By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Can you imagine a world without any religion?

FIT_Gamer said:
Mr_No said:

Yet you are calling millions and millions of people weak minded with a crutch because they have different beliefs than yours. That's pretty accurate, no?

Not becuase their beleifs are different, because their beliefs are illogical. People look to God hold them up, give them strenght, crutch. 

So because millions believe in God, automatically they're all using God as a crutch because you believe religion is illogical? Because it's wrong when someone does the opposite. Besides, if some people do take God as a crutch, what's the problem with it? Are they doing wrong? Are they being a nuisance to society? Are they impeding you doing something productive? No? Then let them be, don't chastize them because you think they're wrong.

Around the Network
Aielyn said:
Lawlight said:

At least we wouldn't have fanatics trying to turn Australia into an islamic state.

Why separate out the Islamic fanatics?

Christensen, Bernardi, Fred Nile, and the like want to turn Australia into a theocracy, too.

Maybe because that's the only religion causing terrorist attacks in Australia? No idea who those people you listed are.

A world without religion is a world without Reverand Lovejoy, and I'm not sure I want to live in that world.

Lawlight said:
Aielyn said:

Why separate out the Islamic fanatics?

Christensen, Bernardi, Fred Nile, and the like want to turn Australia into a theocracy, too.

Maybe because that's the only religion causing terrorist attacks in Australia? No idea who those people you listed are.

No, it's really not. You just ignore the ones that aren't by that one particular kind of terrorist.

Look up Peter James Knight, Peter Joseph van Tongeren, the Canning Mosque Shooting, to name but a few cases.

And you don't recognise the names I listed? Christensen and Bernardi are part of the current government's party - Cory Bernardi is a Liberal senator for South Australia, and wants to basically impose Christian law on the nation - to be clear, I mean laws like the man is the head of the household, etc. George Christensen is the Liberal MP for the seat of Dawson, and is a racist, homophobic, antisemitic, anti-islamic, misogynistic, anti-environment "christian" who wants corporal punishment for drug traffickers, the return of the death penalty (presumably to be used on gay people, mostly), and the complete divestment from any renewable energies because climate change is clearly nonsense and god is in control of the climate.

And Fred Nile is the leader of the Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group) - and yes, the bracketed part is part of the name. Look into them. Fred Nile himself is an MP in the NSW government.

If you want to make politically-charged claims about Australia, you should probably know about Australia politics.

Leadified said:
Overall religion is a side effect of people having ideas and beliefs about the world around us, so I find it difficult to imagine a world where such a thing does not exist. Even if the world religions die off, I still think the idea of religion will continue to live on in other forms such as civil religion.

So, no.

Isn't it better to state that religion came from humans wanting to explain things but didn't have the scientific mind to comprehend what was happening (such as the sun and moon became gods (or were created by a god) because they didn't know how to explain it rising and falling every day).  It was used as an easy excuse.  Why does that happen?  Because it is God or God made it that way (after that not many would follow up with question like why did god make it that way or how is the sun really a god, etc...).  I look at religion as an easy way of explaining a complex world.  It is also another way to control the masses.

Around the Network

Shulk's feeling it.

Aielyn said:
Lawlight said:

No, it's really not. You just ignore the ones that aren't by that one particular kind of terrorist.

Look up Peter James Knight, Peter Joseph van Tongeren, the Canning Mosque Shooting, to name but a few cases.

And you don't recognise the names I listed? Christensen and Bernardi are part of the current government's party - Cory Bernardi is a Liberal senator for South Australia, and wants to basically impose Christian law on the nation - to be clear, I mean laws like the man is the head of the household, etc. George Christensen is the Liberal MP for the seat of Dawson, and is a racist, homophobic, antisemitic, anti-islamic, misogynistic, anti-environment "christian" who wants corporal punishment for drug traffickers, the return of the death penalty (presumably to be used on gay people, mostly), and the complete divestment from any renewable energies because climate change is clearly nonsense and god is in control of the climate.

And Fred Nile is the leader of the Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group) - and yes, the bracketed part is part of the name. Look into them. Fred Nile himself is an MP in the NSW government.

If you want to make politically-charged claims about Australia, you should probably know about Australia politics.

No idea who these people are - probably because these things happened when I was a kid. And Canning Mosque Shooting. Why have I never heard of it? Sounds dramatic until you read the full story - 3 shots at the roof dome of a mosque at around midnight with the Turkish Islamic Association of WA saying "It is a serious thing, gun shots, but we believe it's not racial or something to do with our religion"

You really had to dig deep. Think of the number of people who've been arrested in Australia for links to Islamic terrorism. The others forms of terrorism pale in front of that. The 3 main acts of terrorism in the past 15 years in Australia have been due to islamist terrorists.

Lawlight said:
Aielyn said:

No idea who these people are - probably because these things happened when I was a kid. And Canning Mosque Shooting. Why have I never heard of it? Sounds dramatic until you read the full story - 3 shots at the roof dome of a mosque at around midnight with the Turkish Islamic Association of WA saying "It is a serious thing, gun shots, but we believe it's not racial or something to do with our religion"

You really had to dig deep. Think of the number of people who've been arrested in Australia for links to Islamic terrorism. The others forms of terrorism pale in front of that. The 3 main acts of terrorism in the past 15 years in Australia have been due to islamist terrorists.

I like how you minimise the Canning Mosque shooting, as though the fact that there were no deaths means it wasn't terrorism. The shooters were members of a well-known extremist group of neo-Nazis. If you're going to count a situation where a guy attacks some counter-terrorist people with a knife (with no casualty except for the guy who had the knife), surely firing weapons at people in a mosque would count just as much?

"3 main acts of terrorism". I'm not even sure what you're referring to. I'm guessing you're including the Lindt Cafe siege? That wasn't terrorism - that was a crazy guy. He had no "islamic" message, he wasn't trying to make some big political statement, he was merely deranged - and that's how EVERYONE who interacted with him described him. He wanted to talk to the Prime Minister, and he was well-known amongst Muslims for having some rather non-muslim views (as in, things forbidden in Islam).

There have been two acts of terrorism in the last 15 years. Both of them were committed by teens, acting pretty much alone. The total death toll is 5... of which 2 are the "terrorists". Real terrorist acts are bigger than that, and there are nearly 500,000 muslims in Australia. Two out of 500,000.

But then, let's get back to the point you were making. If it weren't for religion, what would have happened? Well, these two kids were clearly massively marginalised by society (because people who are happy with their situation don't attack people), thanks to people like you who demonise entire populations over the actions of two (or maybe three, if you count the Lindt cafe seige), had built up a resentment that was utilised by religious fanatics from outside the country. Do you honestly think anything would have changed, really, without Islam, or more generally without religion? I'd expect they'd just find a different violent ideology (equivalent to those of the fanatics) to latch onto.