By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Next Big Step for 3D Mario?

TheLastStarFighter said:
JRPGfan said:

I really hope thats sarcasm.

Not at all.  If Mario wants to be considered among the "it" titles in today's market, an online element is necessary.  There was mild discontent expressed when there was no online in NSMBU and SM3DW. This will grow in the next generation.  All major flagship Nintendo and non-Nintendo titles pretty much need online now.

For 3D Mario I would have a Vs mode, where you collect items and use them against each other.  A unique take on third person shooter where it's not really a shooter.  More like classic SNES Super Mario Kart where you find an item and then use it against another player.  But not one use items, I'm talking Fire Flowers, etc.  Taking a hit makes you lose it and you need to find another to fight again.  All in a 3D arena from the Mario universe.  It could be amazing, and would generate a strong reaction when revealed.  You would also hear people say that Nintendo is entering modern gaming, which is a good thing.

Online campaign could work too, but it would take careful implementation.  But an online mode could enable more flexibility for quest level design that was restricted a bit in SM3DW.

In all honesty, there is no downside to adding more features to a game.  It doesn't need to ruin the single- or local multiplayer experience.

I WANT a Galaxy/64 style mario adventure game.

If they do another 3D mario world game, with focus on multiplayer, im not buying their next console.

That would be the death of Mario in my eyes.

Its been too long without a adventure style 3D mario, and a "real" paper mario game (not a sticker star, or platformer one).

"a 3D mario VS mode? items you can use against each other?"

"a Unique take on a shooter"

*face palm*

Please dont kill Mario, Mr LastStarFighter.

Some of us want a single player adventure platformer Mario.

You want to play a Mario shooter? ask nintendo to make a splatoon mario skin.

Want to play a vs mode, in mario? go play Smash.

Mario the platformer is so important to nintendo, I think if you f*** too much with the formula, and forget about it, you could run nintendo into the ground.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
t3mporary_126 said:
I'm gonna go against Galaxy 3 unless they make the path less linear. Galaxy 2 was fun but I don't think I want the return of 3D Mario Adventure to be another Galaxy. Maybe make Galaxy 3 afterwards.

Also the 3D series are fun but if Nintendo can't do 3D Adventure, 3DLand/World, and 2D side scroller in one gen I rather they take out 3D World/Land out.

Or they can make another new IP that plays like 3D adventure Mario since Mario was usually linear in 2D.

Its time to let 2D mario die.

3D Adventure mario (64, galaxy) & 3D World, are what nintendo needs to do.

Leave the 2D platforming to donkey kong country, they do it better than mario these days anyways.

But I rather have EAD try to make an ambitious 2D Mario and have Retro to stop making ambitious 2D Donkey Kong.

MarioCraft

freebs2 said:
MarioCraft

:P 

I thought about it.... Im okay with it actually.

How about:

A World of Warcraft clone, with Mario characters... that would really be something differnt.

Id love to see it :D

They would have to develope alot of new monsters & characters, but it would be really fun.

What class is the typical mario? (tank, healer, dps?)

Imagine theres no mounts (in this world of warcraft clone), and to get to harder raids, you ll have to platform your way to get there :P

(that jump puzzle platform stuff they have in guildwars2 is fun)

JRPGfan said:
freebs2 said:
MarioCraft

:P 

I thought about it.... Im okay with it actually.

A World of Warcraft clone, with Mario characters... that would really be something differnt.

Id love to see it :D

They would have to develope alot of new monsters & characters, but it would be really fun.

What class is the typical mario? (tank, healer, dps?)

Imagine theres no mounts (in this world of warcraft clone), and to get to harder raids, you ll have to platform your way to get there :P

(that jump puzzle platform stuff they have in guildwars2 is fun)

Actually I meant Minecraft, but I understand the capital C was misleading. My bad.

Anyway, even a Mario (War)Craft spin-off could be nice as well.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
TheLastStarFighter said:

Not at all.  If Mario wants to be considered among the "it" titles in today's market, an online element is necessary.  There was mild discontent expressed when there was no online in NSMBU and SM3DW. This will grow in the next generation.  All major flagship Nintendo and non-Nintendo titles pretty much need online now.

For 3D Mario I would have a Vs mode, where you collect items and use them against each other.  A unique take on third person shooter where it's not really a shooter.  More like classic SNES Super Mario Kart where you find an item and then use it against another player.  But not one use items, I'm talking Fire Flowers, etc.  Taking a hit makes you lose it and you need to find another to fight again.  All in a 3D arena from the Mario universe.  It could be amazing, and would generate a strong reaction when revealed.  You would also hear people say that Nintendo is entering modern gaming, which is a good thing.

Online campaign could work too, but it would take careful implementation.  But an online mode could enable more flexibility for quest level design that was restricted a bit in SM3DW.

In all honesty, there is no downside to adding more features to a game.  It doesn't need to ruin the single- or local multiplayer experience.

I WANT a Galaxy/64 style mario adventure game.

If they do another 3D mario world game, with focus on multiplayer, im not buying their next console.

That would be the death of Mario in my eyes.

Its been too long without a adventure style 3D mario, and a "real" paper mario game (not a sticker star, or platformer one).

"a 3D mario VS mode? items you can use against each other?"

"a Unique take on a shooter"

*face palm*

Please dont kill Mario, Mr LastStarFighter.

Some of us want a single player adventure platformer Mario.

You want to play a Mario shooter? ask nintendo to make a splatoon mario skin.

Want to play a vs mode, in mario? go play Smash.

Mario the platformer is so important to nintendo, I think if you f*** too much with the formula, and forget about it, you could run nintendo into the ground.

*Facepalm.

You missed the point.  You still have your single player adventure Mario - which I want as well - but there is also a vs mode that expands the value of the game.  And it's not a shooter, it's essentiall the "competitive" elements of 3DW and NSMBU, moved to an environment built for it.  A vs. 3D platformer.  It could be a fresh concept that would excite fans, new and old.  Also, moving multiplayer elements online would allow for a return to the style of 3D single player you seem to prefer.

I think the next big innovation is returning to the collection of Stars while supporting split-screen co-op.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

they should totally reinvent the genre.

mario is controlled by the computer and you control the platforms. innovation!

If they're doing open world again I would definitely prefer it be a Mario 64 style will a ton of different interesting levels instead of one big level (I just can't see that ever working). It's always fun to see a new level, they're always so damn well made! And this is including levels in 3D World, I still adore that game.

I'm still not opposed to another game like 3D World, and they're realistically going to go with whatever one they think they can sell the most copies with and keep people happy.

kitler53 said:
they should totally reinvent the genre.

mario is controlled by the computer and you control the platforms. innovation!

Like this?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile