By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hideo Kojima believes 'massive, long games will become a thing of the past'

He's not wrong, but he's not right either.

Yes, shorter, and more episodic gaming experiences will, in all likelihood, become more prevalent over time.

However, and this is a big but, they won't be replacing the games that were always going to be massive anyway. Because the thing is, it's not really about the size of the game, it's about the studios making these games having the necessary skill and resources to fill them with content that provides satisfying pay offs in both the long and short term, so that you can go in, play for an hour, have an amazing experience that leaves you wanting more, and then likewise make sure that these experiences build on themselves for hours on end culminating in an overall high point (or points) rather than growing stale as you go along.

So of course, it's much easier to make more bite sized gaming experiences that are enjoyable, but there will always be a place for the massive games because, frankly, they are simply a higher craft when executed well, and that shows, and it captivates people.

Around the Network
danielrdp said:

In a recent interview with GameSpot, Hideo Kojima believes the industry is headed toward a proliferation of bite-sized gaming experiences.

GameSpot caught up with Kojima after he gave a keynote at Develop 2016 in Brighton. He explained that even though Death Stranding may not necessarily be cut up into episodic chunks, he believes that format will become prevalent, mainly because it lets developers avoid getting bogged down in lengthy and expensive production cycles.

"But in the future I think this is a change that will definitely take place and I'd be interested. I don't think movies in the future will last two hours, especially when people are already demanding more speedy experiences and delivery. So taking shorter time spans to develop, putting it out, integrating user feedback quickly, and having that freedom in game-making, I think it will apply to movies and TV too."

Kojima pointed to current trends in Japanese TV and film production as a model to follow. Many morning shows last 15 minutes, a palatable duration for families who enjoy watching as they eat bustle about getting ready for school and work.

"That's where I think things are headed, having five or 15-minute episodes," Kojima said. "For games, having massive, long games will become a thing of the past."

If he's right, the future will be bleak. I really dislike the way AAA games such as Hitman or Resident Evil Revelation 2 are being sold in episodes rather than a full completed game.  

Well thats exactley what should have happened with MGS5, but instead the game just suddenly ends as they run out of money and Konamis patience. Is this the better way?

Kojima is learning and makes the right decisions here

What if we prefer "massive, long games" ?

Cant one of you devs, figour out how to cut down abit on the graphics and make games about....
gameplay? story & world instead?

I dont want insanely beautifull games that only last 3-4 hours, and afterwards your rewarded with "congratulations, Episode #1 of game complete", and have to wait a few years for the next part of the story.

Yet 5+ million gamers are still playing and loving WoW and from last i checked, thats not a small game.

All massive and long things are a thing of the past
It's all about chisai now

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Yet 5+ million gamers are still playing and loving WoW and from last i checked, thats not a small game.

Not to mention that as Wow declines, FFXIV and the revitalized ESO continue to grow along with numerous other smaller MMOs

Maybe it is. Games like The Order 1886 make me cry, lol.
But seriously tho, gamers are being more critical about this issue of hours to finish the game than ever. I believe LOT of the best games in the past don't have 40 or 50 hours to finished.

"I don't think movies in the future will last two hours"

He a nostradamus now! Movies have been like the same length for over 100 years now.

I think the fame has gone to his head. "a Kojima game" every 5 seconds in MGSV was annoying af and it's the most forgettable MGS game with barely a story.

Also I think he was the most at fault for the state of the game and not Konami. You pitch an idea to the publisher, they give u a budget to make your vision come true. He has more than 20 years of experience making games, he should've been able to plan ahead. In fact he is likely the reason why Konami went the mobile route, seeing how much this guy was costing them with no end in sight.

Perhaps the amount of longer games will shrink, but I don't think they will ever go away. There will always be games that offer a lot to do, and besides shorter games have always been around. It's not like shorter games is becoming a new standard. TV shows like cartoons have had 10-15 min episodes since a long time ago, and there are 30 min to 1 hr shows as well.

I don't agree with Kojima here.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Games do seem to be getting shorter these days, unless they involve busywork (grinding the time away or 100% exploring a big but relatively empty map) or multiplayer. Seems a natural progression of things: short & sweet but too difficult for casuals -> easy enough for the masses but exhausting length -> short, sweet & easy.