By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: NX not gonna use X86 architecture, raw power close to XBO

Alright, this "news" is kind of annoying me because everyone is taking it as gospel. Even if the specs that Emily is talking about are real, the developers still only have first iteration DEV KITS. Since when are dev kits considered final build specs? The power CURRENTLY is on par with XBOne, sure, but are we really thinking it will stay that way? I know I'm not, I think it will be above both XBOne and PS4 in terms of power, and until I see official final specs from Nintendo, there is no reason for me to think these dev kits have even close to the final components in them

NNID: Dongo8                              XBL Gamertag: Dongos Revenge

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

You really think Sony can't release a controller with a cheap LCD display on it? Having a screen on the controller didn't do shit for the Wii U anyway.

You don't even need a screen on the controller, just allow streaming to a tablet/phone, everyone has one of those in their house already.

These are things Nintendo can't patent and will be copied easily if they have any degree of market success. Microsoft laughs at tiny little DeNA, they can't do anything they couldn't do far better.

You can be digital only to your hearts content today on PS4 or XB1 already. You never have to buy anything physically if you don't want. Hell even Wii U does this already. Who cares.

I'm 1000% sure they won't for the PS4, and if they did it would flop immediately. If the entire installed base doesn't have it, it not a reliable feature. If it isn't reliable, it won't be supported. It it's not supported, no one will buy it. If you need an external device like a phone to improve your UI, your UI isn't good enough. That's ridiculus. Thinking that having people pull out their phones to navigate their console's UI is an even remote answer to a system with a touch screen UI built in from the get go. You're reaching at nothing. You can't just address something like that with an add on later on, as Kinect and Move proved. You can't duck-tape touch-screen functionality to a platform that was never made to support it. It needs to be an integral part of the system from day one. Sony missed that boat. MS missed that boat. The copies would fail, because not most consumers would have it. That's like saying "oh, Apple released a phone with a touch screen? Big deal. Blackberry will just sell a touch screen attachment to plug into your old blackberry. Apple doesn't have a patent on touch screens. Problem solved!" Right.

The bit about the Wii U is expectedly simple minded of you. "If touch screens are so great, why didn't the Wii U sell a million-billion units? Hurdur."

DeNA can and will. Microsoft didn't build a platform that can achieve what Nintendo will achieve with NX. It doesn't matter that they could have. They didn't, and now they'll have to eat it while Nintendo does. Microsoft doesn't have a handheld with a dual screens, they don't have a touch screen controller that launched with the XBO, they don't have a digital only platform. That's what they'll need to do to have a platform that can do what the NX will do. Will they do all that? Of fucking course not. If they don't have hardware that can do all that hardware wise, nothing they can do when it comes to UI will make up for it because nothing on the current brand of traditional consoles has the features that would make it work. When NX is a screaming success, the best they'll be able to do with their current platform is make a digital only revision. They won't release a touch screen controller because the first 4 years of their software won't work for it, which means that all the talent in the world won't be able to make a controller based UI compete with a good touchscreen UI. They won't make a dual screen handheld which means they won't have the unified platform of systems that also have good touch screen UI.

And it's the same with Sony. They could make a digital only PS4 revision. That's it. They could release a Vita 2 and have that, but that will be as lame as the PS3/Vita integration for the same reasons - the initial platform was never built to work with a handheld brother. And since the system wouldn't be dual screened, they'd either both not have a touch screen for control compatability at the expense of a UI that won't come close to the NX's, or they'll have the Vita 2 with a touchscreen, causing imput compatability issues. No, Sony will eat it too. They'll both release digital only console revisions and wait out the generation because there's nothing else intelligent they can do to compete with the NX at that point. Then XB will integrate with PC, Sony will push PS Now as the PS4 successor, and everyone will have a different, modern evolution of what it means to be a console. But for it's first 4-5 years, NX is going to piss on the other two.

It doesn't matter if you can be digital only by choice. That's the issue with options. You can't tailor an experience to an optional feature because you can't rely on everyone to have it. The fact that physical exists on PS4 and XBO at all prohibits them from doing anything with it that NX will. "Who care's if some games use the Move. I'm using the DS3. Move fails. Wiimote was mandatory. Wii doesn't." It's the same with digital. When it's an option, it means nothing. When it's mandatory, it means everything. It's why My Nintendo is so underwhelming to so many people. They can't even benefit from it. Options are the problem here, not the solution.

She knows nothing she is just a girl. NX will be more powerfull than PS4 no worries.

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

You really think Sony can't release a controller with a cheap LCD display on it? Having a screen on the controller didn't do shit for the Wii U anyway.

You don't even need a screen on the controller, just allow streaming to a tablet/phone, everyone has one of those in their house already.

These are things Nintendo can't patent and will be copied easily if they have any degree of market success. Microsoft laughs at tiny little DeNA, they can't do anything they couldn't do far better.

You can be digital only to your hearts content today on PS4 or XB1 already. You never have to buy anything physically if you don't want. Hell even Wii U does this already. Who cares.

I'm 1000% sure they won't for the PS4, and if they did it would flop immediately. If the entire installed base doesn't have it, it not a reliable feature. If it isn't reliable, it won't be supported. It it's not supported, no one will buy it. If you need an external device like a phone to improve your UI, your UI isn't good enough. That's ridiculus. Thinking that having people pull out their phones to navigate their console's UI is an even remote answer to a system with a touch screen UI built in from the get go. You're reaching at nothing. You can't just address something like that with an add on later on, as Kinect and Move proved. You can't duck-tape touch-screen functionality to a platform that was never made to support it. It needs to be an integral part of the system from day one. Sony missed that boat. MS missed that boat. The copies would fail, because not most consumers would have it. That's like saying "oh, Apple released a phone with a touch screen? Big deal. Blackberry will just sell a touch screen attachment to plug into your old blackberry. Apple doesn't have a patent on touch screens. Problem solved!" Right.

The bit about the Wii U is expectedly simple minded of you. "If touch screens are so great, why didn't the Wii U sell a million-billion units? Hurdur."

DeNA can and will. Microsoft didn't build a platform that can achieve what Nintendo will achieve with NX. It doesn't matter that they could have. They didn't, and now they'll have to eat it while Nintendo does. Microsoft doesn't have a handheld with a dual screens, they don't have a touch screen controller that launched with the XBO, they don't have a digital only platform. That's what they'll need to do to have a platform that can do what the NX will do. Will they do all that? Of fucking course not. If they don't have hardware that can do all that hardware wise, nothing they can do when it comes to UI will make up for it because nothing on the current brand of traditional consoles has the features that would make it work. When NX is a screaming success, the best they'll be able to do with their current platform is make a digital only revision. They won't release a touch screen controller because the first 4 years of their software won't work for it, which means that all the talent in the world won't be able to make a controller based UI compete with a good touchscreen UI. They won't make a dual screen handheld which means they won't have the unified platform of systems that also have good touch screen UI.

And it's the same with Sony. They could make a digital only PS4 revision. That's it. They could release a Vita 2 and have that, but that will be as lame as the PS3/Vita integration for the same reasons - the initial platform was never built to work with a handheld brother. And since the system wouldn't be dual screened, they'd either both not have a touch screen for control compatability at the expense of a UI that won't come close to the NX's, or they'll have the Vita 2 with a touchscreen, causing imput compatability issues. No, Sony will eat it too. They'll both release digital only console revisions and wait out the generation because there's nothing else intelligent they can do to compete with the NX at that point. Then XB will integrate with PC, Sony will push PS Now as the PS4 successor, and everyone will have a different, modern evolution of what it means to be a console. But for it's first 4-5 years, NX is going to piss on the other two.

It doesn't matter if you can be digital only by choice. That's the issue with options. You can't tailor an experience to an optional feature because you can't rely on everyone to have it. The fact that physical exists on PS4 and XBO at all prohibits them from doing anything with it that NX will. "Who care's if some games use the Move. I'm using the DS3. Move fails. Wiimote was mandatory. Wii doesn't." It's the same with digital. When it's an option, it means nothing. When it's mandatory, it means everything. It's why My Nintendo is so underwhelming to so many people. They can't even benefit from it. Options are the problem here, not the solution.

OS features will never sell a console, because they can be copied in a firmware update over one weekend.

You can wax poetic about it all day long but that's really all that it boils down to.

Sony/MS are not stupid, they will copy any type of OS functionality that Nintendo has which makes any kind of real difference to consumers.

Reward programs and an eShop with digital games, none of this is impressing anyone. You sound like people who were saying Miiverse was going to be the next Facebook (laugh out fucking loud). Even if it had been, Sony/MS would've copied it.

Nintendo's not competing with Sony/MS it's becoming more obvious they're making a mobile centric platform likely using mobile components, this explains why in 2017 they can't even get a chip equal to an XBox One. Because they're using mobile (tablet) parts, likely because that whole unified platform schtick doesn't work otherwise.

PowerPC again? Well, I guess it worked for the 360. Should work for the NX...

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
PowerPC again? Well, I guess it worked for the 360. Should work for the NX...

It's probably ARM-based. Nintendo already uses ARM for their handhelds.

Soundwave said:

OS features will never sell a console, because they can be copied in a firmware update over one weekend.

You can wax poetic about it all day long but that's really all that it boils down to.

Sony/MS are not stupid, they will copy any type of OS functionality that Nintendo has which makes any kind of real difference to consumers.

Reward programs and an eShop with digital games, none of this is impressing anyone. You sound like people who were saying Miiverse was going to be the next Facebook (laugh out fucking loud). Even if it had been, Sony/MS would've copied it.

Nintendo's not competing with Sony/MS it's becoming more obvious they're making a mobile centric platform likely using mobile components, this explains why in 2017 they can't even get a chip equal to an XBox One. Because they're using mobile (tablet) parts, likely because that whole unified platform schtick doesn't work otherwise.

They'll sell the NX when combined with everything else it's doing. Fundumental flaw in your line of thinking is that you can't comprehend that.

They can't copy incompatible OS functionality. Nothing poetic about that. They can't copy touch based UI made for a unified platform of multiple hardware SKUs that rely on dual screens with a controlled and curated marketplace with no outside competition allowing for a program that rewards every purchase you make with more discounts on that same platform. Not on the PS4/XBO. It's not a firmware update away. It's a console and handheld relaunch away. They won't do that. Best they'll do is a digital only revision and then wait out the rest of their generation. Then maybe a small subset of their audience will be reliable for the kind of marketplace the NX will have Day 1. That won't come close to catching up with how far ahead NX will be in terms of platform by then.

It's not meant to be impressive by itself. NX is the sum of its parts. Already said that numerous times to you in numerous threads. Stop goldfishing and start remembering more than one post in the past. Never claimed that Nintendo was going to position digital only or My Nintendo as the killer app. They are glue. A means to an end. The gears that make the clock work. An unceremonious foundation to the NX empire.

Yes they are and no it's not. They aren't becoming a mobile centric platform at all. They are console focused, obviously. Even if the NX is slightly weaker than the XBO, you're acting like that's microconsole territory. That's a generational leap in power from the Wii U, and that's all it needs to be. All it's games will have parity with the PS4 and XBO, and that's all that matters.

Culipechi said:
I dont care about power. So its fine by me.

Unfortinateky third parties does. 

Sigh Nintendo. and there went all hope I had for them left. Well let's hope Themis rumour is wrong. I can't understand how any company seems to try so hard to lose. 

Intrinsic said:

Unfortinateky third parties does. 

Sigh Nintendo. and there went all hope I had for them left. Well let's hope Themis rumour is wrong. I can't understand how any company seems to try so hard to lose. 

They care about parity. NX has that according to this rumor. They're not losing anything.

spemanig said:

Soundwave said:

They'll sell the NX when combined with everything else it's doing. Fundumental flaw in your line of thinking is that you can't comprehend that.

They can't copy incompatible OS functionality. Nothing poetic about that. They can't copy touch based UI made for a unified platform of multiple hardware SKUs that rely on dual screens with a controlled and curated marketplace with no outside competition allowing for a program that rewards every purchase you make with more discounts on that same platform. Not on the PS4/XBO. It's not a firmware update away. It's a console and handheld relaunch away. They won't do that. Best they'll do is a digital only revision and then wait out the rest of their generation. Then maybe a small subset of their audience will be reliable for the kind of marketplace the NX will have Day 1. That won't come close to catching up with how far ahead NX will be in terms of platform by then.

It's not meant to be impressive by itself. NX is the sum of its parts. Already said that numerous times to you in numerous threads. Stop goldfishing and start remembering more than one post in the past. Never claimed that Nintendo was going to position digital only or My Nintendo as the killer app. They are glue. A means to an end. The gears that make the clock work. An unceremonious foundation to the NX empire.

Yes they are and no it's not. They aren't becoming a mobile centric platform at all. They are console focused, obviously. Even if the NX is slightly weaker than the XBO, you're acting like that's microconsole territory. That's a generational leap in power from the Wii U, and that's all it needs to be. All it's games will have parity with the PS4 and XBO, and that's all that matters.

Fundamental flaw in your thinking is assuming anyone gives a shit about a video game console OS.

An OS for a smartphone is important because it's a device that has to be able to send business documents, check email, give me Facebook updates, take photos, catalog those photos, take video, it needs to be able to give me driving directions to my rec league basketball or hockey game, it needs to remind me that I have a business meeting at 3 PM on Friday, it needs to be able to play music so I can listen to the Rocky soundtrack at the gym, etc. etc. etc.

No one wants to do any of this shit with a game console. I don't want to send/edit business documents on my game console. I don't want/need to check my Facebook on my game console. I don't need driving directions from my game console.

All a game system needs to do is play fucking games, have a compenet online network for GAMING, and play movies. That's it. That's all.

Trying to have game consoles do more than this has been tried multiple times and no gives a shit (ask Microsoft).

You're coalting two devices that are nothing alike because one is successful (by trying to associate the NX with the Apple iPhone ... the NX is never going to be the iPhone). It's like a unpopular kid trying to squeeze in next to the cool girl in the school photo assuming some of that will rub off on them.