By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - NX To Use ROMs Rather than Optical Discs?

setsunatenshi said:
no price increase from using roms instead of disks? that's only if Nintendo wants to eat the costs. not to mention limiting the media capabilities (bluray/dvds)

having said that I'd be down with an online store only option that was cheaper. I'm 100% digital by now anyway

I wonder what the costs would be for a 32 gb ROM.

Who knows maybe NX is going digital only to and they ROM's will only be for authentification. That way you could still sell/trade your games, and the ROM's would only need a small amount of storage capacity and you download the rest.

Around the Network
AbbathTheGrim said:
Netyaroze said:

Why would this make them happy ?

Because sarcasm is your friend.

Ok I understand, I thought I overlook some aspect.

spemanig said:

Wii U uses Macronix ROM, genius. The only thing confirmed is the lengths people will go to deny the inevitable digital only future.

This is about physical based ones.... from Macronix.

Nintendo order a bunch of them (to many to not be something used for like game cartridges).

AnthonyW86 said:

Who knows maybe NX is going digital only to and they ROM's will only be for authentification. That way you could still sell/trade your games, and the ROM's would only need a small amount of storage capacity and you download the rest.

That's literally what XBO did. Only MS did it cheaper. That's not gonna fly, bro. It's gonna be digital only as in digital ONLY.

Not digital, "but here's your consolation prize so you don't bitch about it."

Netyaroze said:
AbbathTheGrim said:

Because sarcasm is your friend.

Ok I understand, I thought I overlook some aspect.

So yes, this would make them very happy and we know Nintendo always puts third parties first, so this is very likely to happen.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Nintendo order a bunch of them (to many to not be something used for like game cartridges).

There's absolutely nothing about what was said in that passage that alludes to anything that's not already in the Wii and Wii U.

And I'm pretty sure the GCN, too. Marconix isn't new to this shit.

It would also be nice to get rid of all the external hard drive shit. Xbox1/ ps4 should have 5 terabyte hard drives internally with all of the God damn installs !!!! If I have as half the games I owned in gen 7 I would need 2 5 terabytes for both hang on the outside taking up to much space.

spemanig said:
JRPGfan said:

There's absolutely nothing about what was said in that passage that alludes to anything that's not already in the Wii and Wii U.

And I'm pretty sure the GCN, too. Marconix isn't new to this shit.

"An increased need for ROM chips above and beyond the usual level required for 3DS game production has been touted by some as possible evidence of a return to cartridge-based game delivery for Nintendo."

Nintendo suddenly starts ordering many many times the usual amount of ROM chips, like those used for 3DS game cartridiges.

And your saying thats nothing that alludes to anything not already in the Wii and Wii U?

AnthonyW86 said:
setsunatenshi said:
no price increase from using roms instead of disks? that's only if Nintendo wants to eat the costs. not to mention limiting the media capabilities (bluray/dvds)

having said that I'd be down with an online store only option that was cheaper. I'm 100% digital by now anyway

I doubt it, why would Nintendo want to incur in further costs just so you and I could re-sell their software without them seeing any money from it?

Honestly I'm hoping they, Sony and whatnot could release 2 SKU's, one with the bluray drive and another, cheaper without it for people who want to be full digital. Hoping for that to be the case on PS4 neo really.

There are downsides to this. Mostly the fact that Nintendo in the past made cardridges and asked outrages prices to developers, which wouldn't be smart.

Also current gen consoles use Blue Ray Discs and all they really do is install the data, they don't play them from the discs so there would be no real performance gain from the cardridges, which is a problem

I meen if they make the cardridges faster than a 5400RPM harddisk, how would people be able to download the games from the store... I don't see this idea working out to well for third party support.

It could obviously work if the main focus is the handheld device

Twitter @CyberMalistix