By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is focusing more on old games rather than new games.

Microsoft's software output?

Good, I'm not complaining. 47 20.35%

Not bad, but they can do better. 50 21.65%

Bad, I'm not happy. 134 58.01%

Total:231
barneystinson69 said:
Risthel said:
Am i the only one who have this impression? Recently I'm reading how many games Microsoft is adding to their backwards compatibility (which is nice), but they're having a poor 2016 so far regarding new titles: - Fable Legends: cancelled, Lionhead closed; - Project Spark: closed; - Phantom Dust: cancelled (not official but come on, you still believe it exists?); - Scalebound: delayed to 2017 - Recore: delayed (again, not official, but I think it's safe to say it). And maybe I'm forgetting something. The only game that came out is Quantum Break, which didn't actually set the world on fire. Not to say that their support for Windows 10 games is pretty bad, but this is another story. Microsoft's management of their first party software output has never been good to begin with this gen, but it's really becoming awful. It's almost like they are slowing giving up and that they don't care so much anymore. Even Phil Spencer stopped tweeting about his daily routine (or maybe the videogame media stopped making news for every tweet he's writing). I'm not expecting anything big at Microsoft E3 this year honestly, only games already announced and some sort of hardware revision. What do you think about it?

What is there to do? Phil Spencer only became head 2 years ago, that isn't much time for any reform. Any new games coming out would likely take a couple years longer to become a reality. Realistically, they need to just focus their efforts on their next-gen console, as its clear the XB1 has been a lemon for them. Hoping for the best, but we'll just have to wait and see.

He's been the General Manager of Microsoft Studios since 2008, so for 8 years Phil's had his say on what games get greenlit or how studios should operate, along with new studios being created, I think that's more than enough time for a person in a position of power to effect change.

Phil would have been able to give his opinions on XB1 and combine any internal or external feedback together to report to higher ups on what the needs would have been for this generation. If Microsoft ignore the XB1 and don't put out solid, fresh exclusives people will have no faith in the next platform. This E3 needs to be about Microsoft showing off a load of new IPs that are exclusive to XB1, fresh games that appeal to a bigger audience than the same core Xbox gamers, I don't see it happening because Microsoft have been doing the same thing all this time Phil has been in a position to do anything about Microsoft's own internal game development.

Hopefully some new studios have been built that are focused on new titles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Spencer_%28business_executive%29

Around the Network

Ms isn't doing bad, it's just that Sony is doing better. With the bigger install base expect this to continue.

I think the 360 BC is a wrong way to spend your recources. You know they could make a properly emulator for the original Xbox instead which also a x86 machine, to run an universal emulator giving you access for 700+ games. It wouldnt cost them as much as going to each indevidual game modefifying it and asking the original publisher.

Games like Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragon Orta, Silent Hill 2&4, Genma Onimusha, Time Splitters 2&Future perfect, Fatal Frame 1&2 arent even avaible on the PS360 

LudicrousSpeed said:
Companies go through periods like this. Sony had it last year, Nintendo has stretches with not much on the WiiU.

They've had Quantum Break, Ori, Cobalt, and a new Killer Instinct already this year. Still got lots of big games coming this year.

I'm happy MS is doing a fan service like backwards compatibility that doesn't require you to pay to stream your already owned games over the Internet, or rebuy them digitally in order to be able to play them. Not to mention, how much effort do you really thing it takes for people to make this happen? I would imagine there is literally 0 affect on game development.

E3 is only a few weeks away.

Really? Sony at least put up games after games since the lauch of the ps3 consistantley

JustBeingReal said:
barneystinson69 said:

What is there to do? Phil Spencer only became head 2 years ago, that isn't much time for any reform. Any new games coming out would likely take a couple years longer to become a reality. Realistically, they need to just focus their efforts on their next-gen console, as its clear the XB1 has been a lemon for them. Hoping for the best, but we'll just have to wait and see.

He's been the General Manager of Microsoft Studios since 2008, so for 8 years Phil's had his say on what games get greenlit or how studios should operate, along with new studios being created, I think that's more than enough time for a person in a position of power to effect change.

Phil would have been able to give his opinions on XB1 and combine any internal or external feedback together to report to higher ups on what the needs would have been for this generation. If Microsoft ignore the XB1 and don't put out solid, fresh exclusives people will have no faith in the next platform. This E3 needs to be about Microsoft showing off a load of new IPs that are exclusive to XB1, fresh games that appeal to a bigger audience than the same core Xbox gamers, I don't see it happening because Microsoft have been doing the same thing all this time Phil has been in a position to do anything about Microsoft's own internal game development.

After the success of the Kinect in 2010 the higher-ups like Mattrick demanded "Games as a service" and "focus on the cloud" and "TV integration" and "Kinect 2.0." Phil was against that...but he couldn't do much about it.

That's why games like Kinect Sports Rivals, Project Spark, Fable Legends, Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, etc. exist. They're focused on the cloud / part of the 2011-2013 mentality.

Spencer has been leading since March 2014, so he is responsible for games greenlit in 2014-2015...which we won't see until 2017-2018 at the earliest. They had to work through all of the old Mattrick titles, but now they're pretty much done with that with cancellations and closures and releases, with a couple of stragglers left to come out (like Sea of Thieves / Crackdown).

Scalebound was one of the first games formally greenlit and put into motion under Phil Spencer's tenure. Recore was greenlit in April 2014...another game by Spencer as Head of Xbox. Again, you're not going to see them until 2017, probably. And both games are traditional games...they don't focus on the cloud or games as a service nonsense.

Halo Wars 2 is another game by Spencer when job postings started showing up around May 2014.

Games just take a while to come out.

"Microsoft's software output"

Output? I mean the last few games weren't even made by them: Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive from Squeenix and QB is Remedy.

Phil seem to have the best of intentions but almost every game he shows comes to PC giving me no reasons to get an Xbox. He also shouldn't have bothered to win gamer cred with 360 BC. The 360 was already a HD console so there's literally no reason to have BC of that, the emulation isn't even perfect, your 360 games don't look better, in fact it has awful frame drops in games like Halo Reach. If he wanted to do good he would've given og Xbox BC.

MS still seems to be mostly Halo, Gears and Forza, just like they were 5 years ago. Just how many new AAA IPs did the other team's studio start while also maintaining their older IPs since then?

If this E3 is another dud then I don't think Phil is the savior many thought he would be.

Around the Network

Are you saying they lied to us when they said (multiple times) that this year (2016) will be THE Best Line-Up in Xbox History?

Aquamarine said:
JustBeingReal said:

After the success of the Kinect in 2010 the higher-ups like Mattrick demanded "Games as a service" and "focus on the cloud" and "TV integration" and "Kinect 2.0." Phil was against that...but he couldn't do much about it.

That's why games like Kinect Sports Rivals, Project Spark, Fable Legends, Quantum Break, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, etc. exist. They're focused on the cloud / part of the 2011-2013 mentality.

Spencer has been leading since March 2014, so he is responsible for games greenlit in 2014-2015...which we won't see until 2017-2018 at the earliest. They had to work through all of the old Mattrick titles, but now they're pretty much done with that with cancellations and closures and releases, with a couple of stragglers left to come out (like Sea of Thieves / Crackdown).

Scalebound was one of the first games formally greenlit and put into motion under Phil Spencer's tenure. Recore was greenlit in April 2014...another game by Spencer as Head of Xbox. Again, you're not going to see them until 2017, probably. And both games are traditional games...they don't focus on the cloud or games as a service nonsense.

Halo Wars 2 is another game by Spencer when job postings started showing up around May 2014.

Games just take a while to come out.

Scalebound was leaked as Project Nagano back in January 2014 before Phil took over. MS' entire line-up was leaked back then, any game that wasn't on there is likely Phil's. That include ReCore and Sea of Thieves. He may also be responsible for cancelling Black Tusk's Shangheist project and turning them into the Gears mill. 

Azzanation said:
They just released Quantum Break and have Sea of Thieves and ReCore coming soon.

I think they have a good balance old and new.

Do you realize that we are past the middle of May?

We are aproaching the half of this year and there has been One, 1 relevant retail exclusive for the X1.

I dont know about you guys, but thats BAD.

Also, if ReCore is released this year, i swear to God i will change my name to Parappa the Rapper.

Overall MS and Nintendo have been very poor in first party offerings for XB1 and Wii U compared to Xbox 360 and Wii at the same point in time. But I suppose both companies at the time thought that they could win the generation hard. Sony's PS4 offerings easily beat the lackluster early PS3 offerings for the same point in time and its paying dividends.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Companies go through periods like this. Sony had it last year, Nintendo has stretches with not much on the WiiU.

They've had Quantum Break, Ori, Cobalt, and a new Killer Instinct already this year. Still got lots of big games coming this year.

I'm happy MS is doing a fan service like backwards compatibility that doesn't require you to pay to stream your already owned games over the Internet, or rebuy them digitally in order to be able to play them. Not to mention, how much effort do you really thing it takes for people to make this happen? I would imagine there is literally 0 affect on game development.

E3 is only a few weeks away.

Sony had the same period last year? was you even around for the first 9 month's of last year? Xb1 had nothing until the holidays, Nintendo had a game after 6 month's but Sony managed at least to spread out their release-window out their year even though it wasn't perfect.

Why did you claim that Sony is in the same position as Microsoft last year, when Microsoft is doing slightly better then what they did last year but also slightly worse then what Sony did last year?

Accurate information.

Sony at least delivered games last year so that we could play through the first 9 month's 

PSN: Opticstrike90
Steam: opticstrike90