By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - AMD Computex Livestream has begun, RX 480- 5+ tflops for $199, releasing June 29th

Soundwave said:
shikamaru317 said:

Yeah, MS can definitely hit their 6 teraflops target for under $450 imo, maybe even $400. 

$399.99 will be easy. 

This is cheaper than the 7850-7870 GPUs that the PS4/XB1 used for their time (7870 was $350 when it launched in mid-2012). 

To be honest looking at that Polaris 11 price, Nintendo really dun fucked up by not using that chip (it seems). $130 retail for a 2.5 TFLOP GPU at under 50 watts?

Any confirmation of that or is it just a rumor?

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
bunchanumbers said:
Hmm. If NX is using Polaris 11, I wonder what kind of price range we'll be looking at? If they can get performance above PS4 at $199 I think they would hit a really nice sweet spot.

Well, the 460 is less than $140 at retail, which means Nintendo could likely get a custom APU (CPU+GPU) using a Polaris 11 derived GPU for less than $140 since they'd be buying in bulk. I think Nintendo could definitely hit $250 if they wanted to, maybe less. The main concern is the controller, if it has a screen again it will raise the price some.

I think that $249 needs to be the absolute ceiling for NX pricing. Hopefully they don't go overboard with the controller concept.

shikamaru317 said:
JEMC said:

I wouldn't make those assumptions yet.

Going by that leak, it seems like there won't be a 480X card (unless AMD decides to launch a card named RX 480X, and those are too many X), and given that we don't know how will big of an impact on the performance will the enhancements to the CUs bring or its actual retail price, I wouldn't start comparing it to Nvidia's offerings.

Also, the number of DX12 games right now is quite small (are there even a dozen games?), and that won't change overnight, ie. DX11 performance will still be more important.

Benchmarks for the R9 480x already leaked though. According to those benchmarks, it's performance is on par with the R9 Fury (non-X variant). R9 Fury tops the 1070 in some DX12 games. That being said, I agree with you about DX11, it will still be the standard for another couple of years, and the 1070 has a pretty big advantage in DX11 games.

You mean synthetic benchmarks like this one, or real benches with games? If it's the later, please post them, but if it's the former... sorry, but they aren't reliable.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

I think I know what will replace my R7 265 ^^

If AMD can sell a 5.5 Tflop card at retail for 199$.
MS and Sony are probably getting those chips for 100$ or less.

Pretty nice price/performance to be honest.

At that price Im tempted to upgrade.

Around the Network

XBox 2 is gonna be pretty sweet power wise.

So basically all AMD is announcing is 1060(ti) competitor?

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Mafioso said:
So basically all AMD is announcing is 1060(ti) competitor?

This is the 480 & 480x.

There will also be a 490, 490x, Fury, Fury X.

AMD is just starting with the smaller cards and working its way upwards, instead of what nvidia does.

Thats a bummer for the enthusiast market. They needed a 1070 competitor like right now, before that card repeats the popularity the 970 had.

I'm not sure how this strategy will pan out. Last they had focused on killer cards in the cheaper segment (the 7800 series) it didn't necessarily do much in the market share dept, though they were great cards for their time. 

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Pretty sure this is to beat that 1070 that Nvidia just launched, not the 1080.

Polaris is about mid range marketshare where the most buyers are wich makes sense, it will also power Ps4 Neo and probably Xbox Scorpio.