By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony on Neo announcement: "We didn't want to just rattle of a list of specs" + PSVR update

While Microsoft had a strong showing at E3 and announced Project Scorpio on top of everything else, many continue to wonder why Sony confirmed the PS4 Neo’s existence but didn’t show it. Jim Ryan, Sony Europe’s boss of PlayStation, weighed in on the same with GameReactor and noted that the company didn’t want to dilute its presser with hardware announcements.

“Two reasons, first of all, like I said, we need to keep these things to a manageable time. We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016 and 2017 and beyond on PS4 and PlayStation VR. We didn’t want to dilute it or distract it by hardware related announcements.

“But more importantly we feel it’s important that when you make this sort of announcement that you don’t just trod off a list of specifications and this and that, but that you actually demonstrate what a device like Neo is capable of. And when we have the gaming applications to do that, the we’ll be ready and then we’ll show it.”

Ryan also took note of Project Scorpio being VR capable and comments by Microsoft that it would do it right. “My comment to that is go and check out PlayStation VR and join the 40 million people who already own the PlayStation 4 who will be able to enjoy a fantastic PlayStation VR experience. I’ve got absolutely no doubts about the quality of the VR experience that PlayStation VR offers to everybody that owns a PlayStation 4.”

That being said, don’t expect 40 million PlayStation VR owners at launch but Sony is working on meeting demand. “We have some pre-orders [numbers], but at the end of the day you never really know until you launch. It’s all speculation and matching of supply to demand. What I can say is that production is going very well, it’s entirely on track. We will have a proper PlayStation launch for PlayStation VR.

“We will, unlike other consoles, be launching in every major European market on the same day, October 13th, that we launch in Japan and North America. Very important for me to be able to do that. We will have significant amounts of inventory, we’ll have inventory in stores, we’ll have inventory to fulfill pre-orders. Whether that’s enough, honestly I don’t know, but it will be a proper PlayStation launch.”

PlayStation VR is out in October 13th while PS4 Neo is still apparently coming out this year.

Read more at http://gamingbolt.com/ps4-neo-not-at-e3-due-to-game-announcements-ps-vr-production-going-very-well#iZtxiE3ZzzSPaY6P.99

Some harsh words there. Both about the Neo and in response to MS statement about VR. It certainly means that Sony is going to really have to bring it when they announce the Neo.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

"We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016"

I don't think there were many punches pulled there.

The PS5 Exists. 

jason1637 said:

"We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016"

The actual quote is:

'We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016 and 2017 and beyond' And there were lots of games announced for 2016, or are you forgetting PSVR?

The PS5 Exists. 

Scorpio was shown prematurely and unnecessarily. All we got from it was 6 Terraflops. They jumped the gun with Scorpio. They should have just let the One S take the spotlight for the rest of the year.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Well not wrong.

Scorpio announcement was junk with nothing but '6 teraflops' to show for it.

Yeah, they didn't show anything or even talk about much that was actually concrete. It certainly was more sizzle than steak.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

"that you actually demonstrate what a device like Neo is capable of"

Isn't it just a more powerful PS4?

Ljink96 said:
Scorpio was shown prematurely and unnecessarily. All we got from it was 6 Terraflops. They jumped the gun with Scorpio. They should have just let the One S take the spotlight for the rest of the year.

Completely agree.  I mean, I understand why they did it, since Neo is supposed to come out this year.  They didn't want the Neo to launch with no challenger, they basically wanted to jump around and be like, "Hey, guys, don't forget about us, we have an upgraded console (coming next year), too."  That and maybe say 6 Tflops, so if Sony announces a 5.5 Tflops Neo, MS can boast about having the more powerful console.  Granted it won't have any actual exclusives like the PS4 family, but it's something. 

However, announcing this early, not only takes some of the wind out of the Slim's sails, but just makes the wait for the console seem overly long.  And if Amazon is anything to go by, there was an instant boost to XBO sales, but after that the Slim started fading.  It's only #58 in the hourly bestsellers and #62 in the monthly, currently.  And for only $50 more than the OG PS4, but comes with a 2TB HDD, UHD Blu-ray player, and supposedly can upscale games to 4K, it's really a steal.  I don't think the Scorpio or no exclusives thing is helping the Slim.

KLAMarine said:
"that you actually demonstrate what a device like Neo is capable of"

Isn't it just a more powerful PS4?

Yes, but they want to actually have a few games supporting Neo mode to show off when they announce it.  I'm kinda wondering if the supposed Red Dead 3 that was pulled from E3 was to show off this mode, but it wasn't ready, yet.

GribbleGrunger said:
jason1637 said:

The actual quote is:

'We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016 and 2017 and beyond' And there were lots of games announced for 2016, or are you forgetting PSVR?

Oh i didn't know they included PSVR. That makes more sense. 

Bandorr said:
jason1637 said:

"We had all these games and we really wanted to focus on the games coming in 2016" and 2017 and beyond on PS4 and PlayStation VR

There I added the part you missed. I'm sure you just missed it, and weren't intenting to actually bait or antagonize people.

I didn't add the last part because i was focusing on one of there main things they were focusing on during E3 which were the 2016 games. I also forgot they were including PSVR and thought they were strictly speaking about PS4 games they showed launching this year.

They were dead right to do it. Well played Sony.