By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mini-NES won't have more games beyond the 30 available, no online, etc.

- Kotaku spoke with a Nintendo spokesperson about NES and they asked him the following questions regarding the just announced Mini-NES:

Will the mini-NES be able to connect to the internet?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The game lineup was chosen to provide a diverse mix of popular and recognizable NES games that appeal to a wide variety of players. Everyone should be able to find multiple games to enjoy.

On the same note: does Nintendo plan to sell other NES games for the mini-NES beyond the 30 it comes preloaded with?

No. The console is a standalone device, so it cannot connect to the internet or any external storage devices. The 30 games included with the system were chosen to provide a wide variety of top-quality, long-lasting game-play experiences.

Are there plans for other mini-consoles, like a mini-SNES or mini-N64?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Just because people have been asking: safe to say it can’t play old cartridges, right? (Based on the image it looks like an NES cartridge would have around the same width as the entire console.) Does it open up at all?

The console does not use physical media and therefore the Chamber Lid does not open.

http://kotaku.com/the-mini-nes-wont-open-cant-connect-to-the-internet-1783693116

In case you wondered, now you know.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

It's still a collection of some of the most memorable games you can get. Each game would be around 5+ by themselves, which would be equivalent to paying 150 bucks for the games on the eshop.

Gonna buy it regardless. Don't see how it isn't worth the money

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Wish they had also added Lost Levels, Mega Man 1, 3-6, Castlevania 3 and Zoda's Revenge for completeness sake but still this thing is awesome

For the chamber lid to open and play cartridge games would have made the $60 price tag a steal. I think this standalone system is great. The only issue I have because of my OCD is that the Mega Man installed should have been at least the first one. Then, they can go in order after that if a new NES Mini is announced for 2017.

A non-issue considering the quality of games included. Maybe they will release a mini-snes next year? :).

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Maybe they will release a mini-snes next year? :).

That shit better have Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Puppyroach said:
A non-issue considering the quality of games included. Maybe they will release a mini-snes next year? :).

If this does decent sales, 100% that it will happen.

Yeah... I'd rather add a real nes to my collection, which I will do at some point, in the meantime if I want to play nes games I'll just emulate them.

Here's the answer for you.

Licensing issues. :|

I'm really hoping for a SNES, GBA and N64 version.