By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft CEO Warns of Dangers of a Hostile Takeover by Vivendi

Do you think Vivendi will acquire Ubisoft some day?

Yes 43 62.32%

No 20 28.99%

See results 6 8.70%

Total:69

The co-founder of  Ubisoft Entertainment is still warning of the dangers of a hostile takeover. These are by no means empty threats, with a takeover from French conglomerate Vivendi seeming imminent given their current ownership of 15% of the company.

Yves Guillemont claims the best weapon has against a Vivendi takeover is the possible mass-departure of creative talent:

While Ubisoft has done its due diligence — courting investors and hiring bankers to sound out alternatives — Guillemot, 55, knows that his best weapon is his talent. He’s said that a hostile takeover by Vivendi would “kill creativity.”

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/04/30/yves-guillemot-warns-vivendi-takeover-will-kill-creativity/

Last October, French media company Vivendi brought its stake in fellow French games publisher Ubisoft to more than 10 percent. By February of this year, that number jumped up to 15 percent, and today, according to Reuters, Vivendi has increased its stake again to 17.73 percent - the company also now has 15.66 percent of the voting rights in Ubisoft.

For its part, as of February Ubisoft said it has been seeking investors to pre-empt a potential hostile takeover, courting potential partners in Montreal, Toronto and London, and it would welcome direct investment from Canadian government. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau even toured the campus of Ubisoft Montreal with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot.

"We want to increase the number of Canadian shareholders in Ubisoft to have better control over the capital," Guillemot said at the time. "We feel it's a good defense."

Reuters notes, however, that despite Vivendi's continued purchase of more Ubisoft shares, the company "has no plan to seek control of Ubisoft or submit a public offer for outstanding shares."

Vivendi is roughly 12 percent shy of having enough shares in Ubisoft to trigger a mandatory takeover bid, which is what happened with Gameloft in February when Vivendi's ownership in the mobile games company crossed 30 percent.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-04-29-vivendi-increases-its-stake-in-ubisoft-to-almost-18-percent

Around the Network

I hope Vivendi never gets their hands on ubisoft.

fucking Vivendi... i really really hope they dont do a hostile take over. Ubisoft is a great publisher... dont ruin that.

I hate Ubisoft, but I'm pretty sure Vivendi would make the situation even worse if anything. So yeah, I find this pretty disturbing.

Poor Guillemot, he must be hysterical .

And I honestly think that Vivendi won't do a take over. They have enough influence (and they will get more as they buy more stakes) and knowledge of the industry to convince other shareholders to support their agenda and make Ubi do what they want.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network

If Vivendi takes over we'll get AC, Watch Dogs, Far Cry games yearly.

Ubisoft is a good publisher, shouldn't go down like that.

Ballas said:

That already happened with AC and we get a Far Cry game every two years (FC Primal_2016, FC4_2014, FC3_2012).

Ubisoft doesn't need help to milk their own franchises.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

It's oddly amusing watching one big guy who's seen as bad going up and trying to buy another. I'm honestly not fussed if they ever bought them because as far as things go Ubisoft hasn't given me a game worth a damn let alone an excellent port in years since AC II and even then we have U(can't)Play to deal with which is the worst client by far.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I haven't bought a ubisoft game in like forever lol thwy don't have any titles that really interest me

JEMC said:
Ballas said:

That already happened with AC and we get a Far Cry game every two years (FC Primal_2016, FC4_2014, FC3_2012).

Ubisoft doesn't need help to milk their own franchises.

They are not doing it any more with AC and one game every two years is fine.