By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Windows 10 for Business to Introduce Subscription Fee

So what are they paying for? Just to have the OS? Can you keep windows 10, but without the updates, or would that brick your system? Sounds very shady either way.

Around the Network

I have the worst choice upgrading my Windows 8 on notebook to 10 and if they were to charge for month I would certainly move away from Windows.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

Sorry to say, you can’t just make an OS and expect it to be successful. At this stage Windows is still the most popular OS in the world. Ask anyone what Windows is and tell somebody what Linux is. You can’t just push into the market and expect it to do wonders. Can Google make an OS as good as Windows? Haha an OS is not easy to create and implement.  

I think you underestimate the quality and popularity of Xbox franchises. Forza Horizon series for example would be a shame to miss out on especially since the 3rd one is around the corner. Future Rare Titles and obviously the next Halo games are not games people will just move on because of a pay wall. Heck Sony added a pay wall to the PS brand and they gain more customers.. work that out.

Do you think Gamers are just going to start ignoring a platform because of some policies? If the service is good and deserving than people won’t care.

Google already as an OS.  It's called Android.  Something millions upon millions use everyday on their phone/tablet.  It's extremely easy to use.  Slap a slightly different coat of paint on it, put it in a good laptop, with Steam support, and I'm sure many would switch over.  Especially if you can easily connect it to your phone's account.

You forgoto about Chrome OS which is installed on Chromebooks.

Chromebooks are now outselling MacBooks on a quarterly basis.

People are over dramatic. Its for large businesses only, and its optional. You can still just install the home or pro versions if you want, which are free to upgrade to, or just have one base price.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

plz devs, support Vulkan along with/instead of DX12, thx

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Now is the time for Google to strike. Fuck Chromebook, release the Kraken, a full PC running a retooled Android. Allow it to sink with smartphones. Windows will slowly die, especially if they try this crap with consumer versions.

A world where Android rules is not a world I'd want to live in... 

AsGryffynn said:
thismeintiel said:
Now is the time for Google to strike. Fuck Chromebook, release the Kraken, a full PC running a retooled Android. Allow it to sink with smartphones. Windows will slowly die, especially if they try this crap with consumer versions.

A world where Android rules is not a world I'd want to live in... 

Nor a world where MS rules either...

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

thismeintiel said:
Azzanation said:

Sorry to say, you can’t just make an OS and expect it to be successful. At this stage Windows is still the most popular OS in the world. Ask anyone what Windows is and tell somebody what Linux is. You can’t just push into the market and expect it to do wonders. Can Google make an OS as good as Windows? Haha an OS is not easy to create and implement.  

I think you underestimate the quality and popularity of Xbox franchises. Forza Horizon series for example would be a shame to miss out on especially since the 3rd one is around the corner. Future Rare Titles and obviously the next Halo games are not games people will just move on because of a pay wall. Heck Sony added a pay wall to the PS brand and they gain more customers.. work that out.

Do you think Gamers are just going to start ignoring a platform because of some policies? If the service is good and deserving than people won’t care.

Google already as an OS.  It's called Android.  Something millions upon millions use everyday on their phone/tablet.  It's extremely easy to use.  Slap a slightly different coat of paint on it, put it in a good laptop, with Steam support, and I'm sure many would switch over.  Especially if you can easily connect it to your phone's account.

Sorry, Xbox franchises may be good, but they are not necessary.  Which is evidenced by the fact that every franchise MS has has seen a decline in sales.  This just shows you that the initial dislike of XBO policies and the appeal of the PS4 has been enough for some gamers to just walk away from them.  And the reason people are fine with PS Plus is because Sony didn't just make you buy online access, like MS was fine with doing.  They actually gave you something back in return, free games and discounts.  Something MS was forced to start doing, as well.

Why are you embarrassing yourself with ridiculous claims?

It´s clear you have no idea what a OS does and how dificult is to make a competitive one. Windows is now north of 50 MILLIONS lines of code. It´s probably the most complex system ever assemble by humans, it has to support millions of programs and hardware configuration. Google can´t get anywhere near without going bankrupt.

See by the other side, Microsoft couldn´t make Windows Phone competitive eventhough they had all the PC know-how. Also, nor any other hardware maker could defeat Android or iOS, despite many attempts. Sony and Nintendo don´t build their OS for their consoles, they have to buy a proven solution. Even the smaller head start could make a very good system being ignored.

Linux is 25 years old, the best archtectures and engineers have worked on it and big corporations have invested on it. It is free!! And still can´t make a dent on the Windows consumer/office market. 

But in the end that is why MS should try new alternatives. For regular users, Windows doesn´t need to be that big and complex. Simple systems running Chrome OS could rise for Moms and Pops "surfing" the internet. PC is the last place I wan´t to play games or whatch movies, but it is where I have to work.

PS: How do you feel about your Netflix subscription? Do you think it´s time to Blockbuster strike back?

jardesonbarbosa said:
I hope they eventually extend it to home users so Windows can finally die.

Why do you want Windows to die? And who do you think should take MS's place for computer OS? 

WoodenPints said:

Jeez that's one hell of a clickbait title, Surprised it hasn't been fixed by a mod already.

It has been my dear, thank you for your backseat moderation.