By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Has Star Fox Zero killed the series?

Has Star Fox Zero killed the series?

Yes 95 36.54%

No 165 63.46%

Total:260

No, but we'll have to wait for ages to get the next Star Fox game.

Around the Network

This isn't exactly Bubsy 3D here, it's still a fun game even if it doesn't appeal to everyone.

About a decade and a half ago I brought home what I thought was a Star Fox game only to find that I'd be running around with dinosaurs using a staff as my primary weapon.

If that didn't kill the franchise, I'm fairly certain this didn't.

Paatar said:
zorg1000 said:

The thing is that the series had consistently declined after SF64.

Star Fox 64 (1997)-4.03 million

Adventures (2002)-1.87 million

Assault (2005)-1.08 million

Command (2006)-0.54 million

Each entry after SF64 did roughly half as well as the previous which caused Nintendo to put the series on hiatus.

If Star Fox Zero doesnt see a notable gain over the last couple installments than it is very likely that Nintendo will have very little interest in continuing the franchise.

Maybe they will give it one more shot, but if the next one doesnt give the series a big boost than it will probably be done for good or at least have another decade long hiatus.

What do you mean the thing is? That's all the Fire Emblem series has done too since before Awakening, was decline and decline after each entry. So not sure what that comparison does.

sorry i guess i wondered off track lol

what i mean is declining sales caused Nintendo to essentially kill the Star Fox series, a decade later they resurrected it, if sales dont increase upon its return than Nintendo likely has no desire to keep it alive.

on the other hand you are right that Fire Emblem had been declining before Awakening, the difference is that they had not put the franchise on hiatus yet, they said Awakening was the series last chance.

Awakening was FE last chance and it passed, Star Fox already had its last chance hence the decade long coma. if SFZ fails than it likely just confirms to Nintendo that they were right it killing it off.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Paatar said:

What do you mean the thing is? That's all the Fire Emblem series has done too since before Awakening, was decline and decline after each entry. So not sure what that comparison does.

sorry i guess i wondered off track lol

what i mean is declining sales caused Nintendo to essentially kill the Star Fox series, a decade later they resurrected it, if sales dont increase upon its return than Nintendo likely has no desire to keep it alive.

on the other hand you are right that Fire Emblem had been declining before Awakening, the difference is that they had not put the franchise on hiatus yet, they said Awakening was the series last chance.

Awakening was FE last chance and it passed, Star Fox already had its last chance hence the decade long coma. if SFZ fails than it likely just confirms to Nintendo that they were right it killing it off.

Nintendo mismanaged the franchise into the toilet, it used to be one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, the SNES and N64 versions both sold more than 4 million copies. That's more than any Metroid, console Kirby, or Fire Emblem game ever.

Then Miyamoto started tinkering with the series and refusing to make a proper sequel to Star Fox 64.

Seems more to me, like it may steer it more into the right direction. Shows Nintendo just cause you got a name on something, doesn't mean it'll sell :P.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

Around the Network
twintail said:
Cloudman said:
No, I don't think I would go that far. It'll probably just go dormant for awhile before having another game in the franchise. SF isn't one of those series that have sequels made often.

Because they keep rebooting it

Well, they did make 3 games before rebooting it again. Guess Miyamoto wanted to start fresh again.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

I highly doubt it. SF0 is everything modern gamers hate, steep learning curve for the control method and below par graphics, so it was never going to be a huge hit. But it also provides a unique gaming experience and when it gets it right, like on Fichina where you're constantly but naturally flicking between view points and control methods, it beats any point and shoot first/third person game. If anything, they've laid the perfect groundwork to release a more refined version on the nx.

I don't think so since it already sold 1/4 of a milion but it's second week in the US dropped A LOT faster than I expected, certainly it'll take A LOOOOONG time until we see the next Star Fox Game

Azzanation said:

What dont you like about it?

I've already gone in depth about it numerous times in other threads. Check those out.

While SF0 may have middling reviews, I think the IP is clearly as vibrant as it's ever been. The puppet ads and the animated short they've done for marketing this game are absolutely outstanding. However, I think it underscores a problem that the Star Fox IP has really had : the lack of a really clear creative vision for the series. It's obviously finally come together - but way to late to make any difference to the kind of game SF0 is.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016