By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Petition: Remove Uncharted 4 Washington Post Review from Metacritic

Bandorr said:

"Well, it's the policy of the Washington Post that their reviews have no score."

I did notice that no matter which articles I looked at I didn't see any scores.

So why did the first review give it a four out of four? Was that some kind of joke? Was that an "unofficial" score? That is the point I don't really get. There are two reviews, one with a score and one without. If they generally don't give one - why did they give one the first time?

Was the first article the "joke" article? Is that why it gave a score, and wasn't submitted to metacritic?

The first review was just them posting an AP article on their website. It was not something they wrote. AP articles can be used by any news outlet. The first review can be found on many websites, I linked 3 in my post. It wasn't a joke review. It just wasn't the Washington Posts review.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
Where is the petition to remove the perfect 10s?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Tmfwang said:

You are forgetting that the 4/10 review also is written by an AP member, so Metacritic, if they followed their own rules, should not have counted that review as well...

No it wasn't. He's a freelance writer but his work was not AP. His review was written specifically for the Washington Post.

I cant believe some people are defending this mediocre "journalist" and his empty " review", even if i find that petition silly ( because it will bring even more articles, analysis on the market and highlight this particular review that doesnt deserve such fame , but people really dont think about the consequences of their actions , the author of the petition did exactly why this troll from WP wanted )

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

LudicrousSpeed said:

By removing his review from Metacritic, you actually are silencing him. And you are stripping away his freedom of speech.

You have no freedom of speech in a private forum.  None.  THAT PHRASE DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS SITUATION.  It's like saying Metacritic is taking away my freedom of speech because they won't post the review I did on my blog.  The concept refers to government censorship and has nothing to do with this in any way, shape, or form.  

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Tmfwang said:

You are forgetting that the 4/10 review also is written by an AP member, so Metacritic, if they followed their own rules, should not have counted that review as well...

No it wasn't. He's a freelance writer but his work was not AP. His review was written specifically for the Washington Post.

Okay, Im not really sure what an AP writer is anyway XD

BUT MC can only count staff members review, seeing as he wasnt a staff member this review shouldnt have been counted....? 

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

5,000 Signatures, and still going strong

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Where does it give a 4/10 in the review. I mean like I don't see it, I read through it the review and I don't know where the 4/10 came from. It is there decision to give the game that score but I still don't see it.

And that right there is the Issue. If MC is going to accept a 4/10 review then there needs be an actual source of that review with the score provided but there isn't, so the petition was created because of this reason. Any source on where they might of gotten the 4/10 other then the 4/4 from the other review from the WP site?

I don't like MC for this very reason, they allow any person to make a review and its just as substantial as any other review with credibility. I am not against the 4/10, I am against the fact that it is no where stated that it is a 4/10 on the site.

pokoko said:

LudicrousSpeed said:

By removing his review from Metacritic, you actually are silencing him. And you are stripping away his freedom of speech.

You have no freedom of speech in a private forum.  None.  THAT PHRASE DOES NOT APPLY TO THIS SITUATION.  It's like saying Metacritic is taking away my freedom of speech because they won't post the review I did on my blog.  The concept refers to government censorship and has nothing to do with this in any way, shape, or form.  

Sounds like you need to start a petition to get this guy to remove freedom of speech from his petition :)

Bandorr said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

The first review was just them posting an AP article on their website. It was not something they wrote. AP articles can be used by any news outlet. The first review can be found on many websites, I linked 3 in my post. It wasn't a joke review. It just wasn't the Washington Posts review.

Oh.  That actually clears a lot of for me. It wasn't WP article,  it was just an article they are using. So it the reason it had a score, was because it wasn't WPs review.

Was the second article the WP, or was it another AP? What does AP stand for, and how can I find out if one is such?

Sorry if that is too many questions - you are the first person that seems to have actual answers so now I'm curious.

Associated Press.  Anyone with the AP organization can post an article on the AP news service and any related publication can post it in their own work.  It's how a newspaper in New York can have an article written that morning in California.  It's like news articles shared between publications.