By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Old Pokemon Fans Please Come In

I would start with FireRed/LeafGreen, then Ruby/Saphire/Emerald, then HeartGold/SoulSilver, then Diamond/Pearl, and then the rest. Also these are highly emulatable, so you won't find any problems looking for a copy.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Try HeartGold/SoulSilver. Theyre much better than the originals

Only play the first 2 generations, watch the anime until 2nd season.

Then stop watching/playing Pokemon.

BraLoD said:
StarOcean said:
Try HeartGold/SoulSilver. Theyre much better than the originals

How could you, Star... :o

What? The originals are ugly XD

mZuzek said:
I might be a little bit too late for this, but my recommendation would be:

DO NOT play Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold or SoulSilver BEFORE playing Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed or LeafGreen. There's a certain reason for why you would want to play R/B/Y/FR/LG before G/S/C/HG/SS, and I'm not going to say why because that would kinda spoil the experience for you, but trust me, it's better this way.

Other than that, you can start with pretty much any Pokémon game out there. In my opinion the best ones are X/Y (on the 3DS), and they're pretty good to start with too, but most of them are just fine. If you want a sweet story (something Pokémon games as a whole don't really have), go with Black/White and then Black 2/White 2.

SSShhhhhhhh

That's Pokemon biggest kept secret. And biggest fanservice in the series ever.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Start with Gen 1 (Red / Blue / Yellow), either the original GB or the GBA versions if you can track them down.  Also watch the first season (Indigo League) of the Pokemon cartoon show, it's arguably the best part of Pokemon.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

mZuzek said:
NightDragon83 said:

Start with Gen 1 (Red / Blue / Yellow), either the original GB or the GBA versions if you can track them down.  Also watch the first season (Indigo League) of the Pokemon cartoon show, it's arguably the best part of Pokemon.

Don't listen to this guy, the Pokémon anime is ass.

Not Pokemon Origins, that one owns and should be seen by everyone who likes Pokemon.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

mZuzek said:
I might be a little bit too late for this, but my recommendation would be:

DO NOT play Gold, Silver, Crystal, HeartGold or SoulSilver BEFORE playing Red, Blue, Yellow, FireRed or LeafGreen. There's a certain reason for why you would want to play R/B/Y/FR/LG before G/S/C/HG/SS, and I'm not going to say why because that would kinda spoil the experience for you, but trust me, it's better this way.

Other than that, you can start with pretty much any Pokémon game out there. In my opinion the best ones are X/Y (on the 3DS), and they're pretty good to start with too, but most of them are just fine. If you want a sweet story (something Pokémon games as a whole don't really have), go with Black/White and then Black 2/White 2.

After doing a bit of research and taking everyones input here, ive decided to go with FireRed/Leafgreen first reason being they are remakes of 1st gen and I'd much rather play on GBA over GB. Then if i get into it I'll get Heartgold/SoulSilver, then Emerald. Someone here mentioned Emerald is better than the 3DS remake.

So i went out and tried to find a copy in store so I can start right away, but had no luck. Then I looked on line and was shocked at prices people are asking. Seeing how they sold so well, I thought they'd be a dime a dozen, not the case. I did find someone selling one locally for $10 but he hasnt replied to my email yet. *sigh*

In the meantime Pokemon Go launched in Canada yesterday so I downloaded it but havent tried it yet.

BraLoD said:
StarOcean said:

What? The originals are ugly XD

I didn't know you were such a monster! D:

Hey, at least it's still Gold/SIlver xD It's a cleaned up version of the best pokemon game.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I also played every gen. If you really want to play them all, then I recommend to start with:
1) Fire Red/Leaf Green
2) HeartGold/SoulSilver
3) Emerald
4) Platinum
5) White/Black

PS. But I don't think this is a good idea to play a lot of pretty similar Pokemon games back to back.

Start with Platinum or White/Black. U dont need to play them all or even every gen.