By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Zelda Remasters&Spin-offs: An investment or not?

Investment for the Zelda team?

Yes, but I'm ok 27 65.85%

Yes, I'm not ok 7 17.07%

No, because... 7 17.07%

Total:41

I'm pretty confused here. VGChartz it's like a Nintendo subsidiary. I've seen so many mixes responses that I don't understand anymore.

When The Wind Waker HD was announced (2013 to release on 2013), Ocarina of Time 3D was already released 1.5 years ago (Summer 2011 on 3DS). At that time I went mad. What a surprise! My main gripe was to see the Zelda team investing time on unasked games. What we want (and would have sold at least few more units) were new games, not remasters.

I didn't want remasters, I wanted them to focus completely on the new game to release as soon as possible*. But then, people started to tell me that those games were done entirely by other team (which we know now that it is false as at least Eiji Aonuma has to oversee the project). More and more remasters and unasked spin-offs were released as time passed and no sign of the real release for the new Zelda HD.

Then, I moved the goal post. If the Zelda team is not invested on those remakes, why are they taking so long to develop the game? That gave me a conclusion: the Zelda team is not capable of developing a good game in a reasonble cycle, at least not with Eiji Aonuma in the front line.

And suddenly, the plot twist. Now people started defending them saying they have a lot to do: those remasters and spin-offs nobody asked.

What? VGChartz told me that remaster won't affect the development of the main game, and now it is the reason the game was not developed faster?

So now I ask again: Were those remasters and spin-off an investment in time for Eiji Aonuma and his team? Or not?

If it represents an investment, are you ok with them at the expenses of a new game?

Or if you believe remasters don't took time or resources, why did it take so long for the team to develop a single game?

I win regardless of your answer, but I think it is worth to discuss whether ot not those games affected the development of the current game.

*Note: releasing as soon as possible is not the same as rushing. So if your argument was going to be that, save it and don't waste my time.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

Nintendo needs bigger teams and give younger developers a chance, when they do things like Splatoon come out. I dont think those Zelda remasters were made by the main team, they could easily give those to devs like Bluepoint.

Turkish said:
Nintendo needs bigger teams and give younger developers a chance, when they do things like Splatoon come out. I dont think those Zelda remasters were made by the main team, they could easily give those to devs like Bluepoint.

Well, as far as I know:

OoT3D - Grezzo

TWWHD - Zelda team

Hyrule Warriors - Tecmo

MM3D - Grezzo

Triforce Heroes - Zelda team

TPHD - Tantalus

HW Legends - Tecmo

Aonuma was involved with every one of them and even the Zelda team developed a character for Hyrule Warriors, or so I remember reading.

Its fine if people like it I guess. I dont mind the remasters, but games like Hyrule Warriors and whatever the 3DS co-op game was called, I can live without.

Didn't Anouma say that WWHD was done by a smaller team from the Zelda team and it only took like 6-8 months to make?

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

Around the Network
Gammalad said:
Didn't Anouma say that WWHD was done by a smaller team from the Zelda team and it only took like 6-8 months to make?

Yes. With that conclusion we know that it didn't affect the main game, but somehow people also were defeding saying that it will help with the HD development of the main game and thus it will be released faster.

???

I don't see those remasters beeing a loss in development for the new Zelda from EAD3 since they were developed by GREZZO and Tanalus. If someone from EAD were to have worked on the ports alongside those two companies I'm shure it wouldn't be many people (max 10 imho) and it'd be for a very limited ammount of time.
If you want to know why Zelda U took so long it's because:
1-Wii U's failure, I'm confident the game is already ready for release on Wii U since holiday 2015/early 2016 but since Wii U failed they need to push it so that they can release it on NX;
2-EAD3 didn't have experience making HD games, just like the whole of Nintendo before the Wii U was a thing;
3-Zelda U/NX is EAD3's first attempt to making an Open World game (which also translates to their biggest game to date);

I love Hyrule Warriors. Love it. And I have loved playing through WWHD and TPHD again; so much so in fact, my enthusiasm for Zelda (which whilst already pretty high) is now through the roof. Maybe others may be upset about the remakes and remasters but I hope that Nintendo continues to do things like this for fans like myself. If it weren't for the HD remakes on WiiU, those two amazing games would probably have been long forgotten by me, and I'm so glad that wasn't allowed to happen.

I love all of them - but time for a new Zelda pronto!

Switch!!!

Aonuma is painfully slow at developing games nowadays. That is a fact independent of any unlikely development stalling that would come from having small subteams working on TFH, or LBW, or WWHD, and so on. That is all.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!