By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Star Fox Zero might be the end of the Star Fox series

I said might.

This was an attempt to create a new Star Fox game for a new system and after a long dev cycle, 130+ people working on the game and a short delay, the game simply isn't selling well enough for Nintendo to see this as profitable for them.

It was a decade since the last new entry in the series and so I fear that after this attempt they may not decide to create a new entry for a long time.

Around the Network
mizzou_guy said:
160rmf said:

Do I really need to quote everyone? How about start reading the third post in this thread? You will get the idea.

That was just one part of my post, but that's fine if you can't address the rest of it, lol.

The third post was from someone who was banned for trolling, so I don't really care about that.  Most other people are making comments about Nintendo's insistance on gimmicky controls.  There are posts from people who have played the game who have said it's not that great and some that have said they enjoyed it, too.  I've already read the thread, and I'm not gonna quote anyone either.  My point was that you're making an unfair generalization towards other people who have differing opinions than you about this game.  You did it to me by saying I'm not even a fan of Star Fox . . . again, something I don't even know how you would determine based off of anything I've written here.

Fair enough, they have all the rights to doesn't like the controls, but stagnate the franchise with the same controls for more than 20 years it would do no good either, many things that were introduced in this game wouldn't be possible with traditional controls. The game would be a simple SF64 with pretty graphics.

And about this: "2.  The game can't technically be said it's true to its origins as you describe it, since the original game didn't have the ship transforming into a walking biped.  That came in a later sequel.  (I don't really care about this point, but since you're being so anal, I will, too.)"

Well, what I was saying is that SFZ isn't a zelda rippoff like Adventures. The Walker wouldn't erase what they did in this game. SFZ is a true quality star fox game.

I have to assume that it was stupid my accusations towards you. I'm sorry for this.

We reap what we sow

ZhugeEX said:
I said might.

This was an attempt to create a new Star Fox game for a new system and after a long dev cycle, 130+ people working on the game and a short delay, the game simply isn't selling well enough for Nintendo to see this as profitable for them.

It was a decade since the last new entry in the series and so I fear that after this attempt they may not decide to create a new entry for a long time.

Well it was also on Nintendo's worst selling system of all time, which is already on its last legs, so... that's another major factor.

JTurner82 said:
ZhugeEX said:
I said might.

Well it was also on Nintendo's worst selling system of all time, which is already on its last legs, so... that's another major factor.

That didn't stop Splatoon, a new IP that no one thought would have any impact, selling over 4 million units and becoming an absolute hit game for the company. 

Nor did it stop remakes of The Legend of Zelda selling millions of units. 

First Party software sales of other games have proved that there is demand for Nintendo software on the system and games like Mario Kart 8 have sold over 7 million units on an install base of under 13 million. In other words, these games are achieving very high attach rates. 

ZhugeEX said:
JTurner82 said:

That didn't stop Splatoon, a new IP that no one thought would have any impact, selling over 4 million units and becoming an absolute hit game for the company. 

First Party software sales of other games have proved that there is demand for Nintendo software on the system and games like Mario Kart 8 have sold over 7 million units on an install base of under 13 million. 

But Splatoon had a huge marketing campaign and Mario Kart and Zelda are Nintendo's major IPs

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
160rmf said:
ZhugeEX said:

First Party software sales of other games have proved that there is demand for Nintendo software on the system and games like Mario Kart 8 have sold over 7 million units on an install base of under 13 million. 

But Splatoon had a huge marketing campaign and Mario Kart and Zelda are Nintendo's major IPs

You're not exactly disproving anything though. The original point used Wii U's install base as a reason as to why the game didn't sell but it's not really a valid reason when nearly 15 first party Nintendo titles on Wii U have sold over 1 million units. 

The fact is that this game had 2 years + worth of development time, external support from Platinum, R&D regarding Wii U Gamepad, over 130 people working on the game, additional localisation needed + all the other costs and overheads that are associated with Video Game development and so when you work out the estimated costs + factor in marketing (what there was of it) then it's clear that 500k won't cut it. 

What were all the 130 people working on for two years? Starfox Zero looks like an indie title.

It may go dormant again for awhile, but the end of it? I don't think so. They'll probably give it another shot at some point in time.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:
It may go dormant again for awhile, but the end of it? I don't think so. They'll probably give it another shot at some point in time.

Yeah, like toward the end of the NX's cycle or so.  Although I think that may depend on the sales of the NX more than SFZ.

They should re-release it for the NX, it might find new legs then, the game interests me, I just don't wish to buy into a platform that is being phased out. - And nor do I like the controller.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--