By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Everyone will go back/go-to to a Nintendo platform at some point (Opinion)

No matter what your choice of platform is whether its a Xbox, PlayStation or a PC at some point you will end up grabbing a Nintendo console or handheld or you have already done so over the last couple of gens.

At some point you will get burnt out or just need a change of gaming for a number of reasons like

• The violence levels in modern games - When you look at the general scene especially in the AAA market of gaming the large majority of games are based on excessive blood/gore whether thats cutting poeple to bits, blowing heads off, gunning down everything you see,heck chainsawing someone for the first time on gears was great but now at times the violence levels in games can become more tiresome than anything else.
  • The amount of shooters releasing, Pretty much seems like every other game these days are shooters of some sort hey?
  • Overwhelming numbers of games becoming a "cinematic experience" taking the gameplay away and doing it for you.
  • Nostalgia - Yea you grew up playing on the NES,SNES or N64 days and will eventually find you way back.
  • Family - Looking to enjoy some gaming with your partner and kids, Other platforms don't really offer this and are more about solo/online gaming rather than family fun.
  • Loosing interest in gaming and need something to relight that gaming passion you once had, Buying a Nintendo platform will bring you back to the basics, Good old fashioned fun gaming.

It's basically my opinion that at some point you will get burnt out with the way modern gaming has become and be searching for a way back into really enjoying it and at some point you will take the punt on a Nintendo platform to bring back your passion for gaming whether that has already happened or is going to sometime in the future.

Could NX be the console where you go back? or take your first dip into a Nintendo console?

Perhaps you never owned a Nintendo platform before  and looked for a change and it brought you into Nintendo?

Or did you grow up with Nintendo and have found you way back onto a Nintendo platform already?

Looking forward to seeing some good opinions.

This is just my opinion and I'm not claiming it as fact.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
What's a shoort?

You're opinion is kind of wrong though. I buy Nintendo consoles sometimes, but not because I'm 'burnt out' or whatever. But instead because I just like Pokemon/Mario.

hah funny typo, Supposed to be Shooter :)

Do you not find that you buy the console for Mario/Pokemon when your a bit fed up with what you currenty been playing and need abit of a change? 

Mario & Zelda.... when Nintendo chooses to make good versions of both in a gen, things are as they should be.

The problem is we didnt get a "mario64 / galaxy" mario or a new Zelda game.

^ this is why the Wii U failed..... That and the gamepad limiting price options.

As each passing year goes, I get less and less interested in handhelds. I get that strange feeling of "I'd rather play this on console", and I get really bored of the platform. I dunno if it is because the small screen or whatever. So while I've been enjoying the ride on Nintendo's DS and 3DS, I think I'm pretty done with them.

So let's go to the home consoles, and I struggle to find them worth owning. I am just interested in very few games (referring exclusively to WIiU here, as I owned a Wii), and funnily enough most of the games I'd like to play contradict those core ideas of you (as reference, I want Fatal Frame, Devil's Third, Bayonetta 2 and Tokio Mirage Sessions). I don't think I'll ever be burn of modern videogame design, as I'm one of those who think the seventh gen truly shine as far as the industry goes and there were several standards there that I'd like to become a basic pillar in videogame design. That's not to say I don't enjoy trips to the past, which are certainly appreciated, but to say that we would go back to Nintendo consoles because of "nostalgia" and "violence levels" would highlight a Nintendo's problem of being stuck in the past, not on a satisfactory way, at least for me. I can enjoy nostalgic games, or those who lack any kind of violence altogether (like Flower), but I'd rather take my chances with consoles that offer both these new-age videogame design while acommodating place for old-school thingy, instead of getting stuck with the later but hardly offering the former.

your post is filled with so many inaccuracies its making me doubt you are even serious.

- violence in modern games.. so what? here is my rebuttal, so what? and lets be clear, not all modern games, heck a lot of them have no violence, and the some that do, whats wrong with that? why would it make me want to "go back to nintendo".

- so more games in a specific genre is bad? if you would actually pay attention to the amount of games releasing on xbox, PS and PC you would realize the variety is massive, and there are tons of all sorts of genre's, much more than on Nintendo systems.

- you have no idea what you are talking about if you think "cinematic" experiences are taking away gameplay from gamers. simply no idea.

- i grew up with SNES and N64 true, but the games Nintendo make today dont interest me one bit. i play games i want to play today, not games i wanted to play 20 years ago

- the only reason i would bother with a nintendo system (if they keep going down the route they are now) is if any future son/daughter wants one. doesnt mean i will actually be interested in the thing though.

- id lose interest in gaming if i was playing nintendo games, not the other way around buddy.

My opinion is that Nintendo doesnt make that great of games anymore. they cant match the talent found at the top class developers like Naughty Dog or Rockstar. in my opinion Nintendo are becoming the definition of overrated. and i dont see myself ever going back to them after the direction iwata, myamoto and riggie had dragged them through.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
Ka-pi96 said:
What's a shoort?

You're opinion is kind of wrong though. I buy Nintendo consoles sometimes, but not because I'm 'burnt out' or whatever. But instead because I just like Pokemon/Mario.

hah funny typo, Supposed to be Shooter :)

Do you not find that you buy the console for Mario/Pokemon when your a bit fed up with what you currenty been playing and need abit of a change? 

No, I buy Nintendo because I know that their AAA titles have some amazing gameplay behind them. But a couple of points you made are true. I sometimes enjoy their less edgy and violent approach. This holds up mostly ~5-10% of my gaming time, but I know I can always fall back on them. Never the less, I often wonder how would Nintendo quality feel if they would try out something like the Uncharted or Gears series.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

All those points are much better answered by indies than modern Nintendo games. They also seem extremely myopic to the point where it is no longer simple ignorance, but a sort of active ignorance you constantly need to reinforce and delude yourself with. You got to keep that next-gen ignorance locked up, any exposure to real world vanish it, expose it for the fantasy it is.

WoodenPints said:

• The violence levels in modern games.
    Because I am not allowed to buy a non violent game on my platform of choice?
  • The amount of shooters releasing, Pretty much seems like every other game these days are shooters of some sort hey?
    Agree however those 5% of games releasing every year that are non shooters are still more games than nintendo releases every year
  • Overwhelming numbers of games becoming a "cinematic experience" taking the gameplay away and doing it for you.
    Look at my answer above
  • Nostalgia - Yea you grew up playing on the NES,SNES or N64 days and will eventually find you way back.
    That is true. Unless you are european and grew up in the PS1 era. Then Nintendo holds no Value
  • Family - Looking to enjoy some gaming with your partner and kids, Other platforms don't really offer this and are more about solo/online gaming rather than family fun.
    Point for you. No Mario Kart outside of Nintendo and Sega doesn´t seem to care about all stars racing at this point
  • Loosing interest in gaming and need something to relight that gaming passion you once had, Buying a Nintendo platform will bring you back to the basics, Good old fashioned fun gaming.
    So Indie games? Arcade classic games? Also VR?

I had (and still have) an N64 and a Gamecube and thus far I not once have felt Nostalgia towards a new Nintendo Platform (doesn´t help that I felt ripped off with both consoles even back then). Oh also obligatory "Imo"... yes it´s not a universal truth but my personal opinion based on my experiences.

Yup...RO friggin rocked  
bananaking21 said:
- you have no idea what you are talking about if you think "cinematic" experiences are taking away gameplay from gamers. simply no idea.

Happened to me with GTA 5. Too many instances where I would have to suffer through long and uninteresting cutscenes where my interaction with the controller in my hand was severely limited.

No, I went to Nintendo because they make the best games.