Forums - General Discussion - Kid falls in gorilla pit- gorilla is shot to death

Cobretti2 said:
binary solo said:

Perhaps only a handful of them occur at a zoo, as a result of an interaction with an animal. But if people are seriously going to accuse this woman in particular of gross negligence and she should be investigated by child services, then there are 9.2 million other people, at least, every year who should also be investigated. That might take a while though.

The difference bing the kid kept saying i'm gonna go in there to her. At that point a light bulb should click in your head and you keep an eye out on that child.

Also it wasn't a split second incident. There was like three obsticles to get through. Even if you look away for a split second then you would have still seen your kid doing the wrong thing. SHe was too busy looking at other things to give a shit about her kid.

It was one barrier that was wide enough gap between wires that a toddler or small grown up could go through.

The zoo accreditation is saying they are going to require modifications.

Professionals who's sole purpose is to provide safe environment for EVERY individual has said it's the zoo's responsibility to ensure that doesn't happen and have child proof exhibits

Around the Network
Chris Hu said:

Yeah no the mother wasn't paying attention there is at least one eye witness to the whole event that can colbarate that.  She saw that the kid was actively trying to get in the enclosure and the mother wasn't aware of it.  Also the kid is four its no longer a toddler if it was a toddler it wouldn't have happened since toddlers mostly crawl and I'm pretty sure the barrier is at least crawl proof.

What did the witness do to prevent this?

Btw, barrier is not crawl proof and toddler don't mostly crawl... Do you know age range of toddlers?

Shiken said:

Look I really hate how SJW cannot shut up about this (speaking in general, not at anyone in particular). The Zoo did the right thing. If it comes down to an animal or a four year old toddler, you kill the damn animal. Even a family dog would kill to protect a puppy regardless of who or what it was from, humans are no different. It is instinct. The Zoo did what they had to do.

Now the woman, that is up for debate. None of us know the story of how the child got in there, it is being investigated. IF there is negligence she should have to pay. However if it truly was just a fluke separation then no charges should be filed (yes SJW, it can happen).

I personally don't see how negligence would not be involved in this case, but I am not going to condemn someone without ALL of the info. All this "she was probably this or that" nonsense is just a foolish way to look at it. You do not know. Let the authorities do their job and get to the bottom of it.

I agree with this, Kids are fast like that, 4 kids apparently since 1 is a new born apparently I'm going to wager her hands on a stroller, according to some accounts the father is present as well, even with both parents it only takes a moment for a child to disappear. Plus memorial day weekend, I'd wager the zoo was crowded all it would take is someone to cut between a parent and the kid and he could have been off.  Or she could have been watching the children poorly, I wasn't there and I'm not going to put too much stock into stories on the internet.  Or it could have been a small moments inattention, addressing another child, buying something, looking at an animal.  It could have been something annoying like the parents burying there faces in there cell phones when they should have been watching there kids.  But even if it was that, I still don't think it warrents destroying their lives.

As for the zoo's enclosure, it was effective for almost 4 decades apparently, they had pretty good reason to trust it, sometimes we don't know about a flaw in a system until it's hit.  Now I'm sure they'll address how the kid got in.

As far as shooting the gorilla, it's unfortunate but I'm sure the zoo evaluated their options as best they could in the little time they had.  Even being as cynical as possible, would you voluntarily kill something as valuable to a zoo as a male gorilla in the prime of his life?  I doubt it.  Beyond that I'm sure that the gorilla's keepers had attachment to him.  Tranquilzers aren't magic like on tv, gorillas are strong, really strong, even if the gorilla didnt' want to hurt the boy a wrong pull on his head could result in a broken neck, like Roy Horn, the tiger sure didn't want to hurt him, but it still did terribly.   Also anyone saying gorillas are not violent and harmless, seriously, they can be, infinticide is incredibly common among adult males to rival troops babies.  Doesn't mean this one wanted to hurt the boy, he didn't seem to, but it isn't outside of gorilla.

Also annoying claiming he was removed from his natural habitat and put in prison, this one was born in a zoo, and frankly living a comfortable life in which you don't need to be worried about being eaten by leopard doesn't seem that bad.  Plus gorillas aren't human, it's like the people that think crates are bad for dogs.  A dog doesn't think like a human nor does a gorilla, they live longer and are possibly happier in the zoo than in the wild.

Personally I really hope the parents weren't negligent and it was just a freak accident, even if it wasn't there are too many broken families in the US already especially black families, I'd hate to see one fall apart over internet fanaticism due to screwing up in a common way that just happened to lead to tragedy.  Honestly the guy seeemed to have really turned his life around, and the mother seems to be a good person, the family being crapped up reduces this kids chances of doing well and school and making something of himself.  If nothing else wouldn't you prefer that the boy the gorilla died due to  end up making it count for something as opposed to nothing.  (and don't give me the "I'd prefer the gorilla not die" too late for that the goal should always make the best out of the aftermath no matter how tragic it might be)

Last thing, man those tweets, they managed to be raced against whites, equate black men to gorillas... so technically self loathing and or racist against blacks at the same time, and demonstrate they don't actually think before shooting there mouth off all in 140 characters

also if you want a situation were you can blame someone take your anger out on the san fransico zoo for this bout of craptacularness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Zoo_tiger_attacks

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peh said:
Darama said:
Should have shot the kid, there's more than enough of them.

You must be really proud of yourself.

I am because I was capable of going to plenty of zoos as a child without getting any animals killed.

Darama said:
Peh said:

I am because I was capable of going to plenty of zoos as a child without getting any animals killed.

Yeah, that's probably because your parents used this:

They knew you couldn't be trusted, at all.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti 11GB VRAM | Asus PG27UQ gaming on 3840 x 2160 @120 Hz GSYNC HDR| HTC Vive Pro :3

Reached PC master race level.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
I would be very curious how many of you are parents. The fact that the zoo has bars that a child can squeeze through is already a problem when you are an establishment that serves families. 2nd, children at that age can easily move from your sight and book especially if you have more than one kid to care for. 4 year olds make fools of parents all the time and between 2 and 5 will run away at the slightest chance to do whatever they want.

People forget that crap happens. Kids do this all the time the thing is that most times are not in dangerous situations. Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs out there and there is no parent that watch their kids 24/7 and protect them from themselves every moment of their waking lives.

While it seems very easy to place blame on the parent, the blame also goes to the zoo. If a 4 year old child can get thorough your safe guards and fall in a pit with a full male gorilla then yes, there is a serious gap in their security.

This isn't a black or white issue.

I was wrong for doing so. I admit, the zoo should have also placed clear glass to prevent kids from going through. I'm sure clear glass won't make the gorilla's habitat suddenly like a prison

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Darama said:
Peh said:

That is not a valid argument

hershel_layton said:
Machiavellian said:
I would be very curious how many of you are parents. The fact that the zoo has bars that a child can squeeze through is already a problem when you are an establishment that serves families. 2nd, children at that age can easily move from your sight and book especially if you have more than one kid to care for. 4 year olds make fools of parents all the time and between 2 and 5 will run away at the slightest chance to do whatever they want.

People forget that crap happens. Kids do this all the time the thing is that most times are not in dangerous situations. Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs out there and there is no parent that watch their kids 24/7 and protect them from themselves every moment of their waking lives.

While it seems very easy to place blame on the parent, the blame also goes to the zoo. If a 4 year old child can get thorough your safe guards and fall in a pit with a full male gorilla then yes, there is a serious gap in their security.

This isn't a black or white issue.

I was wrong for doing so. I admit, the zoo should have also placed clear glass to prevent kids from going through. I'm sure clear glass won't make the gorilla's habitat suddenly like a prison

Really not sure how they ever thought that barrier was sufficient and never for seen it would lead to issues. Seriously,  a hand rail with flimsy wires under it that is wide enough for a toddler to slip through is not sufficient. Chicago Lincoln Park Zoo, Brookfield Zoo and Milwaukee Zoo all has physical barriers blocking the enclosure that can only be accessed by climbing over (which would be a lot more work and easier to detect before something bad happens) or just completely enclosed all together.

Peh said:
Darama said:

Yeah, that's probably because your parents used this:

They knew you couldn't be trusted, at all.

Or maybe my parents just keep an eye on me and I wasn't a retard child who falls into pits with dangerous animals.

DoctorHorrible said:
Chris Hu said:

Yeah no the mother wasn't paying attention there is at least one eye witness to the whole event that can colbarate that.  She saw that the kid was actively trying to get in the enclosure and the mother wasn't aware of it.  Also the kid is four its no longer a toddler if it was a toddler it wouldn't have happened since toddlers mostly crawl and I'm pretty sure the barrier is at least crawl proof.

What did the witness do to prevent this?

Btw, barrier is not crawl proof and toddler don't mostly crawl... Do you know age range of toddlers?

She almost stopped him from getting into the encloser but unlike the mother of the kid she kinda was also busy and being resposible and watching her own kids.  Also toddlers are usually one or two, three at most.  The kid is four years old that is definetly too old for being a toddler I would say he is a pre schooler.