By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. July bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Swordmasterman said:

I think that people don't know the word "lazy" here on this site. Microsoft is sending all their games for the PC, killing future sales, they also should not have announced Scorpio 18 months from release. And only because make several price drops this is trying hard to sell their product ? Only because a company is in dispair this does not means that the Market Leader need to sell their console for less than a PS2.

Microsoft should have stayed like Nintendo, selling the console at a higher profit margin. What is the deal to push Xbox One's sales when you will focus on Slim and Scorpio ?.

If Xbox One continue droping the price, there will be no lower price left for the next year.

The problem is, when MS manage to win an NPD using this tactic people are going to think it's a possitive thing. All it does is devalue the console market and create huge slumps in the run up to Christmas.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

You could also look at it from the perspective that Microsoft is aggressively pricing its console because the console market has already devalued due its staleness in software offerings.

Or put another way, if Microsoft didn't sell the Xbox One at low prices, it would be a huge slump for them outside of the holiday period. That alternative would be worse for them, so that's why they are doing what they are doing.

What stalenesss in software offerings?

The PS5 Exists. 

RolStoppable said:

Limited variety in genres, lots of yearly releases. When the top console can't regularly sell over 200k units in non-holiday months despite less fierce competition than in previous gens, then something has to be responsible for that.

Which console do you own?

The PS5 Exists. 

RolStoppable said:

Wii U, but that doesn't change any of the numbers.

The PS4 has had lots of AAA titles, lots of Indie titles and lots of variety. Not sure about the WiiU though, although I can't recall updating the software with WiiU titles much. Sony are still selling as expected so I'm really not sure what you're getting at. MS are struggling to keep up with Sony and so have had to throw money away in order to shift excess stock.

The PS5 Exists. 

Microsoft are slashing the price of the XB1 because they want to clear stock for the S next month. They aren't doing this for the W in one month of NPD when no one even shares numbers publicly anymore.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Around the Network
Welfare said:
Microsoft are slashing the price of the XB1 because they want to clear stock for the S next month. They aren't doing this for the W in one month of NPD when no one even shares numbers publicly anymore.

Are you telling me MS don't know those numbers will be leaked? Come on, man. Anyway, that's besides the point. It's clear that MS stuffed the channels. When Sony finally drop the price of the PS4 to clear the channels ready for the Slim and perhaps the Neo, they won't need to be so desparate because they won't have so much stock sitting at the retailers.

RolStoppable said:

What I am getting at is that monthly home console sales this gen are worse than in the sixth gen. We don't even need to talk about the seventh gen because such a comparison would be incredibly lopsided in the seventh gen's favor. The point is that the home console market had already been devalued before Microsoft started with all their deals. Like you say, Microsoft is struggling to keep up. That's despite Nintendo being pretty much a non-factor and Sony not setting the charts on fire (monthly PS4 sales in the USA are merely solid when compared against historical data). There's less interest in home consoles than in the past in general, hence why Microsoft has had to offer so many deals to achieve at least somewhat acceptable numbers.

Your initial post was about your worries that Microsoft's actions could devalue the console market. What I am saying is that the console market had already devalued before Microsoft started with their deals, and therefore the deals were a consequence of a devalued market. It's not like Microsoft had a choice, unless they had been fine with Sony pulling far ahead of them.

Although when I look over the flow of this conversation again, the main issue you had was that I said something about stale software. That's because the most obvious explanation for decreasing console sales is less interesting software.

'Overall', I can't deny that the console market has shrunk but I don't think it's as straight forwards as it looks. I think there are fewer multiconsole owners at the moment and that could be easily rectified.

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:
Welfare said:

Are you telling me MS don't know those numbers will be leaked? Come on, man. Anyway, that's besides the point. It's clear that MS stuffed the channels. When Sony finally drop the price of the PS4 to clear the channels ready for the Slim and perhaps the Neo, they won't need to be so desparate because they won't have so much stock sitting at the retailers.

They are not slashing prices so that nerds like us can discuss their numbers. Yeah, they have a lot of stock, that's why they are dropping the price before the S comes out. They are going to announce the release date of the 500GB and 1TB S models this week, and if those are in late August, then sales of the fat model will drop. Retailers want those gone before all the S models.

And Sony wouldn't need to clear PS4 stock for the Neo since they are meant to be sold side by side. The S will completely replace all the fat bundles.

Won bet with t3mporary_126 - I correctly predicted that the Wii U's LTD at the end of 2014 would be closer to 9 million than 10 million. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6673287

Welfare said:

They are not slashing prices so that nerds like us can discuss their numbers. Yeah, they have a lot of stock, that's why they are dropping the price before the S comes out. They are going to announce the release date of the 500GB and 1TB S models this week, and if those are in late August, then sales of the fat model will drop. Retailers want those gone before all the S models.

And Sony wouldn't need to clear PS4 stock for the Neo since they are meant to be sold side by side. The S will completely replace all the fat bundles.

Of course they're not cutting prices so nerds like us can discuss numbers, that's not what I'm saying, but of course they know the numbers will leak and it doesn't do them any harm if they can win an NPD or two. It's just the side affect of stuffing the channels and having to slash prices to make way for the Slim. It's not the best thing to do though. People are now expecting MS to cut prices or offer ridiculous deals towards Christmas and MS are only cementing that perception by focusing all of their top franchises on the Christmas period. Meanwhile, Sony spread their exclusives out over the full year. This is the first year for the slim and it's likely to do well but once we hit 2017 that problem will continue and MS will then have to start offering incentives again. It devalues their console business and could devalue the whole console business if they get too aggressive with it. This is why Sony are quiet and why they don't suddenly counter MS with deals or price drops of their own. It's not out of the question that Sony could 'react' at some point but as of now they're just sticking to their plan. They've projected 22m for the fiscal year and so it's clear something makes them confident in hitting the target.

The PS5 Exists. 

4 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#13 XB1s-2gb (up 1)*
#22 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle (up 2)
#45 XB1s-2tb Gears Bundle (down 2)*
#47 PS4 Fool's Edition (same)
#51 XB1 NYG Bundle (up 29)
#58 N3DSXL Black (up 6)
#59 XB1 3 Game Bundle (up 18)
#78 N3DSXL Red (down 17)
#95 Vita (down 3)