By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. May bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Well, most people wanted ice cream. What kind?

Mint-endo Chocolate Chip 18 7.35%

Sonyberry 157 64.08%

Microsoft serve 17 6.94%

Cookies and Dreamcast 19 7.76%

Vanilla 16 6.53%

Organic and pun-free, thank you 18 7.35%

Total:245

4 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#18 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle 
(same)
#55 XB1 Gears Bundle (up 4)
#67 PS4 Fool's Edition (up 4)

#90 PS4 UC4 Bundle (down 11)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)
#30 PS4 No Man's Sky (up 3)
#85 PS4 Star Ocean (re-entry)

UC4: 1/88/95
UCC: 27

UC4 still at number one, highest selling in the UK, Spain and Japan, great reviews, all point to a disappointing result.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

This is probably one of the most pointless and dumbest sales discussions I've seen in a while. Anyone who argues that Uncharted 4 "bombed" despite all the evidence to the contrary, is a giant bullshitter not even worth replying to. Seems like a typical case of a desperate alt account.

BraLoD said:

Vita is back!
And so lovely to see a discussion about U4 "bombing" in sales while nothing points to that, lol.
JP and UK is already a record to the series, has been #4 in the yearly here before even releasing, those PSN cards are fucking beasts, NOTHING has EVER beat those cards on the yearly this gen, and the part about failing to compete with giants... LOL, gonna beat Halo, has crossed The Division on PS4, so much salt....

Guys, stop discussing with Prinz, he comes here with a new alt to hate on Sony because it doesn't let him sleep at night watching it on the top.

Not even GTA V's Remaster charted higher than the PSN Cards ?.

5 hours since last update:

HARDWARE
#22 PS4 Black Ops III Bundle 
(down 4)
#67 XB1 Gears Bundle (down 12)
#75 PS4 Fool's Edition (down 8)

#99 PS4 UC4 Bundle (down 9)

SOFTWARE (pre-orders only)
#29 PS4 No Man's Sky (up 1)
#85 PS4 Star Ocean (re-entry)

UC4: 1/87
UCC: 31

Amiibo are set to mess things up for a while again.

The PS5 Exists. 

JRPGfan said:

"‘Uncharted 4’ is by far the most successful launch in the series beating ‘Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deceptions' debut week by 66%"

^ in the UK.

First week sales in the UK: "Uncharted 4" > "Halo 5 + Rise of the tombraider"

Uncharted 4 = 192k+ first week sales in the UK.

Rise of the tombraider = 42k first week sales in the UK.

Halo 5 = 150k sales first week in the UK.

Thats just 1 country.

Also apart from England and the USA, most places Playstation is like x4 times as big as Xbox.

Uncharted 4 is going to sell well.

The doom and gloom is too early.

Pretty sure at E3 sony will be bragging about sales numbers for Uncharted.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know, I knew these numbers a few hours after the PAL chart was posted a few days back. And as I've said multiple times, comparing two massive flops to the biggest AAA exclusive of this generation is not a useful comparison beyond saying it wasn't a complete abject failure. 

TheBlackNaruto said:

Okay so let me get this straight I will ignore Rachet and clank, Halo QB etc...Uncharted 4 did better thant he one game it mattered going by the UK alone Uncharted 3 66% better and Uncharted 3 is THE BEST selling uncharted to date so to say that it did not meet expectations or that it is doing badly is kind of crazy to be honest.And thanks that was a great read of the marketing campaign!

I mean with E3 coming up which is a HUGE stage and great place to announce this why waste it? Why not announce it on a much bigger stage? And so you are saying even though the data that we have suggests initial impressions are good....you are saying they are actually bad and expectations where not met? Because of multiple delays and "the presence in press conferences" not sure what that means or is even reffereing to. Okay I will just say we will agree to disagree and leave this conversation alone. I guess time will tell how things pan out.

Fair enough, I agree we need more numbers. I'm going off solely the information we have available right now and the information we knew about Uncharted 4 pre-launch. I just don't really think we should have to wait another month to discuss sales.

And as I said from my first post, I'm not comparing it to past games in the series, which it did 66% better than in UK and 3% better in Japan, that's decent growth for a series, but Uncharted was never really a hugely popular AAA franchise anyways. I said it's about context, the push from Sony was immense (as I've already said, largest in PlayStation history), and Sony pushed sort of almost as PS4's Halo 3; a game that could stand up to the big multiplatform games this gen. I see Sony trying to push Uncharted as their defacto main exclusive of PlayStation and give it a marketing push similar to GTA or Destiny or CoD (some marketing budget numbers would be helpful, though I doubt we'll ever get them), and then the LE bundle is MIA in the Amazon Top 100, radio silence from Sony regarding sales, and Amazon and other major retailers offering significant discounts a mere one week after launch. If that isn't a major red flag, I don't know what is. Battleborn is another game that received a swift discount on Amazon, and that was likely the biggest bomba of this year. I don't see any reasonable explanation why it would be discounted by 15-20% a week after launch beyond excess stock.

Uncharted 4 sold great enough for itself in context of Uncharted, but being sold at such a discount right after launch (in conjunction with other factors listed) show that it was likely overshipped and consequently failed to meet expectations. As I've said, it's the first big AAA exclusive Sony has pushed in years, has been the highlight of their conferences for years, the marketing campaign for this game was unreal, huge billboards all across major cities, plastered all on the stadium at the Champions' League, custom bundles, etc. and I just think it failed to make the splash Sony thought it would in reviews, word of mouth, hardware sales, and overall software sales. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it performed in US and how its legs are. 

RJ_Sizzle said:

Doesn't really matter anymore anyway since exclusives don't drive console sales like they used to. So far, UC4 is performing better than the previous entires so far. That's the only metric is needs to be compared to. Just because it gets a 15% discounnt on Amazon doesn't change matters much. I don't think anyone is expecting Destiny level numbers for Uncharted, but I'm sure they're satisfied with them nonetheless. 

If the game was already out of the top 20 on Amazon, maybe that would be an indicator of something to be concerned with. I don't think a PR statement is going to change the game much more. PS4 is already selling fine with or without major exclusives.

That's kind of my point here. I think Uncharted 4 is really the first massive AAA exclusive game this gen (Halo 5 being one, but it was a massive flop) and I think it proved that it did well enough for itself, but (and we'll need May numbers to say for more certain) it also shows that exclusives don't really have a major effect on sales and that Uncharted simply can't stand up to multiplatform giants this gen or exclusive giants last gen, which is what Sony was going for it seems (refer to previous posts)

Teeqoz said:
R&C was in development for 2 and a half years (it was announced at E3 2014, and the R&C team at Insomniac had been working on it since Into the Nexus' release), which is slightly more (150% more to be precise) than what you're saying.

"We needed to make a big game that blew away our previous efforts. It needed to sync up with the just-getting-started film. And we needed to ship it in 10 months to line up with the movie release."

If you include pre-production, dev time was likely around 12-14 months.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/272694/Ratchet__Clank_2016_postmortem.php

McReally said:
This is probably one of the most pointless and dumbest sales discussions I've seen in a while. Anyone who argues that Uncharted 4 "bombed" despite all the evidence to the contrary, is a giant bullshitter not even worth replying to. Seems like a typical case of a desperate alt account.

I've been a Sony fan since PS1. I'm discussing sales here, not trying to have a console war. 

Around the Network
Mazzy said:
JRPGfan said:

"‘Uncharted 4’ is by far the most successful launch in the series beating ‘Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deceptions' debut week by 66%"

^ in the UK.

First week sales in the UK: "Uncharted 4" > "Halo 5 + Rise of the tombraider"

Uncharted 4 = 192k+ first week sales in the UK.

Rise of the tombraider = 42k first week sales in the UK.

Halo 5 = 150k sales first week in the UK.

Thats just 1 country.

Also apart from England and the USA, most places Playstation is like x4 times as big as Xbox.

Uncharted 4 is going to sell well.

The doom and gloom is too early.

Pretty sure at E3 sony will be bragging about sales numbers for Uncharted.

You're not telling me anything I don't already know, I knew these numbers a few hours after the PAL chart was posted a few days back. And as I've said multiple times, comparing two massive flops to the biggest AAA exclusive of this generation is not a useful comparison beyond saying it wasn't a complete abject failure. 

TheBlackNaruto said:

Okay so let me get this straight I will ignore Rachet and clank, Halo QB etc...Uncharted 4 did better thant he one game it mattered going by the UK alone Uncharted 3 66% better and Uncharted 3 is THE BEST selling uncharted to date so to say that it did not meet expectations or that it is doing badly is kind of crazy to be honest.And thanks that was a great read of the marketing campaign!

I mean with E3 coming up which is a HUGE stage and great place to announce this why waste it? Why not announce it on a much bigger stage? And so you are saying even though the data that we have suggests initial impressions are good....you are saying they are actually bad and expectations where not met? Because of multiple delays and "the presence in press conferences" not sure what that means or is even reffereing to. Okay I will just say we will agree to disagree and leave this conversation alone. I guess time will tell how things pan out.

Fair enough, I agree we need more numbers. I'm going off solely the information we have available right now and the information we knew about Uncharted 4 pre-launch. I just don't really think we should have to wait another month to discuss sales.

And as I said from my first post, I'm not comparing it to past games in the series, which it did 66% better than in UK and 3% better in Japan, that's decent growth for a series, but Uncharted was never really a hugely popular AAA franchise anyways. I said it's about context, the push from Sony was immense (as I've already said, largest in PlayStation history), and Sony pushed sort of almost as PS4's Halo 3; a game that could stand up to the big multiplatform games this gen. I see Sony trying to push Uncharted as their defacto main exclusive of PlayStation and give it a marketing push similar to GTA or Destiny or CoD (some marketing budget numbers would be helpful, though I doubt we'll ever get them), and then the LE bundle is MIA in the Amazon Top 100, radio silence from Sony regarding sales, and Amazon and other major retailers offering significant discounts a mere one week after launch. If that isn't a major red flag, I don't know what is. Battleborn is another game that received a swift discount on Amazon, and that was likely the biggest bomba of this year. I don't see any reasonable explanation why it would be discounted by 15-20% a week after launch beyond excess stock.

Uncharted 4 sold great enough for itself in context of Uncharted, but being sold at such a discount right after launch (in conjunction with other factors listed) show that it was likely overshipped and consequently failed to meet expectations. As I've said, it's the first big AAA exclusive Sony has pushed in years, has been the highlight of their conferences for years, the marketing campaign for this game was unreal, huge billboards all across major cities, plastered all on the stadium at the Champions' League, custom bundles, etc. and I just think it failed to make the splash Sony thought it would in reviews, word of mouth, hardware sales, and overall software sales. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it performed in US and how its legs are. 

RJ_Sizzle said:

Doesn't really matter anymore anyway since exclusives don't drive console sales like they used to. So far, UC4 is performing better than the previous entires so far. That's the only metric is needs to be compared to. Just because it gets a 15% discounnt on Amazon doesn't change matters much. I don't think anyone is expecting Destiny level numbers for Uncharted, but I'm sure they're satisfied with them nonetheless. 

If the game was already out of the top 20 on Amazon, maybe that would be an indicator of something to be concerned with. I don't think a PR statement is going to change the game much more. PS4 is already selling fine with or without major exclusives.

That's kind of my point here. I think Uncharted 4 is really the first massive AAA exclusive game this gen (Halo 5 being one, but it was a massive flop) and I think it proved that it did well enough for itself, but (and we'll need May numbers to say for more certain) it also shows that exclusives don't really have a major effect on sales and that Uncharted simply can't stand up to multiplatform giants this gen or exclusive giants last gen, which is what Sony was going for it seems (refer to previous posts)

Teeqoz said:
R&C was in development for 2 and a half years (it was announced at E3 2014, and the R&C team at Insomniac had been working on it since Into the Nexus' release), which is slightly more (150% more to be precise) than what you're saying.

"We needed to make a big game that blew away our previous efforts. It needed to sync up with the just-getting-started film. And we needed to ship it in 10 months to line up with the movie release."

If you include pre-production, dev time was likely around 12-14 months.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/272694/Ratchet__Clank_2016_postmortem.php

McReally said:

I've been a Sony fan since PS1. I'm discussing sales here, not trying to have a console war. 

LoL a Exclusive franchise who sell 20+ Millions with 3 games isn't a Massive sucessful Triple A Game ?.

Swordmasterman said:

LoL a Exclusive franchise who sell 20+ Millions with 3 games isn't a Massive sucessful Triple A Game ?.

It's not worth it, mate, it's getting daft now.

The PS5 Exists. 

CGI-Quality said:

Yep. That said, I'd shoot a report about it rather than discussing it here much.

By all means, go ahead. I'd like to have a civilized conversation without baseless accusations flying around. Check my IP or what have you. I'd also be willing to provide (via PM to moderator of course) proof of my PSN account with over 6000 trophies, which I doubt any alts or trolls would have. I've been on NeoGAF for years and while I had always known VGC numbers were inaccurate, I was entirely unaware of the insightful sales-age community here. I've had no issues up until I dared question the success of a Sony exclusive at which point I had an angry witch hunt after me. But I suppose fanboys and all that...

CGI-Quality said:
Mazzy said:

By all means, go ahead. I'd like to have a civilized conversation without baseless accusations flying around. Check my IP or what have you. I'd also be willing to provide (via PM to moderator of course) proof of my PSN account with over 6000 trophies, which I doubt any alts or trolls would have. I've been on NeoGAF for years and while I had always known VGC numbers were inaccurate, I was entirely unaware of the insightful sales-age community here. I've had no issues up until I dared question the success of a Sony exclusive at which point I had an angry witch hunt after me. But I suppose fanboys and all that...

If you know anything about this site, then I'm sure that you're aware that calling people "fanboys" won't get you far. Regardless of who you have issues with.

I've backed up all of my points with proper logic and data and I've received hate and vitriol in return. Like I said, I just want to keep it sales, not console wars or any of that nonsense. 

Mazzy said:

It's not a witch hunt, it's just confusion about why you think it's not going to do well when every single piece of information we've had so far points to a success. It might not be a success, and all those pointers could be misleading, but that's unlikely. It doesn't help your case that you're moving that line of success beyond the Uncharted franchise, which makes it look like you're determined to be right in the face of these indications we're already seeing. It's sold more than any other Uncharted in the UK, Spain and Japan and it's been at number 1 on Amazon for two weeks which is something you never ever see. That could well be because of the lack of competition but beating those PSN cards is something very few games have done for even a couple of days. Everything points to the biggest sales in Uncharted history. That would be a success.

Why not compare the sales to GTA5? That sold 65m which would make Uncharted 4 a complete flop. See what I mean? It's a nonsensical stance to take.

The PS5 Exists.