By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - What’s In The Xbox Update Coming This Summer - Cortana, New library, Store Convergence and more

Thus far, my entire family and I having problems with Cortana. I'm hoping it's just a learning curve/growing pain because of how comfortable we had become with the old voice commands. Frustratingly, she often does a web search for an app when we want her to open the app. The integration seems iffy, and the voice commands don't see much more, if at all, intuitive or natural.

Around the Network

Okay. Toyed with it for a while.

To be honest, when I first turned on my console in the living room, I didn't even know it had updated at all! After a while, it invited me to use Cortana. At first, she was awesome. Anything I asked her to do, she'd do. The new layout was fantastic, too. Really love having room for another pin and having my games and apps readily available and organized is awesome, too.

I have two Xbox Ones and two Kinect cameras so I tested out the party features, too. Worked great. It wasn't until I delved deeper that the problems arose.

Cortana.

Okay, a lot of people complain about Xbox One commands but I've never had that problem. In my game room (with my old Kinect), I could WHISPER voice commands and they worked. With the update, I don't even think "Xbox On" works anymore. I'd tell her to open an app and she'd google it instead. I tried Netflix and asked her to pause or fast forward and she'd say she couldn't. With my old Xbox, things work great but with my new Xbox (the one that updated, thngs aren't working at all when they used to work before. Hope they finish it before they open it to the public.

Cortana is pissing me off. It's like she ignores what I'm saying or she actually did hear it, but reacts 10 seconds later.

I finally figured out how to turn my Xbox on and off through Cortina. It's so much unnecessary talking to achieve what "Xbox" did before. You have to say "Cortana, turn Xbox on" or "Hey, Cortana, turn off Xbox". It's like she's this bitch in the middle that won't let me talk to my Xbox without me telling her first. Then she over thinks what I say and finally after searching through the Internet to figure out if what I was saying is acceptable to do with the Internet Gods, she complies. All I wanted to achieve was for you to pause the video!

I tried to turn her off, but when doing so I can't even use my old Xbox commands. So I'm stuck with this hard of hearing airhead.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I like the My Games and Apps area a lot more now. It was too cluttered before.

I'm surprised to hear that Cortana isn't working that well with XO. I assumed it would actually be immediately better in the more closed environment of a console than on a PC with tons of non-Microsoft software and files.

At least Microsoft seems to be aware. "Known Issues:
It’s early for Cortana on Xbox One and we’ll continue to make improvements and build new features. We’re still tuning Cortana, so please bear with us, and be sure to report issues via Report a problem!"

Around the Network
pokoko said:
I'm surprised to hear that Cortana isn't working that well with XO. I assumed it would actually be immediately better in the more closed environment of a console than on a PC with tons of non-Microsoft software and files.

At least Microsoft seems to be aware. "Known Issues:
It’s early for Cortana on Xbox One and we’ll continue to make improvements and build new features. We’re still tuning Cortana, so please bear with us, and be sure to report issues via Report a problem!"

What Cortana can do is actually pretty great. The problem is that she's having trouble with things the XB1 was already able to do. Still an upgrade, though.