By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of war is ruined (opinion)

Different to the point of being something else entirely. I wouldnt say ruined unless the new gameplay is bad.

It's a reboot & seems to be making no real stride to follow up on the previous formula. In that sense I dont think things should be directly compared. Would the fixed camera of previous games convey the same scale, same quality of narrative,would it allow the same mechanics that are going to be explored in this game? Given the camera angle I think it's safe to say the combat will 100% be slower.

Hopefully someone else steps in to fill space that they've left, but I'm personally quite happy with the change in direction.

Around the Network

I'm honestly more interested in a God of War game now than ever before, all thanks to the E3 showing. The greek setting had long since become tired, so taking it into a whole new direction is a great thing in my opinion. Maybe Kratos can once again become a somewhat interesting character as well.

Qwark said:
An IP that has four installments needs to do something different, some will like it and some will hate it. I personally like the new approach for God of War. I will explain why the original triology hit it's climax when part 3 arrived. You simply can't top that game as accension, (while still enjoyable enough) proved. Sure the game had it's epics but if we are fair it just wasn't as awesome as fighting against gods and titans. A newer more open world (or at least those pop ups of learning) skills seems like a good re-imagining of the series. Why they choose to hold on to kratos is beyond me, anyways the series is starting fresh and does things differently I can only encourage that. Besides I still thought the troll battle was pretty awesome and the battling with the minions still looked good enough especially brutally murdering one with your fists. (Oh come on everyone is a bit of a sadist when playing God of War).

I hate Kratos but it's certainly not the same character from the previous games. I think they've gone the route of holding onto an iconic character while reinventing him for a new audience.

He was using a Two-handed Berserker battle-axe, which has it's own advantages such as using weight for deadly one-hit attack's, which the entire point isn't ''Speed'' because speed would ruin the impact of the force.
Kratos have always ended up getting several different weapons for different types of foes.. You got to be a critical hater if you ''Seemingly forgot about that'' Because a GOW fan would have already considered that fact. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a basic knowledge in weapons when you play these sort of games.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Trunkin said:
MDMAlliance said:

I'm not saying it will build up to the same speed as the originals.  Lol.  But I think it's not unreasonable to think the pace will pick up (potentially).

I see, well, that's more sensible, lol. I'm sure you'll be able to ditch the heavy axe at some point for something a little faster -- weapon choices are something they'd better keep from the earlier games. Some sort of god powers should give a boost at some point as well, but still... O_o

I think Santa Monica probably realised that GoW was getting a little stale after Ascension, and decided to take a gamble and make, like, the hugest departure from the original formula that they could possibly concieve. This is easily the biggest shock this E3, if you ask me. We'll see how it pans out, but I  can't believe Sony would do this with one of their most iconic franchises. The balls on them!

He was using a Two-handed Berserker battle-axe, which has it's own advantages such as using weight for deadly one-hit attack's, which the entire point isn't ''Speed'' because speed would ruin the impact of the force. 
Kratos have always ended up getting several different weapons for different types of foes.. You can't be critical if you don't even know the details and it's funny you ''Seemingly forgot about that'' Because a GOW fan would have already considered that fact. Also, it doesn't hurt to have a basic knowledge in weapons when you play these sort of games. Different weapons= Different uses. Only a moron would use that kind of axe for anything but what it was designed to do, i don't think Kratos is a idiot when it comes to weapons. Also, i believe he have a level-system as well, which means? You can upgrade abilities.

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90

Around the Network

I missed Kratos so much food that hes back

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

And if it was the same 7th GOW we cry and moaning how fail this is :)

But we are talk about Sony here he gives freedom on first party studios to do whatever they want

I m not suprise if become a open world rpg hack n slash
Serioiusly we talk about Kratos holding a one axe but he also fight with his empty hands and beat the shit out of those Nordic monsters, is not slow for me

Qwark said:
An IP that has four installments needs to do something different, some will like it and some will hate it. I personally like the new approach for God of War. I will explain why the original triology hit it's climax when part 3 arrived. You simply can't top that game as accension, (while still enjoyable enough) proved. Sure the game had it's epics but if we are fair it just wasn't as awesome as fighting against gods and titans. A newer more open world (or at least those pop ups of learning) skills seems like a good re-imagining of the series. Why they choose to hold on to kratos is beyond me, anyways the series is starting fresh and does things differently I can only encourage that. Besides I still thought the troll battle was pretty awesome and the battling with the minions still looked good enough especially brutally murdering one with your fists. (Oh come on everyone is a bit of a sadist when playing God of War).

Yeah but there's a wide gap between doing something different and completely overhauling the series. If this trailer was shown without Kratos (I agree, why include him at all?) and the name God of War at the end, would anyone recognize it?

Definitely prefer fixed camera for that series.

I'm glad, God of War had become stale and I was uninterested before this. Now I'm at least interested.

Don't ruin the moment

Currently Playing: Rocket League (PC/PS4), Dead Cells (PC)

LordyPlays on YouTube