By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: "Wii U would continue to fight on, but only Zelda is coming next year"

I'm just glad BotW is still being released on Wii U. But this is unfortunate but not too surprising news.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Nem said:

You say thats not true like the whole post isn't true, wich is not true. Yeah, some developers may get royalties. But that is done in a case per case basis, and it really isn't that significant in the grand scheme. Workers will get payed some extra. From a team of 100 at best. Covered by a few thousand sales i'm sure.

Publishers get a lion share. They are far from beeing victims.

I did not say it like the "whole post isn't true".  I bolded the part I to which I was replying.  You posted a blanket statement ("Second, the developer gets nothing. They have been payed by the publisher already for their work hours.") and I said that often isn't the case.  It's as simple as that.  If you didn't mean that as a blanket statement then, by all means, clarify.  I can only respond to what you've posted.

Also, I would like some souces for why developer bonuses aren't "significant in the grand scheme" or your "covered in a few thousand sales" comment.  What are you basing this off?  That doesn't really make much sense, as royalties keep building as long as the game generates revenue.  

Yes, it's a case by case basis.  That's the point and why a general statement like "the developer gets nothing" has no real value.  

No idea what you're talking about with the publishers not being victims comment, as I said nothing like that at all.

As far as i know this isnt like Actors. They get a premium if the game reaches X ammount of sales, but they don't get paid a share per copy sold. The workers i mean. If its an independant developer it depends more on the contract between the companies.

sounds like they have a great plan for the wii U in 2016/17

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

CarcharodonKraz said:

keep in mind how unlikely it is that 100 people were working on it for the entirety of tose 5 years.  Doubt conept and creative process are done by all 100.  That would be a flustercluck.  Also, @mtallox, 2million just to be profitable is not necessarily tiny.  They'll be in the red until that 2millth copy is sold.  Think of how pathetic it would be to be to spend 80mill (rough calculation) just to make lets say 3mill.   right?  @wombat, i really hope this does speed up their dev time.  That could be huge for them if say we get a new console kid icarus title with similarities to this zelda title.

A kid Icarus game using this engine that had flying and shooting elements would be awesome.

Wright said:

So there's like...two retail games left for WiiU, expanded across almost a whole year?

I mean, there probably will be some eShop games here and there in the middle but...oh, man. Nintendo is seriously encouraging people here to go play on a different console.

Yeah, Nintendo has likely lost a lot of gamers over the last year, and from the looks of it, they're going to keep bleeding for the next 9 months. They did this with the Wii as well; by the time Wii U came out, people were sick of waiting with nothing to play, and had migrated to other platforms. Likewise, a lot of Wii U owners are just going to get tired of being held out on, switch to Playstation/Xbox, and not look back.

By contrast, look at how Sony handled the PS3's closing years; it got plenty of support right up to and even after its replacement. As a result, they went into the PS4 with a strong positive momentum.

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is one game more that Nintendo releases on the nintendo Wii U than Sony releases for the PlayStation Vita :D

Hiku said:
Miyamotoo said:

Offcourse that gross profit is not $60, but only $27 for 1st party game and reatilers cut of 20%!? I think that isnt true at all, I think Nintendo making around $35-40 gross for evre sold phisical cope of $60 game, not to mentione that good number of Nintendo sales are now digital sales, around 20-30% and thats basicly 100% gross profit for evre digital sold game. IMO Zelda cost Nintendo closer to $100m not to $60m.

Well the articles I've checked claim 20% to retailer, so I'd asume the general number is around there.

Either way, I just want to make it clear that the 60 figure is far from what they profit from each sold retail copy. Digital sales however are a much different story.

I agree that $60 is far from profit for sold physical copy of game, but Nintendo definitely doesn't have only $27 of profit for their $60 physical games.

Wright said:
Miyamotoo said:

Or you can hardly find person that has only Wii U.

All I said is Nintendo is encouraging people to go play on a different console. Whether they already own them or have only a WiiU is irrelevant.

Wii U is dead all people (including Wii U owners) very aware of that, they are also very aware that NX is coming in 8 months. 8 months is not long period if you know new console is ariwing and when definitely huge majority of Wii U owners have different platforms to play in meantime.

Nintendo basically doing same thing like always, evre their home console is almost completely dead one year before new one arrives, this isn't nothing new.

twintail said:
Metallox said:

Breath of the Wild will be profitable once the game sells more than 2 million units, which is odd, because it sounds like a tiny quantity for the most ambitious Nintendo game of all time.

Doesn't count the game engine (most likely) , nor marketing, nor distribution.

I am pretty sure they count game engine because engine is one of biggest part of new game from development view.

Most likely scenario that Zelda engine will be used for some other games does not change anything because they had cost for that engine that is made for new Zelda, so they definitely including cost of new engine for Zelda cost.

CosmicSex said:
Einsam_Delphin said:

So it's finally official, Color Splash is the last Wii U game announcement. Talk about going out in flames!

Also the crazy idea some people had where Nintendo would support two HD consoles at once is debunked as well.

lol...

What?