By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which console will be more powerful PS4 Neo or Xboxone 2?

Most powerful console

PS4 Neo 158 43.65%

Xboxone 2 204 56.35%

Total:362

get an xbox1 for sure

Around the Network

If you read the rumours than you'll know the answer

think-man said:
If you read the rumours than you'll know the answer

Rumors aren't facts though.  They are just rumors.  And we don't even know for a fact that the Neo even exists.  And the specs for both rumors are only speculations so we can speculate as well.  I mean look at the Nx.  Everyone has their own theory.  

Intrinsic said:
People need to get this straight.

The PS4 "GPU" is 18CUs @1.8+TF.
PS4k "GPU" 36CUs @ 4.1TF (more compute units and higher clock)

XB1 GPU is 12CUs @ 1.2+TF

If the XB1.5 GPU is going to be 6TF it would need to be packing 56 compute units!!!!!!

the ONLY card AMD has that has that many compute units is the R9 Fury. And that "GPU" costs $550.

$550. And we have not even started talking about the CPU.

I think some people need to get a little realistic.

$550 at a very high mark up, that's the retail cost after manufacturing and retail profit margins are factored in, the GPU itself probably costs in the range of $300-$350 or so to manufacture (w/RAM) today, also MS would surely be getting a sweeter deal than that as they order these parts in the millions. 

Factor in that MS is not launching for another 1 1/2 years almost too, R9 Fury will be two years old by the time XBox 2 launches. 

This will likely be based on Polaris 14nm tech @6 TFLOPS. 

CosmicSex said:
Intrinsic said:
People need to get this straight.

The PS4 "GPU" is 18CUs @1.8+TF.
PS4k "GPU" 36CUs @ 4.1TF (more compute units and higher clock)

XB1 GPU is 12CUs @ 1.2+TF

If the XB1.5 GPU is going to be 6TF it would need to be packing 56 compute units!!!!!!

the ONLY card AMD has that has that many compute units is the R9 Fury. And that "GPU" costs $550.

$550. And we have not even started talking about the CPU.

I think some people need to get a little realistic.

This whole thing is based on speculation.   Kinda give credence to Phils 'creative' tweet. 

And why the hell doesn't Nintendo get to participate in this convo?

Yes its based on speculation  and rumours. So all we are debating is on the viability of said rumours.

My point still stands tho, even if Phil said what he said, it doesn't take a lot of work to look at whats out there and know whats possible or not possible.

We know they are using AMD. We  know what AMD has bow and what they hsve coming. We know hoe much these things cost. We know whats possible with a finfet fabrication process. We know about DDR4/HBM/HBM2 ram and what they all cost. We know how much a console will typically cost. We know that MS/Sony/Nintendo are in competetion with eachother. We know how much console buyers are typi ally willing to spend on a console.

We basically know enough to make very educated guesses. Even if its by ommission. 

Even with a 16nm process. A 56CU GPU will still cost well over $300. And have a power draw of well over 180W. And thats just talking GPU. Throw a CPU in there thats powerful enough not to be a bottleneck and power consumption goes up to over 300W when you consider every other component. That much power means a bigher box to accomodate for much better cooling. All that equates to a very expensive console. At least over $600. And MS is trying to compete with somwthing that could very well cost as little as $350/$400???? Naaaarrrrr...... not gonna happen.

And why nintendo isnt in this cameo, is cause as rumours suggest (which is what we are debating on) the NX is going to be around as powerful as the current XB1. So unless we are going to speculate on an NX spec sheet that doesnt even exist from the existing rumors, there isnt a need to bring them into this conversation. 

Around the Network

Could be a custom order scaled up Polaris 11.

Polaris 11 churns out 2.5 TFLOPS at under 50 watts with 16 CUs.

Bump that up to 40 CUs ... 6.25 TFLOPS at about 120-130 watts.

Or just a vanilla Polaris 10 is already 5.5 TFLOPS at sub-150 watts for $299.99. 

Soundwave said:

$550 at a very high mark up, that's the retail cost after manufacturing and retail profit margins are factored in, the GPU itself probably costs in the range of $300-$350 or so to manufacture (w/RAM) today, also MS would surely be getting a sweeter deal than that as they order these parts in the millions. 

Factor in that MS is not launching for another 1 1/2 years almost too, R9 Fury will be two years old by the time XBox 2 launches. 

All true, but thats also the problem. You arent really looking at the whole picture.

The R9 fury is based on an established, perfected and outgoing 28nm process. Whatever are in these new boxes are going to be on the curremt 16nm finfet process. By the time the XB1.5 is coming, that fabrication process is still going to be problematic. Yeilds will be a lot lower than what you can get with a 28 nm wafer. Lower yeilds means higher costs. 

Other things to consider are the CPU, memory, PSU, cooler....etc. If the GPU alome costs $300-$350, what do you think eveeything else will cost? You will need a cpu beefy enough to be paired wotj such a GPU. That costs money. You will need ram fast enough to be paired with such a setup. Again, money. A PSU powerful enough to provide power to all that. Again money. A cooling system that gaurantees they dont have another RROD on their hands. 

All that will put such a console well over the $600/$700 mark. And i don't see MS biting $200 in losses on every box sold to get the price down to $400/$500. Especially when the PS4neo could end up costing no more than $400. 

I'm not saying the XB1+ won't be significantly more powerful. Im just saying i dont seen anyway that its possible for it to have a GPU thats 6TF. Its just not possible. 

I think it will end up being stronger but not by much as people think as Sony listens to such rumors too and can adjust their final specs. I dont really care if xbox will be stronger because we will have constant console upgrades from now on, next PlayStation can end being stronger and so on

Intrinsic said:
Soundwave said:

All true, but thats also the problem. You arent really looking at the whole picture.

The R9 fury is based on an established, perfected and outgoing 28nm process. Whatever are in these new boxes are going to be on the curremt 16nm finfet process. By the time the XB1.5 is coming, that fabrication process is still going to be problematic. Yeilds will be a lot lower than what you can get with a 28 nm wafer. Lower yeilds means higher costs. 

Other things to consider are the CPU, memory, PSU, cooler....etc. If the GPU alome costs $300-$350, what do you think eveeything else will cost? You will need a cpu beefy enough to be paired wotj such a GPU. That costs money. You will need ram fast enough to be paired with such a setup. Again, money. A PSU powerful enough to provide power to all that. Again money. A cooling system that gaurantees they dont have another RROD on their hands. 

All that will put such a console well over the $600/$700 mark. And i don't see MS biting $200 in losses on every box sold to get the price down to $400/$500. Especially when the PS4neo could end up costing no more than $400. 

I'm not saying the XB1+ won't be significantly more powerful. Im just saying i dont seen anyway that its possible for it to have a GPU thats 6TF. Its just not possible. 

If it has even a vanilla Polaris 10, that's a 5.5 TFLOP processor at 14nm which supposedly going to be in the $300 *retail* price range. 

http://techfrag.com/2016/05/15/amd-polaris-gpu-specs-leaked/

6 TFLOPS I don't think is going to be even terribly difficult for MS. Polaris tech will make this fairly easy. 

R9 Fury is going to be quite dated very soon using that as the benchmark is irrelevant, no chance MS uses that instead of the newer Polaris line. 

Soundwave said:

Could be a custom order scaled up Polaris 11.

Polaris 11 churns out 2.5 TFLOPS at under 50 watts with 16 CUs.

Bump that up to 40 CUs ... 6.25 TFLOPS at about 120-130 watts.

Or just a vanilla Polaris 10 is already 5.5 TFLOPS at sub-150 watts for $299.99. 

To help put things in perspective for you. When the PS4/XB1 launched, their APUs (CPU+GPU) costs under $100usd. 

Thats how the console business works. NO ONE is going to put a $250/$300/$350 GPU alone in a console.