By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Opinion: Gears 4 and Scalebound look amazing.

I haven't watched the Scale bound video yet. No opinion on that game until I do. Gears is one of my favorite series and I've been hungry for a new o one for some time, now. It's a day one purchase and the game I'm most e excited for this year.

Around the Network

Yes, they look good.
My question is, if you put so much emphazis on graphics, why dont you go and watch a movie?
Point is, the game looks amazing, but from what i can see it it just plays like the other 3, nothing new, the same stale gameplay.

ScaleBound looks good? Wait, are we all looking at the same footage?

Lets start with Gears 4, Game environments seem to play a major role in enemy play and story progression. (i dont see how they do, and even when they did play a role with progressing, they were scripted events that will play out the same every time) The look and feel of the levels shown are intricate and show massive promise (intricate? no, they were very basic, small and linear pathways, with nothing comlpex or intricate about them really. please do explain to me how they were intricate) .. New enemies accompany the battle field with top notch graphics and new game play. (what new gameplay?)  The story twister ending with Marcus Pheonix just adds to anticipation.  Gears has always brought serious online gameplay with a unigue 3rd party play style. Rich / challenging enviroments and very addictive.

whats funny to me is that all the complaints people had about The Order 1886 seem to be present in Gears 4, and people seem to be praising them. Linear pathways, heavily scripted events, QTE's to interact with the enviroment, very little places to take cover, QTE's to melee. 

Scalebound looks to be an exciting online Co-op with a mystical world to explore with your friends...  Not only does it look fun,(thats the problem people are having with it, it just doesnt look fun) it's new concepts (what new concept?), gameplay (what new gameplay?)and beasts add to the growing need for a new AAA JRPG game to hit the mark.(come on man, i dont even play JRPG's and i know thats not true, you are just making stuff up) The games open enviroments are impressive, it's gameplay looks intense and growing interest looks to hit that mark. You will be able to choose different players, beasts, all accompanied by different skill sets, moves and battle schemes.

The problem with your "opinion" on scalebound is that you are making stuff up. what new concepts or gameplay are we talking about. we seen similar concepts before and we certainly seen A LOT of hack and slash games before. im not saying that because they arent completely new they are bad, then every game would be bad nowdays. but in your "opinion", instead of explaining why they are good, you say they are good because they are new, which is just false. 

the negative opinions about scalebound mostly accured after this E3's showing, where the gameplay shown in all honestly was OK at best. last year's gameplay section was better, and while people had different views on it, i think a lot would agree back then that it did indeed show promise, and that with more development time it could improve and be pretty good. but after another year of development, it just didnt live up to that promise and fell flat on its face. 

bananaking21 said:   

whats funny to me is that all the complaints people had about The Order 1886 seem to be present in Gears 4, and people seem to be praising them. Linear pathways, heavily scripted events, QTE's to interact with the enviroment, very little places to take cover, QTE's to melee. 

You're looking at this wrong, I'd understand if you'd find it funny that all that stuff people were praising about Gears of War 10 years ago was something to complain about with The Order 1886. I don't know why that's the case, apparently Gears of War does them right or something. Anyway, it's about time to stop with these The Order comparisons. Wounds that game caused should be healed by now, new games are being released all the time.

Around the Network

Both look like amazing console exclusives for xbox owners!

bananaking21 said:

Lets start with Gears 4, Game environments seem to play a major role in enemy play and story progression. (i dont see how they do, and even when they did play a role with progressing, they were scripted events that will play out the same every time) The look and feel of the levels shown are intricate and show massive promise (intricate? no, they were very basic, small and linear pathways, with nothing comlpex or intricate about them really. please do explain to me how they were intricate) .. New enemies accompany the battle field with top notch graphics and new game play. (what new gameplay?)  The story twister ending with Marcus Pheonix just adds to anticipation.  Gears has always brought serious online gameplay with a unigue 3rd party play style. Rich / challenging enviroments and very addictive.

Scalebound looks to be an exciting online Co-op with a mystical world to explore with your friends...  Not only does it look fun,(thats the problem people are having with it, it just doesnt look fun) it's new concepts (what new concept?), gameplay (what new gameplay?)and beasts add to the growing need for a new AAA JRPG game to hit the mark.(come on man, i dont even play JRPG's and i know thats not true, you are just making stuff up) The games open enviroments are impressive, it's gameplay looks intense and growing interest looks to hit that mark. You will be able to choose different players, beasts, all accompanied by different skill sets, moves and battle schemes.

The problem with your "opinion" on scalebound is that you are making stuff up. what new concepts or gameplay are we talking about. we seen similar concepts before and we certainly seen A LOT of hack and slash games before. im not saying that because they arent completely new they are bad, then every game would be bad nowdays. but in your "opinion", instead of explaining why they are good, you say they are good because they are new, which is just false. 

the negative opinions about scalebound mostly accured after this E3's showing, where the gameplay shown in all honestly was OK at best. last year's gameplay section was better, and while people had different views on it, i think a lot would agree back then that it did indeed show promise, and that with more development time it could improve and be pretty good. but after another year of development, it just didnt live up to that promise and fell flat on its face. 

I have to agree with BK on the Gears/The Order thing. A lot of things that game did wrong seem to be popping up in Gears: shooting galleries, scripted events, cinematic pretensions. It worries me. The shooting and cover mechanics look great - as always - but I'm concerned about gameplay being less tactical and more scripted, which is always bad. Anyway, I trust Fergusson so I hope it's not true. If Gears started copying cinematic shooters like Uncharted and The Order, I'd cry.

I believe we cannot go by a big boss battle to understand how good Scalebound will be. Big boss battles never really look that interesting if you ask me when watching them on video. Having 4 player co-op during this battle probably is a lot more fun then watching the action.

I will say that the game looks fine art wise but nothing special so far but then again we really have not seen a lot of the game or its Singleplayer. I am definitely waiting to I see more of this game and hoping Gamercon will show more environment, combat etc.

I've seen comments about Gears gameplay being stale or what have you. I've played ALOT of tps. Dark Void, Quantum Break, Uncharted, The Order, etc. It's one of my favorite genres. I didn't like Gears Judgment because of they messed up the pacing and the story was weak. The game still played like a dream.

Trash Gears 4 all you want. Attack the characters, the dialog, the graphics or whatever. One thing the series has always excelled in (in my opinion, of course) is how well it plays.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I have to agree with BK on the Gears/The Order thing. A lot of things that game did wrong seem to be popping up in Gears: shooting galleries, scripted events, cinematic pretensions. It worries me. The shooting and cover mechanics look great - as always - but I'm concerned about gameplay being less tactical and more scripted, which is always bad. Anyway, I trust Fergusson so I hope it's not true. If Gears started copying cinematic shooters like Uncharted and The Order, I'd cry.

Actually there isn't anything wrong with any of the things The Order did within the game like Script Events, Cinematic presentations or shooting galleries.  It’s the fact that The Order was a unfinished game which was a problem in my book.  The Gears series already had those elements, the difference it never relied to heavily only any of those mechanics.