By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the NX be able to play the 3DS/VC games on your account?

Tagged games:

With Nintendo pushing their brand new account system and with the NX coming soon, I'm wondering if the NX would be able to play the 3DS games I bought on the eShop. I mean, the NX will be more powerful than the 3DS, and they want to push digital sales, so making backwards compatibility through this would make sense.

And while we're at it, will Nintendo stop making people buy a copy of their VC games for each piece of hardware so we can get them on the NX just by having them on our account?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

on your account never, Need to repurchase them if possible.

BasilZero said:
hoala said:
on your account never, Need to repurchase them if possible.

This unfortunately.......

thats always how it works on nintendo plattforms so far. 

Probably not, unfortunately.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

hoala said:
BasilZero said:

This unfortunately.......

thats always how it works on nintendo plattforms so far. 

Nintendo love to sell you the same game, you already own on 1 system, again anew on a later system.

Around the Network

Depends on what the system is but there is a good chance it will

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Nintendo might double down all of the flaws they couldn't fix with the Wii U and 3DS, including cross-buy. They're already showing signs of trying to unify its products under the Nintendo Account thing. I'd be surprised if you couldn't use your 3DS games on NX.

bet: lost

Maybe if Nintendo is true to themselves about all this unifying business.

Darwinianevolution said:

With Nintendo pushing their brand new account system and with the NX coming soon, I'm wondering if the NX would be able to play the 3DS games I bought on the eShop. I mean, the NX will be more powerful than the 3DS, and they want to push digital sales, so making backwards compatibility through this would make sense.

And while we're at it, will Nintendo stop making people buy a copy of their VC games for each piece of hardware so we can get them on the NX just by having them on our account?

That's what I was thinking. 2DS retails at like 80$ now so the technology going into it for the 2DS to make a profit is less than 80$. 3DS compatibility would sell me on NX by itself. Especially if I could play my favorites on the big screen. The caveat being the NX controller would most likely need a screen of some capacity to streamline playing dual screen games on NX.

Ljink96 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

That's what I was thinking. 2DS retails at like 80$ now so the technology going into it for the 2DS to make a profit is less than 80$. 3DS compatibility would sell me on NX by itself. Especially if I could play my favorites on the big screen. The caveat being the NX controller would most likely need a screen of some capacity to streamline playing dual screen games on NX.

I think that a controller with some sort of touchscreen is a given, I'd be surprised if it hadn't. And even then, you could always get a WiiU gamepad for it, that way Nintendo still could profit from it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.