By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Opinion: Gears 4 and Scalebound look amazing.

Machiavellian said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have to agree with BK on the Gears/The Order thing. A lot of things that game did wrong seem to be popping up in Gears: shooting galleries, scripted events, cinematic pretensions. It worries me. The shooting and cover mechanics look great - as always - but I'm concerned about gameplay being less tactical and more scripted, which is always bad. Anyway, I trust Fergusson so I hope it's not true. If Gears started copying cinematic shooters like Uncharted and The Order, I'd cry.

Actually there isn't anything wrong with any of the things The Order did within the game like Script Events, Cinematic presentations or shooting galleries.  It’s the fact that The Order was a unfinished game which was a problem in my book.  The Gears series already had those elements, the difference it never relied to heavily only any of those mechanics.

I think there's plenty wrong with those things. Scripted events chip away at player agency. Cinematic pretensions misunderstand what makes the video game medium special. And pop-up shooting galleries are shallow and boring.

The Order wasn't a failure because it was unfinished. It was a failure because Ready at Dawn valued story, presentation, and graphics over engaging gameplay.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think there's plenty wrong with those things. Scripted events chip away at player agency. Cinematic pretensions misunderstand what makes the video game medium special. And pop-up shooting galleries are shallow and boring.

The Order wasn't a failure because it was unfinished. It was a failure because Ready at Dawn valued story, presentation, and graphics over engaging gameplay.

And since when has Gears done that and why are you worried it would be the case with Gears of War 4? Because of 6min gameplay clip that looks like it might be a tutorial or something? There was passages like this in every previous Gears game also.

Imo scripted events, cinematics etc. are all good if you don't overdo it, they add to video game medium. What matters how it all plays as a whole, there should be no restrictions like you can't do this and you can't do that.

KiigelHeart said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

And since when has Gears done that and why are you worried it would be the case with Gears of War 4? Because of 6min gameplay clip that looks like it might be a tutorial or something? There was passages like this in every previous Gears game also.

Imo scripted events, cinematics etc. are all good if you don't overdo it, they add to video game medium. What matters how it all plays as a whole, there should be no restrictions like you can't do this and you can't do that.

I'm worried about that because 1) that's where the industry is headed and 2) the footage I've seen so far of Gears 4 looks to embrace some of those negative features.

I agree that a few short cut-scenes here and there can help texture the video game experience. Everything in moderation. 

Scalebound looks like a PG game alright.

DJEVOLVE said:
aLkaLiNE said:

This reads more like an advertisement than an opinion. Did you write all this yourself?

also my opinion: scale bound looks like crap but gears looks as good as ever. I'm more curious about Sea of Thieves though

yes I wrote this my self. I feel that these specific area's are what makes the game interesting with out going off on a 20 minute rant about every aspect of said game.  Scalebound has gained massive hype since E3 of 2015, hence why they pushed back it's release date until 2017. The game looks truly amazing with 4 player co-op. I can't wait for either.  We have had a lack of JRPG's unless you count Elder Scrolls etc, which I love those games but I want something closer to Final Fantasy but with better gameplay. The dragons open up a whole new dimension and I think they nailed it.

Scalebound isn't a JRPG, is more like a Hack & Slash with RPG and Petting elements, And I don't think that there will be any other JRPG that will surpass Final Fantasy.

Platinum is known by Devil May  Cry, Bayonetta, and more recently Teenagers Mutant Turtles and Nier, if there are any JRPG that will surpass Final Fantasy they are either Dragon Quest or Persona, or even Final Fantasy (Since they aways try to surpass what they did in the last game).

Around the Network

I'm not an Xbox 1 owner, but that doesn't matter anymore. :D I'm really looking forward to Gears 4, and Scalebound still looks decent to me, even though the latest gameplay was a bit underwhelming. It was just the very first boss, and probably on Easy mode. I'll probably pick it up once it drops to half price, if it reviews well(70+)

Gears looks great wnd a lot of fun. Scalebound Multiplayer looks sloppy but I'll most likely never plat it on Multiplayer so it should be good. The gameplay looks fun.

Opinion: Scalebound is mediocre and boring...

Gears4 is GeoW... nothing else... waiting for play it!

In Sony We Trust!

I don't know what the Scalebound and FF15 were trying to achieve by showing the massive boss game play. But, then again we're talking about about RPG game, that the fun comes from story and inventory management. I will wait for the metacritic on Scalebound before I ever consider getting the game.

Gears 4 looked amazing, more of the co-op goodness. I like the new weapons they shown and going back to 2 player co-op. 

Veknoid_Outcast said:
SWORDF1SH said:
I don't want to pick out this thread specifically but these "Opinion" threads and "reaction to another thread" threads needs to stop. Seriously where does this get us?

If you and the anti-gears thread that you reacted to really want to encourage a serious discussion about Gears and Scalebound this isn't the way to go about it.

I'm getting tired of these "opinion" threads that are either negative to cause trouble or a reaction thread being OTT positive to compensate for the negative thread.

Let's start writing threads that encourage opinions in a good way and accommodate different views instead of rubbing people up the wrong way.

Hear, hear!

I want to see healthy and civil debate. I don't want to see console partisans fire slings and arrows at each other.

But that game would have to be multiplat for both sides to fire their arrows!!  Maybe it will be the first console cross play game and rocket league will be forgotten.....

l <---- Do you mean this glitch Gribble?  If not, I'll keep looking.  

I am on the other side of my sig....am I warm or cold?  

Marco....