By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you think is more important for Nintendo NX to have, powerful hardware or great first year lineup?

Which do you feel is more important for NX's success

Console Power 95 28.11%

Launch Lineup 212 62.72%

See results 31 9.17%

Total:338

Obviously a strong line up.

vivster said:

I don't like that question. Those things are not equal and also not mutually exclusive. But you ask that question if they were.

That said, it's obviously powerful hardware. To quote a wise man: "A powerful console will eventually get software, a bad console will forever be bad". It's 1 year with a good but not great launch lineup vs 7 years with a bad console. Seems kinda obvious which to pick.

No offense to that wise man but that's by far the most stupid thing I have read today.

Around the Network

Software. NX needs software above all else.

padib said:
RolStoppable said:

Why is this such an issue? I could see it being a deal if the most reasonable answer wasn't an option, but that's not the case here.

If you want to say that both are equally important, you must accept a $400 Nintendo home console. Then you have to ask yourself if there is even a large market who would pay that much for a Nintendo system, and more specifically, if NX is supposed to pack so much power, how is that feasible in conjunction with a handheld that is supposed to play much of the same games as the home console. It's simply unrealistic. Powerful hardware would contradict the very core of the NX strategy.

I think it's possible for them to come up with a powerful console that is marked 300$. They did it with the gamecube.

Your argument against the WiiU was correct. The problem was the controller. A console worth 200$ graphics-wise was priced 350$ due to an optional controller that had a screen on it. It wasn't necessary. It marked up a console that people finally didn't want. It didn't have enough games, it wasn't powerful enough for multi-plats, and it was pricy: a recipe for disaster.

If they could add graphics to the system rather than unneeded input controls, they would be in the right direction.

Of course, the NX being a hybrid, the strategy would be to consolidate both handheld and home console libraries. So if they offer a capable console at 300$ with a combined library, my God, they will make a killing.

That would (in turn) be less powerful than the Scorpio and Neo. You're option then seems like the library overall would be the most important thing. 

Alt Removed

Carl

power. power brings 3rd party support and improves perception in core gamers eyes.

Around the Network

Alt Removed

Carl

padib said:
bigtakilla said:

That would (in turn) be less powerful than the Scorpio and Neo. You're option then seems like the library overall would be the most important thing. 

That's not what I'm saying.

When the PS4 came out, it was 400$, it was cutitng edge. The scorpio and neo will be cutting edge when they come out, and will hopefully be priced reasonably (at 400-500$).

Nintendo can make something very comparable at 300-400$, it doesn't need to have 4k playback, but it needs to have graphical parity.

If they reduce the cost of the console by stripping it of optional input controls (wiimote, Ugamepad), they can have graphical parity, a very strong launch library (combining HH and Home), all at an attractive entry price.

These things are not mutually exclusive. It's like a recipe. You would not like brownies with no chocolate in them, or without flour.

But as you're also saying, the PS4 and Xbone fall into the same price range. I can't see a console more powerful than the base options (to any noticable degree, see Wii U vs Xbox 360/PS3) for the other two releasing for $300. Essentially being at this point where more powerful tech is coming out, it isn't going to be parodying the two newer consoles. 

Based on "generation" perspectives, it will also be roughly a gen behind as well.

Software sells hardware better than power does. PS1, PS2, Wii, DS, 3DS, all sold better than their more powerful counterparts.

Not sure why people don't get this yet.

Software sells hardware.

superchunk said:
Not sure why people don't get this yet.

Software sells hardware.

But hardware sells software, as well.