By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Girl gamers - Overwatch: 17-Year-Old Female Pro Player Cleared of Cheating Accusations Following Live Demo

Probably didn't even check her dick. Amateurs.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I bet she's actually D.Va IRL! :O

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

She drank mountain dew too much! :|

QUAKECore89 said:
She drank mountain dew too much! :|

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

padib said:

There is a news story trending on facebook, about a 17 year-old korean chick who can kick some serious ass at Overwatch. Her name is Geguri, and apparently she was so good that two men vowed to quit competitive gaming if she was proven to not be cheating, because they couldn't believe it.

Ultimately she showed her skills live, and it was proven she was legit. The guys kept their word to quit the competitive scene, and that's how the story ends.

I know that I have personally gotten my ass handed to me by girl players on Smash bros U online, and have seen some videos of our own pwrlevelamy being awesome at Mario Maker.

I could never be of the opinion of the two boys who refused to accept that she was just good. I have seen girls really beat me hard at games, and am convinced they are just as good if not better at times than guys, even though games are more often played by guys in general.

At least they apologized.

First why does gender matter on videogames, playing a game is about reflexes and mental sharpness, its not a strength and conditioning thing, the gender has 0 impact. And second I believe the guys were doubting the overall level of her skills and not the fact that a woman could be so good, its likw they went "no one can be that good, that must be some sort of cheat".

Around the Network

First why does gender matter on videogames, playing a game is about reflexes and mental sharpness, it snot a strength and conditioning thing, the gender has 0 impact. And second I believe the guys were doubting the overall level of her skills and not the fact that a woman could be so good, its liek they wnet "no one can be that good, that must be some sort of cheat".

This is a well documented example of how gender in society, which videogames happen to be a part of, biases perception.

And age, gender, region, game, played a factor.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-korean-teenager-answers-her-pro-overwatch-accusers-with-live-demonstration-of-skills

padib said:
DakonBlackblade said:

First why does gender matter on videogames, playing a game is about reflexes and mental sharpness, it snot a strength and conditioning thing, the gender has 0 impact. And second I believe the guys were doubting the overall level of her skills and not the fact that a woman could be so good, its liek they wnet "no one can be that good, that must be some sort of cheat".

You seem upset. Hey, we're on vgchartz. Someone's gotta get upset about something.

It's just something fun to think about. Since I grew up, most girls in my close circle didn't play much, and when they did, they weren't very good.

Now there are less girls than boys playing games, even online, but those that are online seem to be very good.

I don't know if they doubted the player based on her gender or not, but the fact that she's a girl and is almost unbelievably good is a cool thing.

You saying people on VChartz always get upset at everything upsets me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

No proof they doubted her because of her gender. Hate when people assume that and talk like women should be above any criticism or doubt.

Get over it

celador said:
No proof they doubted her because of her gender. Hate when people assume that and talk like women should be above any criticism or doubt.

Get over it

I don't know about where you are from but the stereotype that existed when I was growing up was that females sucked at all things sports and video games.  So naturally, any time a girl in the neighborhood was good at either she was accused of cheating.  Instantly.  Could very well be the same situation here.  The people reporting might've known she was female and thought "plays too much like a good dude, must be a cheater."  Doesn't make it right, but also doesn't warrant assumptions that it didn't have anything to do with it either.

padib said:

There is a news story trending on facebook, about a 17 year-old korean chick who can kick some serious ass at Overwatch. Her name is Geguri, and apparently she was so good that two men vowed to quit competitive gaming if she was proven to not be cheating, because they couldn't believe it.

Ultimately she showed her skills live, and it was proven she was legit. The guys kept their word to quit the competitive scene, and that's how the story ends.

I know that I have personally gotten my ass handed to me by girl players on Smash bros U online, and have seen some videos of our own pwrlevelamy being awesome at Mario Maker.

I could never be of the opinion of the two boys who refused to accept that she was just good. I have seen girls really beat me hard at games, and am convinced they are just as good if not better at times than guys, even though games are more often played by guys in general.

At least they apologized.

I think it's been proven that men have better reaction times. Not 100% positive on that but pretty sure. So it's not surprising that overall men would be better at video games. WIth that said there is always an exception to the rule.