By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - U.N. Chief Admits He Removed Saudi Arabia From Child-Killer List Due to Extortion

In a press conference, Ban called his decision to remove Saudi Arabia from the blacklist as "one of the most painful and difficult decisions I have had to make."

Saudi Arabia has never liked the United Nations, but the spat with Ban Ki-moon over the child casualties of the war in Yemen this week marks a new low.

It was extraordinary to hear the secretary-general admit publicly on Thursday that he had had his arm twisted to change tack in the wake of anger from Riyadh.

The row began when the UN published a report about global violations of children’s rights and listed the Saudi-led military coalition’s actions in Yemen, where it is backing the restoration of the legitimate president and fighting Houthi rebels.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/10/saudi-arabia-row-ban-ki-moon-new-low-un-relationship

Around the Network

The Saudi ambassador to the UN, Abdallah al-Mouallimi, insisted that the removal of the coalition from the blacklist was “irreversible and unconditional”.

Meanwhile:

Secretary General Ban Ki Moon announce that he was temporarily removing Saudi Arabia from a list of countries accused of violating the rights of children during war.

No idea how the Saudi ambassador reached the conclusion that the lift is "irreversible".

Do we know what other countries are on this list? It will be interesting to see what other countries are getting away with it.

Many believe The UN is a joke. Saudi Arabia being the chair of UN Human Rights Council is a a testament to that belief.

I only shared the news in the OP because I find it comic, not to discuss who deserves to be in that list and who doesn't

If Saudi Arabia didn't have so many oil and if they weren't chumming up to the US and the EU the whole time, there would be a massive economic blockade against them (and there should be).

Around the Network

It's crazy just how much oil they have... most unfortunate really, they're practically untouchable because of it.

Edit: I can't find in the article how Ban was extorted... there's a few threats about leaving the UN but that's about it.

Seriously, if that's all there was that man is absolutely spineless.

LurkerJ said:

Many believe The UN is a joke. Saudi Arabia being the chair of UN Human Rights Council is a a testament to that belief.

I only shared the news in the OP because I find it comic, not to discuss who deserves to be in that list and who doesn't

The UN is a joke.

I only mentioned it since the topic is about extortion and dodgy decisions the UN makes for countries they are pally with. 

The UN is nothing but an organization for the wealthy and powerful countries of earth to control the world. International law is also a joke since those countries can break it at any time without repercussion. You have a big army or loads of cash? Congratulations, international law doesn't apply to you.

Whoever thinks the UN was made for safety or whatever are kidding themselves...theyre just there for power and money.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

As I've said before, the UN is useless.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).