By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that were harmed/ruined for you by controls, input devices, button configuration, etc.

Tried to play gta3 and vice city on ps4.... no dual analog controls, terrible aiming and camera ugh.

Around the Network

Donkey Kong Country Returns. Who greenlit waggling for a precison platformer? I think it's reason behind Retro ignoring the Wii U gamepad in Tropical Freeze.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Ocarina of Time's control scheme was absolutely terrible. Of course I played it much later than it was originally released, but there were so many times I just wished I could use a right analog stick. To be honest, this applies to many Nintendo games. I don't know why Nintendo absolutely loathes the right analog stick so much (the N64 controller lacked one, the C-stick was weird, the Wii used waggle controls instead of a right analog stick, and the Wii U has a right analog stick, but Nintendo feels like gyroscopic controls are the way of the future). And that's just consoles. The New 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld to have a right analog stick, and it's basically a c-stick. I know this seems like a minor thing to gripe on, but I feel like I would enjoy Nintendo games so much more if they just controlled normally.

Beyond that, I can't really think of too many games. The shitty camera in the original Dark Souls definitely made certain bosses (looking at you, Centipede Demon) be much more irritating than they should have been. Oh, and I first tried to play Dark Souls on PC without knowing about DSfix. That's the real Dark Souls experience.

Super Mario Galaxy. The waggle and starbit collecting was too much for me.

While there were many great/fun games on Wii, there were also several developers who simply did not know how to do motion controls, and/or several games that had them needlessly tacked on as the ONLY control option, thus watering down or even ruining the gameplay experience.

Some examples (just in my own experience) include:

Red Steel 1
Elebits
Soul Caliber Legends
Godzilla Unleashed
Sonic & the Secret Rings
Sonic & Mario Olympics
Dewey's Adventure

And most prominently, Skyward Sword (swordplay was fine, tilting for menus, aiming, swimming, etc., was not)

There are plenty of other examples, I'm sure, but those are games I either owned or rented on Wii that stood out for being lessened or outright ruined by bad motion controls.

Around the Network
IkePoR said:
Donkey Kong Country Returns. Who greenlit waggling for a precison platformer? I think it's reason behind Retro ignoring the Wii U gamepad in Tropical Freeze.

It was actually Miyamoto who suggested both the shaking for rolls and the silly "blowing" mechanic.

Skyward Sword and motion controls.. had to recalibrate it every time I go into a fight sequence or something

The remote doesn't sense my swing properly, so even when I swing diagonal, it registers as a vertical or horizontal swipe, meaning I will be punished by enemies like Ghirahnim (or however you spell his name)

So I couldn't beat boss rush, but the game is still fun

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Super Smash Bros. 3DS! Oh how I raged when the circle pad caused me to input a side-B instead of an Up-B off the stage.

Oh and I couldn't bother with The Wonderful 101 when I had to try 5-6 times to do the shapes I wanted. 

Signature goes here!

DevilRising said:

IkePoR said:

It was actually Miyamoto who suggested both the shaking for rolls and the silly "blowing" mechanic.

It was actually Miyamoto who suggested

It was actually Miyamoto

Miyamoto

Miyamoto

Miyamoto

Of

course

it 

was

him.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

The two that come to mind first are Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks on the DS. Both games are pretty good but because of the forced touch controls, they rank near the bottom of the series for me. Skyward Sword to a certain degree as well with the motion controls but not as much.