By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft Ships 1 Million Xbox One Elite Controllers

yo_john117 said:

The build quality on the Elite controllers are exceptional so no, 250k warranty replacements isn't even remotely reasonable.

Anyways I can't say I'm surprised by the numbers since the Elite controller is pretty incredible. No other controller I've used comes close to how good the Elite controller is.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-hardware-accessories/suggestions/8556751-1-year-warranty-included-for-elite-controllers

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-hardware-accessories/suggestions/6969736-extend-the-warranty-on-on-xbox-one-controllers-fro

The thing is, there HAS been tons of articles and forum posts about these faulty controllers. Why would that be a topic of discussion here when most of the fanbase leans on Sony and Nintendo platforms, and those that are Xbox faithful have the kind of attitudes you guys have? A simple google search yields pages of Reddit and Xbox forum posts from people complaining about their elite controllers being sub par in quality and having issues early on after purchase. So, that's what I'm basing this off of. Read the second link I cited, first comment down. Dude went through three elite controllers all within the warranty period.

The second link is for regular Xbox One controllers (which I agree has/had issues). If you Google, the fail-rate for really any device you'll find loads of problems and forum threads. But just because you find those doesn't mean that the device has huge fail rates.

Quite simply if the fail rate of the Elite controller (or even regular controller) was anywhere close to 25% it would be a similar situation to the RROD fiasco with the 360. As of right now, it's not. However, if that changed, then I am fully capable of admitting that I was wrong; as it stands though, I just don't buy it.

Another assumption you seem to make is that the majority of repairs would simply be full replacements when in fact, that is usually not true. A large portion of the problems can be fixed by replacing buttons, sensors, thumbstick bases, IE: by replacing parts, not making a whole new controller.

To your credit though it is really hard to make any sort of reasonable estimate as far as warranty replacements is concerned (which is why I won't bother to estimate that, because whatever I estimate could realistically be many hundreds of percent off). As far as how many on shelves/warehouse? I can't say with any amount of certainty, but as a wild guess, maybe 50-100k? I know a few months ago, the Elite controllers weren't being made quick enough to keep up with demand, not sure about right now though.

What I can say with certainty is that the Elite Controller is selling well and seems to be quite a success.

Around the Network
aLkaLiNE said:

And if I'm being unreasonable I'd love to hear some estimates from you guys on:
- how many controllers you estimate are on shelves in stores
- how many controllers were made solely for warranty replacement
- how many controllers are still at the warehouse

the only concrete info we have is: we have reached 1 million controllers made.

That's the only concrete news we have. The rest is just speculation.

All you showed was xbox uservoice where people post complaints/issues with Xbox hardware and services, out of "tons" of articles you claimed. I can pull up a website where a lot of customers post issues about hardwares/services and still doesn't invalidate the quality of the product.

I have an elite controller. I can talk about its quality and see posts of users that are as happy as me as well. And of course there'll be defective units, even German engineered cars have defects.

yo_john117 said:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-hardware-accessories/suggestions/8556751-1-year-warranty-included-for-elite-controllers

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/251650-console-hardware-accessories/suggestions/6969736-extend-the-warranty-on-on-xbox-one-controllers-fro

The thing is, there HAS been tons of articles and forum posts about these faulty controllers. Why would that be a topic of discussion here when most of the fanbase leans on Sony and Nintendo platforms, and those that are Xbox faithful have the kind of attitudes you guys have? A simple google search yields pages of Reddit and Xbox forum posts from people complaining about their elite controllers being sub par in quality and having issues early on after purchase. So, that's what I'm basing this off of. Read the second link I cited, first comment down. Dude went through three elite controllers all within the warranty period.

The second link is for regular Xbox One controllers (which I agree has/had issues). If you Google, the fail-rate for really any device you'll find loads of problems and forum threads. But just because you find those doesn't mean that the device has huge fail rates.

Quite simply if the fail rate of the Elite controller (or even regular controller) was anywhere close to 25% it would be a similar situation to the RROD fiasco with the 360. As of right now, it's not. However, if that changed, then I am fully capable of admitting that I was wrong; as it stands though, I just don't buy it.

Another assumption you seem to make is that the majority of repairs would simply be full replacements when in fact, that is usually not true. A large portion of the problems can be fixed by replacing buttons, sensors, thumbstick bases, IE: by replacing parts, not making a whole new controller.

To your credit though it is really hard to make any sort of reasonable estimate as far as warranty replacements is concerned (which is why I won't bother to estimate that, because whatever I estimate could realistically be many hundreds of percent off). As far as how many on shelves/warehouse? I can't say with any amount of certainty, but as a wild guess, maybe 50-100k? I know a few months ago, the Elite controllers weren't being made quick enough to keep up with demand, not sure about right now though.

What I can say with certainty is that the Elite Controller is selling well and seems to be quite a success.

Then you didn't read through the link because half the users are complaining about elite controller issues.

And like I said, a quick Google search WILL lead to tons of topics about these controllers. Do I really need to start listing some off? (This is in response not to you but to someone who quoted me)

I also do think that MS replaces controllers with new ones from warranty, fixes the broken ones and resells them refurbished on the marketplace. At least that's what I'd assume. So you're right on that.

And really? RRoD was a much more widespread problem than that, the failure rates of the Og 360 was way higher than 25%. As well, something like that is a much bigger deal considering people had to drop over twice as much cash on that console, vs these controllers - I can't find any of the original white 360s left today that haven't had a repair at some point. I went through three of them personally which were all replaced under Ms warranty. That's sidestepping the discussion at hand though, 

aLkaLiNE said:
Goatseye said:

240k faulty controllers? Bro, that's a lot. If one in four Elite controllers were defective, these controller wouldn't be as popular as they are.

Libara said:

If a quarter of those broke within warranty period, there would have been articles about it, and it definitely would have made multiple threads on this site... im guessing 10+.

yo_john117 said:

The build quality on the Elite controllers are exceptional so no, 250k warranty replacements isn't even remotely reasonable.

Anyways I can't say I'm surprised by the numbers since the Elite controller is pretty incredible. No other controller I've used comes close to how good the Elite controller is.

What does that even mean?

Goatseye said:
aLkaLiNE said:

And if I'm being unreasonable I'd love to hear some estimates from you guys on:
- how many controllers you estimate are on shelves in stores
- how many controllers were made solely for warranty replacement
- how many controllers are still at the warehouse

the only concrete info we have is: we have reached 1 million controllers made.

All you showed was xbox uservoice where people post complaints/issues with Xbox hardware and services, out of "tons" of articles you claimed. I can pull up a website where a lot of customers post issues about hardwares/services and still doesn't invalidate the quality of the product.

I have an elite controller. I can talk about its quality and see posts of users that are as happy as me as well. And of course there'll be defective units, even German engineered cars have defects.

There are tons, go look for yourself. I feel like I shouldn't have to iterate my point that much and it seems kind of silly to spam a thread with links proving that there's a large pool of people who are having issues.

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
aLkaLiNE said:

It means that people who align themselves with a certain brand are generally more reluctant to receive criticism toward said brand than with other brands. An ideology that isn't exclusive to any of the big threes fanbase.

aLkaLiNE said:
Goatseye said:

There are tons, go look for yourself. I feel like I shouldn't have to iterate my point that much and it seems kind of silly to spam a thread with links proving that there's a large pool of people who are having issues.

Ok, I'll look for those tons?

aLkaLiNE said:
Goatseye said:

It means that people who align themselves with a certain brand are generally more reluctant to receive criticism toward said brand than with other brands. An ideology that isn't exclusive to any of the big threes fanbase.

It sounded like you were limiting that reluctancy only to Xbox fanbase. My mistake then for misinterpreting your words.

And Xbox fanbase doesn't bother much with bad news because that's mostly what we read here.For example,  One million Elite controllers was supposed to be a success story here but immidiately it was made into a sales thread and the quality of the product was called into question.

Goatseye said:
aLkaLiNE said:

It sounded like you were limiting that reluctancy only to Xbox fanbase. My mistake then for misinterpreting your words.

And Xbox fanbase doesn't bother much with bad news because that's mostly what we read here.For example,  One million Elite controllers was supposed to be a success story here but immidiately it was made into a sales thread and the quality of the product was called into question.

That's because Spencer tweeted one thing, yet the message gets contorted through various media outlets reporting on it, and we end up with a thread that's incorrectly titled and potentially misleading to the readers here. I brought into call his tweet, and then used my own references and basic reasoning to dispute how there couldn't be 1 million controllers shipped yet. Nothing more and nothing less. The quality of the controllers wouldn't be mentioned if I didn't think that I had a strong point in saying there was bound to be warranty replacements (well obviously) which would detract from the total amount of controllers shipped.

if it means anything, I wish PlayStation had a pro controller.

aLkaLiNE said:
Goatseye said:

That's because Spencer tweeted one thing, yet the message gets contorted through various media outlets reporting on it, and we end up with a thread that's incorrectly titled and potentially misleading to the readers here. I brought into call his tweet, and then used my own references and basic reasoning to dispute how there couldn't be 1 million controllers shipped yet. Nothing more and nothing less. The quality of the controllers wouldn't be mentioned if I didn't think that I had a strong point in saying there was bound to be warranty replacements (well obviously) which would detract from the total amount of controllers shipped.

if it means anything, I wish PlayStation had a pro controller.

Well Sony already patented for a similar type of controller.

I think this thread was made mostly out of happiness for the success of Elite controller. As a owner of one, I hope this means MS will make more premium peripheries so we can have more choices. You should try one out and see how different it feels.