By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My take on the NEO and SCORPIO

kowenicki said:

That just suits your agenda.  Its coming within 18 months... it is certainly more than thin air.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/spencer-scorpio-won-t-do-anything-for-you-if-you-don-t-have-a-4k-tv/0168577

The Scorpio trainwreck continues, nobody at MS knows anything about what they're talking about and all the messages have been mixed. Hilarious. Looking forward to more PR gold

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Roronaa_chan said:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/spencer-scorpio-won-t-do-anything-for-you-if-you-don-t-have-a-4k-tv/0168577

The Scorpio trainwreck continues, nobody at MS knows anything about what they're talking about and all the messages have been mixed. Hilarious. Looking forward to more PR gold

Keep hoping and crossing your fingers.  It will come in 2017 and will be more powerful than the Neo.

That's all that you and MS are doing right now.

RJ_Sizzle said:

In my eyes, it sounds like MS is starting up another gen. It was inevitable. There's already talk from MS that devs could be free to make Scorpio only games if they wish. That's an indicator that X1 may not be the same priority anymore. The Neo sounds like the stop gap console. All PS4 games can work on it. sounds like it's made for the people that will stay in the PS4 ecosystem having invested in it. I could see the Scorpio tempting everyone else. Mainly those that don't own a PC.

It's not like any company is owed loyalty, so I can see some migration if Xbox does come out with the more powerful machine... at a decent price for the mass market of course.

History has shown us that power is not what makes people migrate to or pick a console.

Lawlight said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

In my eyes, it sounds like MS is starting up another gen. It was inevitable. There's already talk from MS that devs could be free to make Scorpio only games if they wish. That's an indicator that X1 may not be the same priority anymore. The Neo sounds like the stop gap console. All PS4 games can work on it. sounds like it's made for the people that will stay in the PS4 ecosystem having invested in it. I could see the Scorpio tempting everyone else. Mainly those that don't own a PC.

It's not like any company is owed loyalty, so I can see some migration if Xbox does come out with the more powerful machine... at a decent price for the mass market of course.

History has shown us that power is not what makes people migrate to or pick a console.

That's why I say SOME. Power is a factor for enthusiast gamers more nowadays considering the speed of tech advancement. When PS4 owners were polled about the PS4, many cited power as an attractive feature for the console. If Scorpio ends up being the strongest box, I can see some people being lured by it. But that doesn't mean it's a slam dunk. They still have to get the adoption rates high. MS still has the stigma of this gen to fight past first. 

kowenicki said:
Roronaa_chan said:

What are you talking about? Keep hoping and crossing your fingers.  It will come in 2017 and will be more powerful than the Neo.

Only way that holds true is if the Neo is really voming out this year. I have my doubts that it is cause not onky did sony aknowledge it exists but they went on to not talk or show it at all at their conference. With PSVr coming in october i dimply dont see them making another hardware push/release this year. If its coming next year then there is no gaurantee that its ends up being the less powerful system. 

Unless of course MS has a monopoly on AMD parts that we are unaware of that is......

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

I was under the impression that Neo was already a thing.  Will they scrap it and start again?  They could I suppose.  House looked sketchy in that interview I saw.  Like he was making it up as he went along.

We don't even know how far along they really were to begin with, so we don't know if "scrapping and start again" is actually the right way to describe whats happenning. 

At some point i was also under the impression that the Neo was a thing and and right around thr corner, but having given it a little thought, it just made less and less sense that it releases this year.

I actually want or wish someone to tell us how in ANY way the Neo releasing this year benefits sony when compared to what they stand to gain from it releasing next year instead. 

Sounds like console users are becoming pc users.

Intrinsic said:
kowenicki said:
Iterative, eventually leading to streaming. Love it.

Takes deep pockets to be FULLY involved from both consumer AND manufacturer perspective.

I have no idea how Ninty fits in?

I dont think gaming will ever be primarily based off streaming. Its just too cost prohibitive. 

There is just no way around this, if 1M people are playing Let say Horizon at the same time. At exactly the same time, you are going to need a 1M servers that can run ome million instances of that game fir 1M gamers, or even more expenzive servers where each one can run 2 instances of thr gane fir 2 users. Either way its expensive. Very. 

Consoles require the consumer pays for most if not all of the hardware. Streaming requires that the platform holder pays for all of the hardware. Its just not feasible. It would always be cheaper and more efficient selling hardware to consumers. 

Ninty, well..... nintendo will nintendo. But there is an angle nintendo can take. I believe the will see success if they go for a handheld console thats poeerful enough to pass for a respectable home console too when plugged into a TV. 

This isn't really how virtualized machines work at all, keep in mind the PS4 does a lot more than just run the game, there is a lot of things going on inside the system which all take a toll on its resources, a virtualization server is not going to be doing things like monitoring your friends list in the background, even things like the in game capturing would obviously be handed over to the PS4 at your end, simply recording the visuals being streamed down.. lol even the clock functionality would be handled locally! I'm just saying that even on dumb terminals in a bank, not every little thing is run from the Virtualization Server.

Still thought I'm not sure that streaming technology is really close to being able to replace the system in our house with 4k streaming systems, but it's hard to predict the future when it comes to technologies, that said, often when it comes to a new product you will have customers look to the past to see how previous versions of it worked, such as Onlive, while technology moves forwards you have to show customers  a product so good they'll forget past failures.

Also keep in mind that Playstation Now is not available in more countries than it is, Sony are a long way away from being able to stream ps2 power out properly globally.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ramadear said:

In what way?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ramadear said:

Not at all. Not even in the slightest. Whats funny about statements like this is how baseless they are. Do you realize that smartphones have more in common to a PC than a console? If you insist with a smartphone ypu can actually fully replace your PC or laptop, they even do more than a console does. They are refreshed eveey single year almost without fail, command prices more inline with an average PC, yet we don't see people saying smartphone buyers are PC buyers. 

A console ia still a console, a refresh every 3-6yrs doesn't male it like a PC in the slightest. A console only really becomes like a PC when you can walk into a store, change your Ram, Hard drive, CPU and GPU. I just don't see the connection at all.

Ganoncrotch said:

This isn't really how virtualized machines work at all, keep in mind the PS4 does a lot more than just run the game, there is a lot of things going on inside the system which all take a toll on its resources, a virtualization server is not going to be doing things like monitoring your friends list in the background, even things like the in game capturing would obviously be handed over to the PS4 at your end, simply recording the visuals being streamed down.. lol even the clock functionality would be handled locally! I'm just saying that even on dumb terminals in a bank, not every little thing is run from the Virtualization Serve

You are right and wrong at the same time :).

Lets break it down to the basics. Using a PS4. For a game to run on the PS4, it needs 6 CPU cores and an 18CU GPU with ~5GB of GDDR5 ram. This is the app allotment in hardware for all games built for the PS4 to work. Now even if you take out the 2 2CPU cores and eveeything else need to run the other background tasks the PS4 runs, you still need at least what i memtioned earlier in your "virtualized machine" to get it to work.

Now even if you have highly specialized virtualization machines that can each run 2-3 instances of the PS4, you still need them to either exactly have the aforr mentioned minimum hardware or at least something that is so powerful that it can emulate it. Either way, thats a lot of money. 

There really is no way around this, no virtualization machine is less powerful than the core hardware its trying to emulate. Its just impossible. 

If you want to strip what it takes to run an instance of a PS4 game down to its core, you need 6 CPU/ 18CU GPU and 5GB ram then multiply tjat by how ever many millions of people you intend to be able to play a game simultaneously (or its equivalent). Selling hardware directly to users would always be cheaper and more efficient than that, especially when you stand to make a profit from selling the hardware to begin with. 

I belive game streaming will always be a backend option. A way sony or whoever else can repurpose old obsolete hardware. They will never put PS4 level virtualization machines in a server somehwhere when they can sell that hardware directly to an emd User, but when the PS5 comes along, and no one is biying the stock PS4 anymore, they can get them back and throw them into their servers....