By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Monster Hunter needs a revamp

I only played MH3 and MH4U and Generations is already looking too similar, so I decided to skip it. I also noticed that many of the animations in MH4U are very similar to MH3. It just feels a bit like a copy-paste kind of game. How difficult can it be to add new monsters?

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Hopefully Monster Hunter on the NX gets a change that makes me want to get into it. It always felt like Capcom's low-budget answer to Dark Souls to me. I like Dark Souls. If MH had actual level design instead of segmented zones, and a story that wasn't less shallow than Souls stories, and VA, I'd probably eat that shit up.

Honestly, I might even give up the VA if it had the first two.

You can't possibly expect Souls quality from a MH game. lol

Mystro-Sama said:

I genuinely think it has potential.

spemanig said:
Mystro-Sama said:

I genuinely think it has potential.

For once I 100% agree.  I think MonHun good be a juggernaut in the West and around the world.  But it needs to 1) get back on consoles where people expect those types of games and 2) get the budget and support to have bigger levels, gorgeous visuals, perhaps even some good lore presented Souls style as a sort of ambient addition.  Basically, Capcom just needs the balls to go big.

Nuvendil said:

For once I 100% agree.  I think MonHun good be a juggernaut in the West and around the world.  But it needs to 1) get back on consoles where people expect those types of games and 2) get the budget and support to have bigger levels, gorgeous visuals, perhaps even some good lore presented Souls style as a sort of ambient addition.  Basically, Capcom just needs the balls to go big.

It's not even lore so much as an actual campaign. Like I just want to feel some motivation to play the game from start to finish outside of killing monsters being fun. I don't even care about it being on consoles. Just a decent campaign and have a connected world with a sense of place. No more zones, dammit.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Nuvendil said:

It's not even lore so much as an actual campaign. Like I just want to feel some motivation to play the game from start to finish outside of killing monsters being fun. I don't even care about it being on consoles. Just a decent campaign and have a connected world with a sense of place. No more zones, dammit.

Well, the zones structure at this point really is a handheld limitation.  Wii U, PS4, Xbone, all these could give them an open world that is interconnected.  The 3DS just struggles to do so.  And yeah, a more directed structure and sense of progression would help a lot with supplementing the already present reward loop.

sc94597 said:
Kerotan said:
A ps4 exclusive MH5 with an NX handheld version that's completely different like the DQ11 deal would be awesome. I guess we'll find out in the near future what they plan.

Why would they go through all of the effort to make a PS4 exclusive if the NX is suppose to be a unified platform device? It makes more sense to just port the game from NX (all form factors) to PS4, if they really want the game on the PS4. I mean the series has been made for 6th gen equivalent hardware for so long any upgrade will feel like a lot. The difference between the NX (even the handheld) and the PS4 shouldn't be big enough to warrant two essentially different games, and the sales benefit would be much lower than for Dragon Quest (MH doesn't sell well on home platforms while Dragon Quest sells well on any platform.) 

You can't say they wouldn't sell on home consoles.  and you can't base it off the sloppy second ports that Wii U,  Wii and ps3 got.  

Make a proper monster hunter 5 for ps4 this Christmas and it sells 2m+ WW. Then release your watered down handheld version on NX and psv 6 months later and it will do exactly as it always does. 

This way we can get a really good and advanced MH5 and capcom can still have good total sales.  Ps4 in Japan,  China and rest of Asia is going to have a much better presence than the next Nintendo home console which will be starting from zero next March.  not to mention Europe,  NA and the rest of the world. 

Hell the handheld version could probably be ported to psvr and offer a really fresh new experience.  

Nuvendil said:

Well, the zones structure at this point really is a handheld limitation.  Wii U, PS4, Xbone, all these could give them an open world that is interconnected.  The 3DS just struggles to do so.  And yeah, a more directed structure and sense of progression would help a lot with supplementing the already present reward loop.

I actually like the zones system. It cuts out the hassle of having to travel for ages across a big open world, and it works gameplay wise in that it breaks up the fights into segments, and allows you to get out of the fray to heal or sharpen your blade.

I know there's a trend to make everything "open world" these days and I personally dont think every game should follow this formula, but I def. think MH would benefit a lot if it did.

Kerotan said:
sc94597 said:

Why would they go through all of the effort to make a PS4 exclusive if the NX is suppose to be a unified platform device? It makes more sense to just port the game from NX (all form factors) to PS4, if they really want the game on the PS4. I mean the series has been made for 6th gen equivalent hardware for so long any upgrade will feel like a lot. The difference between the NX (even the handheld) and the PS4 shouldn't be big enough to warrant two essentially different games, and the sales benefit would be much lower than for Dragon Quest (MH doesn't sell well on home platforms while Dragon Quest sells well on any platform.) 

You can't say they wouldn't sell on home consoles.  and you can't base it off the sloppy second ports that Wii U,  Wii and ps3 got.  

Make a proper monster hunter 5 for ps4 this Christmas and it sells 2m+ WW. Then release your watered down handheld version on NX and psv 6 months later and it will do exactly as it always does. 

This way we can get a really good and advanced MH5 and capcom can still have good total sales.  Ps4 in Japan,  China and rest of Asia is going to have a much better presence than the next Nintendo home console which will be starting from zero next March.  not to mention Europe,  NA and the rest of the world. 

Hell the handheld version could probably be ported to psvr and offer a really fresh new experience.  

The Wii and PS2 games weren't ports. They were original titles in the series that were later ported to handhelds. 2 mil WW is nothing for a series that consistently sells 4.5-5 million on a much smaller budget. Sorry, you're living in fantasy land where game companies aren't look to maximize profit. Your best bet is an HD NX title with a PS4 port. That is okay though, because modern games are mostly scalable and it would be an upgrade over the 3DS games regardless. 

If MH couldn't succeed like it does on handhelds on the PS2 or Wii I can't see it happening on the PS4.