By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - WTF is a "Day One Edition"?

Tagged games:

Wright said:

I guess it applies to games that come with content not found in posterior versions or downloadables as microtransactions/DLC. As someone mentioned already, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Day One brought you FFXV's Episode Duscae, and so far that's the only way to access it.

Likewise, Dead Rising 3's Day One edition had exclusive skins for the main character based upon Dead Rising 1 and Dead Rising 2 protagonists, and you can't access these skins without the Day One (or via mods on PC).

Of course these "Day One" editions are usually available, at least digitally, for months after the games release lol

Around the Network
Angelus said:

Of course these "Day One" editions are usually available, at least digitally, for months after the games release lol

Yeah. I think I got FF Type-0 like a year after it released, still Day One edition. xD

Bristow9091 said:
I bought MGSV: The Phantom Pain two weeks ago for £15... when it first released back in September it was £40 and had a "Day One Edition"

Mine is also the Day One Edition, I've bought it TEN MONTHS afterwards, and for less than half price.

... I don't get it.

Well you see Bristow, you can trust publishers and PRE-ORDER NOW FOR THE DELUXE EXPANSION PACK AND ICONIC KEYCHAIN AND BE A BRO AND BUY THAT DAY ONE SEASON PASS OF CONTENT YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU'LL WANT YOU FILTHY MONEY FLUSHING CUCKS.

Hope that helps. :)

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

I think it's a reaction to people like you who don't believe games are worth their price tags. It's an incentive for people to get a copy of the first shipment. Sometimes you're able to find stuff months later, other times, you're not. It just depends.

Criticizing this is pretty odd because it's a far more consumer-friendly practice than enacting strict price floors or blocking used games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
I think it's a reaction to people like you who don't believe games are worth their price tags. It's an incentive for people to get a copy of the first shipment. Sometimes you're able to find stuff months later, other times, you're not. It just depends.

Criticizing this is pretty odd because it's a far more consumer-friendly practice than enacting strict price floors or blocking used games.

Hmm I think you may have misread.  I don't think I said games aren't worth their price tags, I said that I personally cannot afford their suggested price.  I believe that games often launch incomplete or with many bugs and glitches.  I also don't think it makes the most sense to pay the full price when the price will go down within a few months, or when a GOTY edition is released.  These days most gamers have more games than they have time to play them, there's even a site that helps you keep track of all your games.  There's no rush to go out and buy new ones at full price.

Again I think you misread, not sure where I criticized Day One Editions.  This thread was asking what they are.  Reguardless, criticizing anything is fine and I think people like you who say "it could be worse" are more odd.  :)

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
Angelus said:
Wright said:

I guess it applies to games that come with content not found in posterior versions or downloadables as microtransactions/DLC. As someone mentioned already, Final Fantasy Type-0 HD Day One brought you FFXV's Episode Duscae, and so far that's the only way to access it.

Likewise, Dead Rising 3's Day One edition had exclusive skins for the main character based upon Dead Rising 1 and Dead Rising 2 protagonists, and you can't access these skins without the Day One (or via mods on PC).

Yeah, seriously. I got the Day One edition of FF Type-0 HD edition (physical too) over a year after release. Kind of defeats the purpose but at least I got a neat sticker out of it.

IkePoR said:
outlawauron said:

Hmm I think you may have misread.  I don't think I said games aren't worth their price tags, I said that I personally cannot afford their suggested price.  I believe that games often launch incomplete or with many bugs and glitches.  I also don't think it makes the most sense to pay the full price when the price will go down within a few months, or when a GOTY edition is released.  These days most gamers have more games than they have time to play them, there's even a site that helps you keep track of all your games.  There's no rush to go out and buy new ones at full price.

Again I think you misread, not sure where I criticized Day One Editions.  This thread was asking what they are.  Reguardless, criticizing anything is fine and I think people like you who say "it could be worse" are more odd.  :)

Well, you can't really blame because all of the bolded sound like reasons why you think games aren't worth their price tags.

I did answer the question though. It's the publisher trying to incentivize people to buy things earlier on.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I got a day one Edition of Ryse and Dead Rising 3 when I got my Xbox One after Titanfall released. I honored.

Marketing it's called marketing
If it's my fav franchise I will get special edition for $90 or more

Screw day one, what about day zero?

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."