By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - 21:9 aspect ratio moniters? (2560x1080 and 3440x1440)

I have noticed that ultra-wide monitors with the aspect ratio of 21:9 and resolution of 3440x1440 or 2560x1080 seem to have become popular lately.

But not all games support 3440x1440 or 2560x1080 resolution and not all games look good in that 21:9 aspect ratio?

Could somebody explain the idea of these monitors and how you solve the aspect ratio problems.

EDIT: I misspelled "moniters" on purpose. I love when I see misspellings like that.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

I have noticed that ultra-wide monitors with the aspect ratui of 21:9 and resolution of 3440x1440 seem to have become popular lately.

But not all games support 3440x1440 res and not all games look good in that 21:9 aspect ratio?

Could somebody explain the idea of these monitors and how you solve the aspect ratio problems.

Stop playing older games and play newer games.  Almost every new game that has 4k support has support for the 1440p ultrawide 3440x1440.

The idea of these monitors is to provide an experience similr to those with two or three monitors, but without all the troubles that those kinds of setups have (like bezels, different calibrations or monitor setups).

When the game supports them, you get a bigger wider picture that can give you an advantage in fps or strategy games as you can see more of the battlefield. Unfortunately not all the games support it, but in those cases you can adjust the monitor to a 16:9 picture and play at 2560x1440.

*Edit*

There's a little software that "fixes" some games (about 100 or so, listed in the site) that don't support the ultra wide resolution: http://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/

Also, you can visit this site for more info, help and tips: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=95

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:

The idea of these monitors is to provide an experience similr to those with two or three monitors, but without all the troubles that those kinds of setups have (like bezels, different calibrations or monitor setups).

When the game supports them, you get a bigger wider picture that can give you an advantage in fps or strategy games as you can see more of the battlefield. Unfortunately not all the games support it, but in those cases you can adjust the monitor to a 16:9 picture and play at 2560x1440.

This.

I'm currently looking at this myself. I'm looking for 35" 3440x1440 with 144HZ and G-sync. Something I can fire 2 Big pascals at. There are some options but I hope there will be a lot more coming next year.

Though 5120×2160p could be nice as well.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If there's aspect ratio problems, I don't think you can solve them in any nice fashion. Unless a game supports the aspect ratio natively, you're bound to have something unpleasent. Either you get stretching or black borders somewhere. It's how it was with the switch from 4:3 to 16:9 and it's how it will be with any switches from 16:9 to something else as well.

My personal favorite solution is having the black borders because it doesn't distort the image, but it's not very nice and unless your video drivers support that kind of thing (at least NVIDIA drivers seem to support it), you'll need a monitor that supports it (mine does, which is why I haven't tried the drivers).

Personally I don't think there's going to be any problems if a game supports the aspect ratio natively though. I don't see why it would look worse than 16:9. In my eyes, the higher resolution and the power it takes is the only problem, and you can get around that with money (i.e. better graphics card).

Around the Network

Doom supports my 21:9 monitor but Forza doesn't (BOO!!!!!!). Both look amazing frankly, even if Forza has bars on the side. Mine is curved and I sit about 18" away, Doom is awesome in ultrawidescreen because it fully envelopes you.

hlfbkd420 said:

Doom supports my 21:9 monitor but Forza doesn't (BOO!!!!!!). Both look amazing frankly, even if Forza has bars on the side. Mine is curved and I sit about 18" away, Doom is awesome in ultrawidescreen because it fully envelopes you.

Yeah, damn I'm getting so tempted to buy a widescreen monitor the next time I build a new system when Vega comes out.

bevochan said:
Slimebeast said:

I have noticed that ultra-wide monitors with the aspect ratui of 21:9 and resolution of 3440x1440 seem to have become popular lately.

But not all games support 3440x1440 res and not all games look good in that 21:9 aspect ratio?

Stop playing older games and play newer games.  Almost every new game that has 4k support has support for the 1440p ultrawide 3440x1440.

"Stop playing older games" lol

That's not an option. There's so many old games that are good and that I still must play.

Age of Empires 2 HD edition I can't imagine supports ultrawide, and I doubt Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Oblivion and Mount & Blade do, just to name a few.

Slimebeast said:
bevochan said:

That's not an option. There's so many old games that are good and that I still must play.

Age of Empires 2 HD edition I can't imagine supports ultrawide, and I doubt Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Oblivion and Mount & Blade do, just to name a few.

Yar...  So many games...  I have the most rediculous backlog of games on 360, one, and PC...  It's not even pretty.  Having a family leaves little time to game.

hlfbkd420 said:
Slimebeast said:

Yar...  So many games...  I have the most rediculous backlog of games on 360, one, and PC...  It's not even pretty.  Having a family leaves little time to game.

Time to sell the family , though a word of warning get a proper valuation , I only got enough for my family to afford a picture of a 4k monitor ,then found out my family where  valuable  antiques.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot