the initial price point were too steep, but why haven't that been ratified since Nintendo cut the price? Why aren't the 3DS close to 100m? It's not like it has an entirely new controll mechanism, like Wii U. It's not like the entire market for handhelds disappeared, since it's still selling. Was it the 3D that scared them away? Well, that could easily be turned off, and is entirely misisng on the 2DS - which is the cheapest iteration of the 3DS, and yet, has sold the least. Or is it that the market simply moved on? Why buy a gaming device, and the games for it, when you can play for free.

2) The "casuals" are quite fickle and moved on from Wii and DS en masse. Sure, you can argue that Nintendo failed to sustain the Wii with quality games after 2010, but how about the transition from the DS to the 3DS I talked about? And what's to stop the "casuals" from moving on from the NX once they grow tired of it? The "core" gaming audience are more reliable that way, although, even that market share is having trouble retainen people these days, and I'm just speculating here; that could be because core gamers are turning to PC instead. If Nintendo made a "core" console they could win people back from the PC, since their games aren't playable anywhere else - but Nintendo would have to have strong 3rd party support for that to work.

What I'm saying is that the NX should be a place for ALL gamers to meet and play, casuals AND core. That's the argument I'm putting forth. A console strong enough to lure back 3rd parties, and thus the core gaming audience, but having the extraordinary IP's and creativity Nintendo has, they'd also bring casuals into the fold.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Train wreck said:
Do you only game on Nintendo hardware?  If so, you, and others like you, are in the extreme minority (if I had to guess <1%) and your opinion isn't really worth that much to 3rd parties.

When ACIII was released, the Wii U was brand new, Ubisoft Montreal had 6+ years of development on the PS3 and Xbox 360 (and both versions still had their problems, along with the Wii U version), trying to get a port 100% correct on brand new hardware (when you have other hardware you are used to working with) is expensive and again the logical choice was to put a better effort on consoles where you have more experience one, and have the userbase that will buy it two.

Why would an company advertise a game to a userbase that is nonexistent?

Splinter Cell: Blacklist, same issue as ACIII, first year development for Ubisoft.  When you have development shared between other, more establish consoles, the weakest one (by hardware and marketshare) will get the least amount of attention.  What they make work for Rayman, they failed on those two games...which makes sense since Raymay was Wii U exclusive for all of its development, they had 100% dedication to it.  They delayed a completed game to allow other versions to release at the same time.

These issues wouldn't be a problem with franchises established on a system, but neither Splinter Cell nor Assassin's Creed had established markets that would buy them immediately. Nintendo gamers have learned not to rush into purchases of third party titles, because they tend to be poorly ported, glitchy affairs.

Whats with this Nintendo gamers have learned nonsense? These gamers didnt buy the Wii U version because there were better and cheaper options available to them which goes back to my first point of being a Nintendo only gamer.

First, I mostly game on Nintendo hardware, but I do also game on PC. But thanks for suggesting that I must be "in the extreme minority". Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? I'm looking for facts, so you'd better have a study or something similar to back up your claim. Otherwise I'll just assume you're full of it.

I don't mind ACIII having some technical imperfections. I *do* mind them not advertising the Wii U version. And I do mind Blacklist having major glitches. But ultimately, those aren't the issue. I'm not arguing that ACIII should have been better, I'm arguing that they're not solid arguments for why third parties shouldn't support the Wii U. They're franchises that are new to the console, inferior to the other versions, and yet people point at them as proof that there's no market for that franchise on the system.

The logical thing to do would be to build on the market established by those titles, use the lessons from development to make a tighter port, and push the title harder. Instead, there was no followup to Blacklist at all, while ACIV lacked any DLC support that the other versions had, had some major framerate issues, and no attempt was made to seriously push the game on the Wii U (but hey, at least the ads had the Wii U logo, albeit rather small, at the end). Markets have to be built for each franchise, they don't just magically materialise.

Meanwhile, I do like how you tried to sneak in that blatant attack on the Wii U with the implication that the Wii U's hardware is weaker than the PS3 and 360 - facts that just don't hold up.

Mind you, if it weren't for continuing attitudes by third parties, the issues I've listed about ACIII and ACIV probably wouldn't have stopped the games selling well. But when you're used to being skeptical of the quality of a third party title, you're a lot less likely to be satisfied with "almost comparable" quality. And that's the point I'm making - if you have a choice between buying a third party title and a first party title, and you know the first party title will be good, you're going to need the third party title to actually give you reason to look at it. And "we've almost reached comparable quality with the other versions" looks more like "we couldn't be bothered to put in the resources to get the game up to scratch".

And I've done that repeatedly, so I'm not misrepresenting things at all. About three quarters of my Wii library is third-party titles, covering everything from Red Steel (I really wanted a real sequel to that game), to No More Heroes, to Dewy's Adventure. I bought Call of Duty: World at War, because I saw Treyarch's effort even despite Activision's treatment. And again, I bought Black Ops, because I saw Treyarch's efforts. But as the Wii generation went on, I became more and more cautious about buying non-Nintendo games, because multiple times I'd ended up with games that just didn't live up to what they should have been; a problem I almost never have had with Nintendo games.

Nowadays, I tend to go with more independent titles, because most of them put passion and effort into every game they release, on every platform the game is released on. I'm itching for a Dynasty Warriors on my console because I love the Hyrule Warriors titles and want more of that gameplay... yet no such title is on the way, as far as I can see. I've bought multiple third party titles only to be kicked in the gut, colloquially speaking, each time, this generation.

I buy good games. There are only a few types of games I just don't like (not a fan of the "Horror" titles, because I don't get enjoyment out of games trying to scare me, whether they succeed or not), and otherwise, if a good game is made, I'll pretty much certainly buy it.

I buy Nintendo consoles because I know there will be enough good games to satisfy me. Nintendo games are pretty much guaranteed to be good games. But I'd love to have more good games, and I've prioritised third party titles over first-party titles multiple times, where there's been good reason to do so (Rayman Legends, for example).

But it's funny - people like you like to refer to "Nintendo-only gamer", as though that's a thing. What? They buy Nintendo consoles and not the PS/Xbox systems? They must only like Nintendo games, right?

Around the Network
Mike_L said:
Aielyn said:

Snip

7. I'm not asserting a conspiracy. That implies organised intent. I'm suggesting the exact same kind of human behaviour that saw Square Enix refuse to work with Nintendo in the N64 era due to policies that were, by that time, defunct.

Snip

In point 7 we're so close to finding a middle ground when you say that 3rd parties aren't conspiring against Nintendo but I'm not 100% sure that you understand that Square Enix's decision was based on financial logic rather than bias. Why the hell should they be biased against Nintendo?

So basically, "middle ground", to you, is me agreeing with your view.

As for Square Enix - even Square's own president admitted that they refused to release for Nintendo systems because of pride. Here's a direct quote from an interview in a Nikkei newspaper:

"Our true enemy," he admitted, "was our pride". This was pride that resulted from the heady years of the original PlayStation. When Square originally announced back in 1997 that the Final Fantasy series would be PlayStation exclusive from now on, Nintendo president Hiroshi Yamauchi treated the affront lightly, saying that the console selection "couldn't be helped." Suzuki responded by publicly bashing the N64 and convincing Enix to join the PS camp along with them, which, looking back at it now, he realizes wasn't an incredibly smart move. The little grudge match between them that resulted was the main reason Square failed in their bid for a Nintendo license earlier this year.

But hey, it must be my imagination and "financial logic rather than bias", right?

First, I mostly game on Nintendo hardware, but I do also game on PC. But thanks for suggesting that I must be "in the extreme minority". Do you have any evidence to back up that claim? I'm looking for facts, so you'd better have a study or something similar to back up your claim. Otherwise I'll just assume you're full of it.

Im not suggessting anything, i just asked a question to see why you are in the state of mind you are constantly in when it comes to third parties.

I don't mind ACIII having some technical imperfections. I *do* mind them not advertising the Wii U version. And I do mind Blacklist having major glitches. But ultimately, those aren't the issue. I'm not arguing that ACIII should have been better, I'm arguing that they're not solid arguments for why third parties shouldn't support the Wii U. They're franchises that are new to the console, inferior to the other versions, and yet people point at them as proof that there's no market for that franchise on the system.

The logical thing to do would be to build on the market established by those titles, use the lessons from development to make a tighter port, and push the title harder. Instead, there was no followup to Blacklist at all, while ACIV lacked any DLC support that the other versions had, had some major framerate issues, and no attempt was made to seriously push the game on the Wii U (but hey, at least the ads had the Wii U logo, albeit rather small, at the end). Markets have to be built for each franchise, they don't just magically materialise.

Meanwhile, I do like how you tried to sneak in that blatant attack on the Wii U with the implication that the Wii U's hardware is weaker than the PS3 and 360 - facts that just don't hold up.

Mind you, if it weren't for continuing attitudes by third parties, the issues I've listed about ACIII and ACIV probably wouldn't have stopped the games selling well. But when you're used to being skeptical of the quality of a third party title, you're a lot less likely to be satisfied with "almost comparable" quality. And that's the point I'm making - if you have a choice between buying a third party title and a first party title, and you know the first party title will be good, you're going to need the third party title to actually give you reason to look at it. And "we've almost reached comparable quality with the other versions" looks more like "we couldn't be bothered to put in the resources to get the game up to scratch".

And I've done that repeatedly, so I'm not misrepresenting things at all. About three quarters of my Wii library is third-party titles, covering everything from Red Steel (I really wanted a real sequel to that game), to No More Heroes, to Dewy's Adventure. I bought Call of Duty: World at War, because I saw Treyarch's effort even despite Activision's treatment. And again, I bought Black Ops, because I saw Treyarch's efforts. But as the Wii generation went on, I became more and more cautious about buying non-Nintendo games, because multiple times I'd ended up with games that just didn't live up to what they should have been; a problem I almost never have had with Nintendo games.

Nowadays, I tend to go with more independent titles, because most of them put passion and effort into every game they release, on every platform the game is released on. I'm itching for a Dynasty Warriors on my console because I love the Hyrule Warriors titles and want more of that gameplay... yet no such title is on the way, as far as I can see. I've bought multiple third party titles only to be kicked in the gut, colloquially speaking, each time, this generation.

I buy good games. There are only a few types of games I just don't like (not a fan of the "Horror" titles, because I don't get enjoyment out of games trying to scare me, whether they succeed or not), and otherwise, if a good game is made, I'll pretty much certainly buy it.

I buy Nintendo consoles because I know there will be enough good games to satisfy me. Nintendo games are pretty much guaranteed to be good games. But I'd love to have more good games, and I've prioritised third party titles over first-party titles multiple times, where there's been good reason to do so (Rayman Legends, for example).

But it's funny - people like you like to refer to "Nintendo-only gamer", as though that's a thing. What? They buy Nintendo consoles and not the PS/Xbox systems? They must only like Nintendo games, right?

I've only read the first sentence because thats all I really need to know.  You are championing a silly cause, you have the ability to experience the best way to play said 3rd party games and you refuse for...reasons?  They are the cheapest, have the best graphics, are fully advertised, have all DLC, tend to have fewer glitches and these are all based on what you want to spend on the PC itself.

Instead of continaully writing about how 3rd party (multiplat especially) games should be on Nintendo consoles (which is the worst way to play them because of various situations), you should focus on telling people the best way to, especially if you feel that the games are worth playing.  

RolStoppable said:

Nintendo would definitely need to match the power of the upcoming PS/Xbox consoles, because otherwise third parties would treat NX the same way as the Wii U (some ports, but no long term strategy). Even at $400 that wouldn't be an easy fit, unless Nintendo started to charge for online multiplayer. Remember, Nintendo is supposed to make a profit, not just sell systems. The idea of a $300 console coupled with a supplemental computing device doesn't fly, because there's no guaranteed installed base; third parties would treat this like they do peripherals, so little support. Scalable games are certainly a thing, but it doesn't work infinitely. When you want such a powerful console, you need a handheld that is at least somewhat close in power.

There have been more 3D products than the 3DS in recent years. All of them tried to ride the wave of an expected hot new trend, but ultimately they all found themselves on the wrong side of the trend; the majority of people does not like 3D. You don't need to use the 3D of a 3D TV either, but that doesn't mean that people will buy it despite not liking 3D. With the 3DS, however, the branding problem is a lot more complex because it includes all the games. Simply offering the 2DS doesn't solve the issue, because the games that need to be bought are still labeled "3DS". And while people wouldn't even use the 3D feature, there's the perception that they would be paying for something that they wouldn't even use. Feels like a waste of money = tougher sell.

It is a fantasy scenario to have all gamers of all kinds play on the same system. People have different expectations for what they want from gaming, so if you were to mix everything together, you would get a huge incompatible mess. For example, not powerful enough for people with high-end PC rigs, too expensive for people who do not seek graphic-intensive games. You would have to make concessions in pretty much all design aspects of the system, so you'd have something of everything, but it wouldn't be particularly good at anything.

If the goal of a thought experiment is to create a successful Nintendo system, then the basis for that should be an analysis of the company's past successes and failures, not an analysis of what has worked for other companies, especially not when other companies are set up so differently. We've already moved in a circle, so I'll just end this post by reiterating that Nintendo putting out a triplet would not lead to success, but rather to big failure.

You seem to have a reply to every argument, don't you? ;)

I'm actually quite eager to hear your thoughts on these latest rumours from Eurogamer. I see that you're not buying in to it, but let's just say that if this were true... How do you think it would fare?

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

You seem to have a reply to every argument, don't you? ;)

I'm actually quite eager to hear your thoughts on these latest rumours from Eurogamer. I see that you're not buying in to it, but let's just say that if this were true... How do you think it would fare?

I haven't seen any indication for its retail price, but I assume it would be around $250. That's too expensive for a handheld. The design is not appealing for home use. It's a device that tries to cater to different needs at the same time, but in the end serves neither really well. It could still be moderately successful (50m lifetime) because of Japan's preference for handhelds and the strength of Nintendo IPs globally, but that's pretty meh all around. It isn't an idea that I would have greenlit if I had any say at Nintendo.

What would you have greenlit then? What kind of a console would you make?

RolStoppable said:
DanneSandin said:

What would you have greenlit then? What kind of a console would you make?

Something like the Wii which featured simplicity, depth and was affordable. A $250 home console that comes bundled with a game, a $200 handheld that also comes with a game. This would of course rule out high processing power, but I would turn this perceived weakness into a strength by emphasizing a higher first party software output (games running on both devices, development times that are kept in check because the games do not get much more technically advanced than in the previous generation) and leveraging the Japanese third party support that my company already has in the handheld market, highlighting just how much exclusive software my platform has, and it's cheap to boot.

That's a very rough outlining of what I have in mind. Playing to one's own strengths, deliberately not trying to offer the exact same things others are already offering, hence the significant differences in price and game library.

All I'm seeing is the lack of Western 3rd party support... I'm not saying it's a bad concept, it would probably be more successful than what I've argued for here, but the lack of processing power would probably hinder it somewhat